Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have become standard on all new deliveries from earlier this year, across the range. On a track they make a hugh difference, no fade, but how do they really fare on the street.

And is this just another step by Ferrari to ensure that over the next decade they have an even larger contribution from the service pot to pay for the F1 team. 4 Pad and discs set for a 612 is about 2000 euros, I believe the Carbon sets are over 14000 euros (may be wrong - please qualify)

On the McLaren SLR, they had the stopping power to ensure that anyone too close would definately rear end you, even if it wasn't an emergency stop.

Interstingly, on the McLaren SLR 722 (£500,000 of lower weight, race spec version), which comes with a Pro/Am race series, pit crew and full hospitality as part of the purchase price, they have reverted back to steel discs!!!!!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
They seem to wear much faster than believed they would and on a 430 it's about $15K-$18K to redo them.

That is ridiculous.

A great reason to stay away from them.

And another means by which Ferrari wants to keep the service departments busy!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
That is absurd to charge that much for something that doesn't create many benefits. It wouldn't make sense that the California has them if it is not designed for track use. Are there any steel replacement kits coming out in the future for these Carbon Ceramic only cars?

Chris

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
There are tons of Brembo kits available which are far superior.
I would replace the carbon ceramic with those. I have never heard a bad thing spoken about Brembo.

Chris

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
OEM on Ferrari.

I am thinking of upgrading my fronts to 15" rotors and 6 piston calipers. It's pricey around $4,000.00 but maybe worth it.

The OEM brakes are very good but the rotors look a bit small on 19" rims.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
OEM on Ferrari.

I am thinking of upgrading my fronts to 15" rotors and 6 piston calipers. It's pricey around $4,000.00 but maybe worth it.

The OEM brakes are very good but the rotors look a bit small on 19" rims.
With the larger rims, is the stopping as precise with the stock brakes?

Chris

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I do not really notice any difference in stopping power as the OEM brakes are quite good.

However, I am going to new rims which are wider and Pilot Sport Cup tires which grip better than PS2's, and I think I'd be more comfortable with larger brakes if there is actually additional braking power.

There seems to be some controversy as to whether bigger brakes do stop better. i don't agree with reasoning I have read, because my 530i has very large calipers, and that car stops incredibly.

The CL500 I have has big brakes, and that stops big time as well.

So I think since I enjoy fooling with the car and doing upgrades bugger brakes and braded lines would be a fantastic option to include.

BTW, I don't track my car so the bigger brakes are just more for fun and better stopping.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I do not really notice any difference in stopping power as the OEM brakes are quite good.

However, I am going to new rims which are wider and Pilot Sport Cup tires which grip better than PS2's, and I think I'd be more comfortable with larger brakes if there is actually additional braking power.

There seems to be some controversy as to whether bigger brakes do stop better. i don't agree with reasoning I have read, because my 530i has very large calipers, and that car stops incredibly.

The CL500 I have has big brakes, and that stops big time as well.

So I think since I enjoy fooling with the car and doing upgrades bugger brakes and braded lines would be a fantastic option to include.

BTW, I don't track my car so the bigger brakes are just more for fun and better stopping.
Very neat. What rims are you getting?

Chris

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
There are tons of Brembo kits available which are far superior.
I know of quite a few guys who have swapped out the ceramic discs on their 430 Challenges for steel. Most just use the cars for track days and find the cost of replacing the ceramic discs absurd (if you go into a gravel trap you wil almost always have to replace all four discs).

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I know of quite a few guys who have swapped out the ceramic discs on their 430 Challenges for steel. ---
My guess it's to keep the service depts busy since the belt changes don't apply to 430's!

$30K + to replace on the Enzo!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The next time you take your car on the highway to open it up a bit, imagine that you get cut off by an idiot who wants to see the car. Now you want to your car and introduce more weight and a longer stopping distance... Stopping power is force x friction coefficient. Force in braking is dependent on the moment arm (rotor) and caliper pistons. So you guys who don't like the Carbon rotors, you want to reduce friction coefficient, reduce rotor size, and piston force? Don’t let anyone tell you rotor upsizing doesn’t increase stopping power, that’s like saying stroking a motor doesn't increase power. The only downside to going bigger on the rotors(weight) doesn't apply. Carbon rotors are lighter then steel so the inertia argument doesnt even apply. Don't justify steel brakes to someone who knows. They are more expensive, but if the stopping power saves your hide once it paid for itself. Carbon brakes are worth the $$, and they do have kits you can upgrade with if you dont have an 08.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
not to mention the lack of heat in CC brakes on that cutoff...

Personally, I would skip them except for a very, special car and probably on the track.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts