Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone through the owner's manual and service manual and cannot find out anything about checking the transmission fluid. I found how to check the power steering, motor oil, antifreeze and gearbox fluids but nothing about the tranmission.

Is there a way to check the F1 transmission fluid on a 02 360 Modena?

Lastly, everytime I try to search for something, say "checking motor oil," I get a bunch of responses. Most of these responses have any one of the three words in it. None of them have all three words. Is there a way to do a search for only the word string of, "checking motor oil?"

Thanks everyone (again)!

·
Premium Member
11,888 Posts
Rob- The transaxle uses 75W-90 transmission oil/fluid, while the F1 system uses a special hydraulic fluid that is essentially synthetic automatic transmission fluid. Naturally, there are two separate ways to check fluid level. Go to ferraridatabase.com and download a free workshop manual for your 360 and it will show you how to check both. Be advised Ricambi sells the Tutela CS Speed for use in the 360 F1 system and there is a technical bulletin, attached below, on how to fill and check the F1 fluid level.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are the best Taz!

I saw that in the manual but figured there had to be a dipstick or something. Is using this tool the only way to check the F1 oil? Seems complicated???

·
Premium Member
11,888 Posts
Rob- There is a dipstick on the F1 reservoir, but it gives inaccurate readings. I have half of my F1 fluid pulled out every year and fresh put in so I do not have to bleed the F1 system like you do if you change all the fluid.

Remember, the transmissions in the F1 and three pedal cars are exactly the same, as is the clutch. Only the throw-out bearing and shifter mechanisms differ.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Terry, don't you think that changing the fluid just in the tank is pretty much useless considering that such hydraulic fluid remains static in the lines and actuators? Only full bleeding would renew the fluid in the hoses?

·
Premium Member
11,888 Posts
Stef- There is a hydraulic pump pushing the fluid around, so I do not believe the fluid is completely static in the lines. Mixing occurs when the lines are activated for gear and clutch actuation, so having new fluid in the reservoir improves the overall average age of the fluid.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pretty well covered.

The only observation I have to add is if you overfill the tank.............

After the fluid heats up from a drive it expands.

The excess drains overboard (behind the right rear tire). Leaves a nice little puddle on your garage floor & freaks you out thinking you have leak in the system

·
Registered
199 Posts
The excess drains overboard (behind the right rear tire). Leaves a nice little puddle on your garage floor & freaks you out thinking you have leak in the system
Yes, but then you know that you have the right level of fluid without having that funny little tool to set it with :)

Just some cleanup on the rear of the car and its done.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Overfilling the F1 Reservoir

Sure wish I saw this post before ... I added some fluid to the F1 reservoir as it appeared low according to the dip stick on the cap. Went for drive with full confidence that I had topped up the fluid to the correct level ... following the instructions in the owner manual to the letter. After returning from my drive, I parked the car in the garage. My daughter came in about 2 hours later and and told me there is RED STUFF LEAKING all over the garage floor.

So I'm freaked out! In desperation I turned to the forum to search and low and behold ... it appears that Ferrari thinks of everything. The car even seeks its own correct level for F1 transmission oil. Just pour a dab of transmission oil in the reservoir and let the car discard what it does not need.

But, damn sure wish I saw this before. The garage floor is easy to clean up, but the mess on the the belly pan is another matter.

So, Taz ... after reading your info, I like your thought about siphoning out fluid ever now and then and then topping up. Do you still do this to avoid the flush and bleed process?

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,888 Posts
Steve- Affirmative, still do. My techs have a device like a large hypodermic needle with a hose on the end that is only used for pulling out Tutella CS Speed from my 575M's F1 system. The 360 owners manual actually recommends Shell Donax TX instead. Same F1 system, essentially, so no idea why they recommend different fluids. Probably because the 360 manual was published in 1999 and they never changed it and the 575M manual was published in 2002.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Get the system as hot as you can before you check the fluid level. The expansion rate is huge, and it's easy to overfill. If you use the dipstick built into the reservoir cap ensure its between the two marks when absolutely scolding hot to avoid overspill. DX expansion rate us different to Tutella so verify which fluid you have in your system...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Get the system as hot as you can before you check the fluid level. The expansion rate is huge, and it's easy to overfill. If you use the dipstick built into the reservoir cap ensure its between the two marks when absolutely scolding hot to avoid overspill. DX expansion rate us different to Tutella so verify which fluid you have in your system...
The owner's manual states to check the F1 transmission level when engine is cool. I understand your comment about checking when hot due to expansion, but if you see Taz's post showing the Ferrari service, it states the level of fluid should be 5mm above the plate inside the reservoir. I am thinking of just using a small metal ruler and measuring that level when cool. Seems like easier than scalding my hand to remove the filler cap to then read the dipstick which Ferrari seems to have limited confidence in its accuracy.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
121 Posts
All very true, and checking for minimum level when cold is fine, but absolute level should b checked when it is very hot. It's very easy to overfill, and then drive around blissfully unaware that the oil has started being pushed out of the vent hole in the lid.....

·
Banned
8 Posts
I have gone through the owner's manual and service manual and cannot find out anything about checking the transmission fluid. I found how to check the power steering, motor oil, antifreeze and gearbox fluids but nothing about the tranmission.

Is there a way to check the F1 transmission fluid on a 02 360 Modena?

Lastly, everytime I try to search for something, say "checking motor oil," I get a bunch of responses. Most of these responses have any one of the three words in it. None of them have all three words. Is there a way to do a search for only the word string of, "checking motor oil?"

Thanks everyone (again)!
Just changed my F-1 fluid and flushed the system replaced w/ Royal Purple Max EZ PS fluid and it does shift faster and smoother now !
I asked my Ferrari tech about how to do it, and he says he disconects the return hose at the reservoir and by using the factory Leonardo ( or other as you may use to cycle the pump ) ,computer program , it is possible to get like 90% of the fluid changed w/ out removing the actuator , opening the bleeders . so , I said "It sounds similar to an oil change where we do not routinely drain the oil cooler(s) etc ."
He agreed , said it is about 1.5 hrs labor to change fluid .he says you will waste a liter +or so of fluid cycling thru the system .Ferrari tech says the filter in the reservoir @ the bottom is NOT replaceable you just get a new reservoir if bad / dirty !
I brought him several bottles of PS fluid ( which IS hydraulic fluid ! - read on ! pls ! )
Spoke w/ a petroleum engineer he said we should use Royal Purple Max EZ PS fluid ( similar to CHF11s ) in lieu of ATF . ( Both are hydraulic fluids and not that far different ! ) The petroleum engineer said he recommended it due to the synterlec proprietary additives, ( A friction reducer ) .and it has a good balance between type 4 and 5 hydraulic fluid ( one type shrinks seals and the other swells them !) so will not harm seals .or the hydraulic accumulator!
BTW our Indie Ferrari tech says you need to CK the fluid level COLD ! after the fluid has drained back out of the hydraulic accumulator and that takes all night ! ( and do it before you turn on the pump ! so leave the back hatch open so you do not need to open the door to trip the motor compartment latch ! AND recall, the door opening cycles the pump too so DON'T open the door ! ) it should be about 10mm below the top of the bottom of the opening ( base of the filler neck ) DO NOT overfill or you will make a horrible mess Tech says !
Royal Purple ! Good Ol' USA American Texas oil Co. technology! LOL 🙂🙂 Warning sounds like an ad ! LOL " Royal Purple's Max EZ is created to improve the life and performance of all power steering units. This innovative power steering fluid = ( equivalent to ATF , BTW ! ) is made as a perfect combination of selected synthetic base oils plus Royal Purple's proprietary Synerlec additive technology. Royal Purple's Max EZ significantly increases both pump life and fluid life. Superior wear and corrosion protection is guaranteed as well. Max EZ is non-foaming and features high temperature service capability."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts