Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright folks, my first post.

I wanted to know how a 1976 308GTB would be as a daily driver.

I live in California where the weather is nice enough and there is a lot of highway miles.

Any chronic problems I should be aware of? Anything that would make the car unreliable? Is it a car I can trust will start every morning to take me to work/not break down in the highway etc.?

Anyone use these as daily drivers (over 12k miles a year)?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Stickanddice,
I have been away from the board for a little while and I was reviewing the posts and saw that no one had responded to you! Well welcome! I am suprised none of the other guys answered. There really are a great bunch of Ferrari enthusiasts here and I hope you visit often.

To answer your question about the '76 308 as a daily driver............
Well, it is a 26 year old car. How would you feel about a '76 Oldsmobile or a '76 Toyota? It is all about maintainance. How long have you had it? Was it taken care of before you had it? Have you taken care of it? Will you do the maintainence required to take care of it? If you have positive answers to these questions then you should be alright.

I live in Maine, so my 308 is nothing but a toy, realistically, it can't be anything else. But, it is a quality vehicle and I have great confidence in the car. I have had some problems with the rubber goods deteriorating (the coolant expansion tank fell off, a $18 repair I did myself. It was not a left-on-the-side-of-the-road item). The only major problem I have had was the failure of the low-speed points set which caused backfiring. Through advice on this website I disconected the low speed points and have not had a problem since. I have also received advice that there is an electronic ignition conversion available that greatly increases reliability. I hope to install one of those this winter. Overall, the car has been fantastic! The enjoyment I get out of it (just the owning of it!) far outweighs any difficulties. I mentioned this in another post, but I recently was away for a month and when I came back home the 308 started right up even though it was below freezing outside! (OK! It took a couple of pumps!)

So I think that if you live in a climate that will allow, and you are willing to have a nice car and take good care of it, you will be pleased to drive a 308 everyday.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Daily Drivers

I personally rotate between my 365 & my Maserati Indy. I would suggest a bad weather car though.

It's also nice to have a spare car or three if anything goes wrong.

I drive my FIAT Spider when it's really nasty weather.

In Texas my main problem is late July & August. My 365 has a highly upgraded A/C that works reasonably well. However on the really... hot days I end up driving my pickup..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts