Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 348 has a pretty reasonable looking stereo - think it is a Sony. However it sounds like it is being played through 2" speakers, no bass.

I am thinking I would like to upgrade the speakers to something better and maybe the stereo itself if needed. Is a speaker swap pretty straight forward??

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I believe greg would have better insight as he's done some car mods in that area...I tend to give it over to pros

but

those speakers have many choices....The T's much like the 348 were very straight fwd, and an easy swap....everything was re-hidden behind the original grills, so I'm thinking it's easy...

door panels are easy and the two I have in the dash were fairly straight fwd.
the speakers in red are primarily from the door panels, and they just unbolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good stuff, what I am hoping is that it is a case of removing the panel and then a simple solder swap over.

any recommendations for speakers?

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
problem on speakers, of course, is wattage. I'm guessing your Sony if correct and of course is newer, will handle any speaker you want.

so, getting the correct impedance/ohms and wattage would do the trick in technology.

as for size and such, let me bounce about, but thinking that you might be better to view an audio store, get a part number or such or brand and

cruise the internet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You can easily place bigger speakers in the doors with little modification and with some of todays modern decks they actually pump out decent wattage.

Unfortunately you still wont get that much hi fidelity I installed two more 6"inch woofers and separate titanium tweeters right behind my seat almost behind my head these are very efficient and only require a small amount of cubic box for maximum bass response.

And for the life of me I cannot remember the bloody name of them...:wall:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Most car stereo decks are pretty good but they have inadequate amplification.

Usually a small 20-40 watt per channel amp can do a good job of bringing out audio detail but this presumes you have decent speakers.

360 and 430 decks are better than most think but need amps. So I now have a plug that goes into the OEM Becker radio to give low level outs and a turnon circuit for an external amp.

I also have designed a plug to match the car's wiring harness that goes to the amp. So in this case the car's speaker wiring is reused and you get the benefit of an external amp w/o altering the dash or system wiring

The OEM Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa, Fiat, Lancia, lamborghini, etc are terrible products. Those can be replaced and sound will greatly improve.

However you need to carefully match the high and low end drivers for efficiency and bandwith. Tweeters take little power and are generally more efficient than woofers. So you have to align the output (SPL) of the tweeter with that of the woofer to have a balanced system. if not you'll have too much high and not enough bass which is often that case.

Tweeter driver placement is also critical for proper dispersion and aural sensitivity.

Let me know if you need any additional help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am interested in buying the specially made plug for the sound system so i dont have to disturb the wiring and what is the price? I would love to upgrade my 360 spiders sound system thanks. :groovybanana::groovybanana:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dear Gcarlo,
You appear to be very knowledgeable regarding Sterio upgrades. Just got 355 gts. Love it. Has upgraded pioneer head unit. Speaker and tweeters are terrible. Has old sony cd changer in front right corner.
What would you suggest for relatively easy upgrades. I'm thinking to order stuff online and has local mobile Sterio guy in stall here in LA. Can I add a amp to replace cd changer and a small woofer to the trunk? Replace carpet with black speak cloth etc. any advise or specific speakers etc that will fit into existing holes would be great. Many thanks. Nicholas. [email protected].

1 - 9 of 9 Posts