Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ito the search for my perfect Ferrari. It will be a 360 or 430 Spider. I m looking for a fully optioned car. I am not a race track type driver, however I do like to drive agressivly. Should ceramics be on my make it or break it list? Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am not a race track type driver, however I do like to drive agressivly. Should ceramics be on my make it or break it list? Thanks
First, aggressive driving on the street is usually illegal and not wise. Please take it to the track. Am sure there are quite a few track clubs you could participate in. Are you a licensed track driver/instructor?

As for the brakes, save your money as ceramics may shave a small bit with a very talented track driver, but to normal drivers and occasional basic track use you are wasting money IMO plus the cost to replace ceramic brakes and rotors are SIGNIFICANTLY more money than standard brake package.

PS: for the price of replacing the ceramic brakes and rotors you could buy a proper track car like the one in my stable. It augments the Ferrari, though of course this small 2 liter engined car EASILY outperforms the Ferrari.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ceramic breaks are ment for life. You should have them as long as you have the car. I dont know if this is true.
But the real advantage is that they dont overheat.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I am ito the search for my perfect Ferrari. It will be a 360 or 430 Spider. I m looking for a fully optioned car. I am not a race track type driver, however I do like to drive agressivly. Should ceramics be on my make it or break it list? Thanks
Are you for real??

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Ceramic breaks are ment for life. You should have them as long as you have the car. I dont know if this is true.
But the real advantage is that they dont overheat.
This is flat out not true. Ceramic breaks like all breaks need replacing. If you ever invent a material that will never wear from heat and friction when stopping a 2000 pound car traveling 100+ mph you will be able to own all the Ferraris ever made.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Enzo250GTO, you got it right

the ceramic discs should last longer, but nothing is forever

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I'm still not sure I have my answer yet. I know they are expensive, but am willing to pay the tarrif if it makes sense for my type of driving, which will most likley be sort road trips in northern california. The question in my mind and I should have attempted to make this clearer is the drivability factor. Would Ceramics improve the driving experience or not.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
IMHO, ceramic brakes only make sense in you:

- track the car often
- are a very experienced driver, looking to save a few 1/10th per lap
- skilled enough to handle late breaking without putting the car into a wall

otherwise you are spending a small fortune for an option which will make no difference on the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do not drive aggressively but I love to brake really late.:drive:

CCMs make sense for me because it has little or no brake dust and it keeps the wheels looking good for as long as even after several car washes. The standard steel rotors forces me to wash the wheels/car every 3 days....not to mentioned the blackened fingers.:(

And most of all the CCMs look great with the larger calipers, specialty rotors and aluminum centre hats.:)

If you can afford it, why not?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my opinion Carbon rotors just increase the Ferrari experience. The whole car is special. Carbon brakes just make it more special. The rotors probably last for the life of the car and pads yes are more expensive but not wacko. Also the rotors are very light reducing unsprung weight significantly. The diference in feel over bumps is probably very noticeable. And the feel of the brake pedal is quiie different compared to steel rotors. Again just makes the whole experience very special. My vote go for the Carbon (Ceramics)

PS All Stradales came standard with Carbon brakes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is all a matter of what $20,000 dollars mean to you.......how much is your watch worth??....your house??.....to some people 20,000 is chump change and buy the CC for the looks of the car etc etc. for some other people $20,000 is a lot of money and then CC makes no sense at all......now you only have to figure out in what camp you are....

regards

maximus136

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Is all a matter of what $20,000 dollars mean to you.......how much is your watch worth??....your house??.....to some people 20,000 is chump change and buy the CC for the looks of the car etc etc. for some other people $20,000 is a lot of money and then CC makes no sense at all......now you only have to figure out in what camp you are....

regards

maximus136
For $20,000 you could buy a 308 GT4.

·
Registered
45 Posts
PS: for the price of replacing the ceramic brakes and rotors you could buy a proper track car like the one in my stable. It augments the Ferrari, though of course this small 2 liter engined car EASILY outperforms the Ferrari.
what kind of car is that? sounds badass, and is either really cheap, or replacing ceramic brakes is :eek:

·
Registered
218 Posts
You will not get much change from $20k when you have to replace a set of ceramic brakes. Depending on how you drive, you might be able to get 25,000 miles on a set.

This is very realtive yes.
The way I drive my vectra, I get 80k out of my pads. Its not that I dont drive it fast now and then, but more the way I drive it. I release the gas pedal long before the corner.( you might guess that 20k$ is lot for me, thats true)

Still 25k miles looks very, very short change interval for carbon brakes.
But if you drive it like F1 car, sure why not.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I remember watching a Formula 1 race where they had zoomed in on the Ferrari tire on a corner and the brake rotors were glowing red hot. Literally, Schumacher had those rotors looking like they just came out of the forge. How the tires could handle it I don't know.

No, I don't need those kind of brakes. When I use the brakes, it is not to maximise the speed of the car through a turn, I've already slowed down well before the corner so I can accelerate through it. I drive my car much like vectra17 does. I would be better off spending the extra money on gas or on a 2nd car.

BTW - I've had my Ferrari for 5 years and I've never had to change the brake pads.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I remember watching a Formula 1 race where they had zoomed in on the Ferrari tire on a corner and the brake rotors were glowing red hot. Literally, Schumacher had those rotors looking like they just came out of the forge. How the tires could handle it I don't know.
When the brakes start to shine like that, they are at about 800 C or 1500 F.

Quite impressive, isn't it? And when they start to turn from red to something like yellow, they are even hotter than that.

The tires can handle it because the brakes are dissipating the kinetic energy, not the tires (unless the wheel stop spinning, then you really are being hard on your tires, and that's why you can't help falling in love with ABS).

Stuff I learned in college in my "spare study" time. Mechanical engineer rules!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks for the help. I'm still not sure I have my answer yet. I know they are expensive, but am willing to pay the tarrif if it makes sense for my type of driving, which will most likley be sort road trips in northern california. The question in my mind and I should have attempted to make this clearer is the drivability factor. Would Ceramics improve the driving experience or not.
Ceramics will not improve your driving experience in this situation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts