Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read Silvergts1998's great thread about removing his 512TR engine to do belt and tensioner maintenance. He posted and included pics of ceramic coating for the exhaust, and mentions the lower exhaust metal temps.

My question: regarding the well-known 355 header cracking problems, has anyone had good luck in eliminating this problem with ceramic coatings?

Thanks
Rick

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Rick,

That is a great question, I am not sure if someone has tried this. One thing to do would be to ask a shop that does this work what the benefits would be.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ceramic coating

I just picked up a set of headers from HPC here in Phoenix, and posed the question to the manager. His feeling is that ceramic coating the outside AND inside of 355 headers would significantly reduce the chances of cracking. He said it's too hard to quote exact temperature numbers, but if before you could hold your hand four inches from the header, you could now hold your hand one inch from the header. Sounds pretty good to me.

I didn't ask about a guarantee - why should he?

Steve

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Steve! Any idea what a ballpark cost for ceramic coating outside and inside might be?

That may be a real solution if the key problem is thermal stresses from heating/cooling cycles (probable), and not from weight of the rest of the exhaust system (poor installation or design) bearing on the headers, or too much torque movement due to weak or failed engine mounts. Never had the chance (yet) to inspect underside of a 355, so I'm not sure if latter items are possible problems.

Thanks!
Rick

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just picked up a set of headers from HPC here in Phoenix, and posed the question to the manager. His feeling is that ceramic coating the outside AND inside of 355 headers would significantly reduce the chances of cracking. He said it's too hard to quote exact temperature numbers, but if before you could hold your hand four inches from the header, you could now hold your hand one inch from the header. Sounds pretty good to me.

I didn't ask about a guarantee - why should he?

Steve

Steve PM me. I can have it garuanteed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts