Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And there is nothing wrong with the car!!!!!

4 weeks ago it is a Sunday and I am getting ready to go to the airport to leave for 3 1/2 weeks. I notice that the inspection sticker is expired on the Ferrari so I figure I'll run down and get an inspection done on the car.
I check all the lights and stuff, making sure nothing is wrong with the car. You are required to have a front license plate in Maine. I don't run the car with the front plate installed but I do carry it with me. For the inspection I just secure the plate to the grill with cable ties. Well, while I am in the process of doing so I notice that the registration is expired also. :oops:

It is a Sunday and the town office is closed so I can't register it. I go to work for 3 1/2 weeks and now I am back. The weather is beautiful outside. It is a holiday weekend so everything is closed. My car is sitting in the garage, unregistered and uninspected. Today is Sunday and I have to leave to go to a seminar and I won't be back until late Tuesday. So this Wednesday is the earliest I will be able to get the car registered and inspected.

I guess that is one way to keep the mileage low!!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. It is not like Europe at all when it comes to registering a car. When you buy a car, it has no plate. You get a temporary plate from the dealer that is good for 14 days. Then you have to go to the town and pay the excise tax, then go to the Dept of Motor Vehicles and pay the registration fee and pick up your license plates. You get the plates and a sticker to put on the plate that indicates when the registration expires. Every year you have to pay the excise tax and re-registration fee to get a new sticker that is good for another year.

Take a look at the plate on my car. You can see the stickers on the right hand side that indicate that the registration expired in May of 2003.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
ooh yes i see it.
so you have to pay a tax on it every year, what if you forget it and a cop checks it?
do you just get a ticket or is it worse?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you just forgot about it and the cops pull you over they usually just give you a warning. They can give you a ticket for driving an unregistered vehicle. However, since there is a sticker saying that the registration is expired, that gives the cops a REASON to pull you over.

I try to maintain a low profile (well........as low a profile as you can while you are driving a red Ferrari). I am not going to hand over to the police a valid reason to pull me over and take a look around.

·
Registered
824 Posts
But do they keep the 'Ferrari' registration for you? I mean, If I should walk in there saying I want that plate is it still on the market or do they say that it is already taken? And can you switch to another plate if you want to?

Niels

·
Registered
454 Posts
Pete,

You have a heck of alot more self-control than I do! I'd go for the beg for forgiveness approach if I would have been pulled over.... :green:

Run with it, brother.... :lol:

Forza,

Dane

1 - 8 of 8 Posts