Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is obvious most of you are F car owners on this forum, but what interest me is that how the hell you guys know so much of fixing your cars? Some of you are Policeman, Nightclub owners, Business men O even a Dentist yes a Dentist haha. I know we're not talking about rocket science but still fixing a Ferrari is not something you do everyday! I mean changing a clutch or a cam belt or fixing the engine on a Ferrari thats crazy man.
Can some of you share your interest and knowledge on how you guys started from the beginning in regards to becoming a car nut of today.
Cheers envy
D

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
David,

Ferrari's attract a variety of people but mostly those that have had years of car experience- practical as well as mechanical - and as a result we enjoy the cars. We started when we were young.

Many of the wizards have worked out various issues that were originally deep dark Ferrari secrets to keep fokks coming back to the service departments.

So I would say most of us are very well educated (advanced professional degrees) and also have well developed mechanical skills.

There is a sincere love for the car and that encourages us to want to care for it as a mother does for a child.

It's a sincere fascination.

Be part of this and enjoy it.

There's a great deal here to teach and a great deal to learn.

And the more knowledgeable we all become the better it is for sharing.

Be an active participant.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Good question I started getting the bug at an early age for the exotics or anything other than North American in fact the only North American car I have ever owned was my very first one a mercury LN7.

The rest of my cars were all European models and as a kid you learn fast on how expensive a mechanic is so you tend to buy books and learn yourself.

So after owning Fiat, VW, Jaguar, Triumph, BMW, Porsche and working on them you tend to get a good working knowledge of automobiles.

It is actually a hell of a lot of fun and kind of therapeutic working on your car especially a Ferrari, don't get me wrong there is lot's that I wouldn't dare try but a lot more that I would or have.

Remember hands on is the best way to learn how things work or why they do the things they do this all stems from playing with Lego.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I'm no F-owner but I think it is part of the experience of some people. I wouldn't start on cambelts or valves, but on my own classic I do change small things like oilpressureswitches (which are hard to get loose after 34 years of being in place) and clutch cilinders. If I would have help I would start engine work as well, but I need some back-up in case I fail at something.
Most important I think: Forget it is a Ferrari. It is just a combustion engine, works same as a Ford. Parts do the same, only cost 10x as much. Having the right tools, space and some knowledge does a lot as well.
I also think that there is so much info on the web, that with a good brain, right tools you can do some things yourself without any harm being done to the car without a mechanical degree.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've been fixing things my whole life.

When I was 7 or 8 years old, it was battery powered clocks and toys.

When I was 11 or 12, it was an old 2-stroke minibike.

When I was 15, I bought my first car, a 1977 Pontiac Trans Am. It needed work, but I had been reading lots of books in the library on how to fix cars. I practiced my first automotive mechanical, body, and interior work on it.

Before I finished high school, I had owned close to ten cars. With each different repair, I learned something new and acquired more tools.

I paid for a big chunk of my college tuition by buying cars, fixing them, and selling them. Before I finished college, the number of cars I had owned was in the high teens. They had all been American cars -- mostly old Mopar muscle cars, Trans Ams and Camaros, and a string of 1980s Pontiac Fieros.

I had always dreamed of owning a Lotus Esprit. That was my dream car like a Ferrari is or was to many people who frequent this or other forums. By the mid- to late-1990s, when exotic and sports cars were hugely unpopular, they had come down in price. This was when I first heard someone say, "You can afford to buy them, but you can't afford to maintain them."

. . . "Why not?" I said to myself. If I do all of the labor, that just leaves the parts. It might still be more, but I knew the labor was the lion's share. I continued to do my homework, i.e. learning about the cars, parts prices, etc.

When I finished college, I bought a Porsche 944. It was my "bridge" between simple, low-parts-cost American cars and sophisticated European sports cars with expensive parts. The 944 had an overhead cam with timing belt, interference design, everything was made out of aluminum, had Bosch fuel injection, and everything was of a higher level of precision . . . and price. It was a good way of easing into "expensive" (to fix) cars.

Comfortable with that, I bought my first Lotus Esprit, an S1. I could have afforded a Turbo, but I didn't want to get in over my head mechanically. It was a dream come true, and every car since then has just been a play thing.

I continued with Porsches (mostly 944s and 928s), Lancias and Fiats, Jaguars, and more Lotus cars. I became known around the office as the guy who fixes cars, and soon people were coming to me with theirs.

I went to grad school in Miami, Florida. I started fixing other people's older European and exotic cars down there. After Sept. 11, I was unemployed for a while, and fixing sports and exotic cars helped me to try to make ends meet.

Since moving back to Ohio in 2002, I've been able to do pretty much anything I want, including serious restoration work and engine rebuilds.

Since 2003 or so, I've been helping out a friend who owns a small shop that repairs and restores classic European and exotic sports cars. I go down there on some weekends, mostly in the summer and fall. I've also, over the years, serviced around a dozen Lotus Esprits other than my own. I've had a few people bring their Esprits to my garage, and a few people fly me to them to work on their cars.

I bought my 308 almost a year ago, after spending a couple of years familiarizing myself with them via a couple of friends', whose 308s have included a couple of GT4s and a few GTSis.

So that's roughly how I evolved into someone who works on his own Ferrari. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Part of the passion of owning a certain car is working on it yourself. Ya' have to remember,,,,it's jut nuts and bolts!

However, if I was wealthy enough to own my own Ferrari I'd probably pay to have it worked on. My Mustangs,,,,different story.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
I'd fix my own, but don't have the space at this time, nor the time in my space. So, must farm it out about now. Plus, on some of my models, I've not the time to actually learn nuances. HAVE taken out the 348 engine once, and worked on it, but years ago.

Other cars, well have done them a lot, but all older and with fewer parts and technology, but a lot more issues in terms of re-mfgr'ing items no longer made. Except the Model T pickup which surprisingly enough you can buy every part, new/old and cheap...really surprises me on that one.

I can understand your misconception that people who own Ferraris are pinkies up and just full of money. FACT is, I can point out, as many here, many of these guys who got into it as being car nuts. Matter of fact, many of us know of persons who have if not one, but several cars in the Multi-millions of dollars and not only race them, but fix them too.

In my case, I honestly know very little but am not scared. My wife is absolutely able to rebuild two barrel carbs, tranys, engine rebuilds etc.etc....she's looking for an early '60s Malibu SS convertable....

if only the room.

It's a passion. And many of us are not particular to just Ferraris. I am looking for a Moris Minor Woodie, '60's vintage. A Fiat '60s, a Fiat 2000/2400 if possible [prob. not], A Mazda, '60s, a ... gawd, the list goes on...

anyone know of a '34, Ford, English PU woodie: if so contact me....it's the pu to have IMO

Attachments

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Very cool Rik.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts