Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Feb 2007 issue of Sports Car Market, Mike Sheehan's column address the issue on Cambelt change intervals. What I never really realized is that Ferrari never had an official time based policy until 2002. The net net on the article, changing your belts every five years is fine.

Comments?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I think the 5 years policy is a good rule to stick to, regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I just don't know why they don't put two belts (redundant system is what we call that in Portuguese, don't know if it makes sense in English). How hard would it be? How much more would it cost?? Not much, I'm sure!!

Then if one broke, the other would keep everything fine until you get to the mechanic, and we wouldn't have to be so paranoid about this.

Does that count as a comment?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Boxer, if the project had considered an extra belt, there would be room for it. Of course, now that the car is produced it´s hard to change anything without screwing something else up.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
If two timing belts were together inside the front timing cover, if one were to break, because its inside and the engine still running and the other belt spinning, it would tangle itself around the good one and both belts would shred each other to bits.

There would have to be a belt at either end of the engine for two belt timing as well as a crank pulley. It would be an engineering nightmare because at the rear is where the flywheel is located…

~

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am confused. I have always thought that the time between belt changes was two years irrespective of mileage.

Is it five?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am confused. I have always thought that the time between belt changes was two years irrespective of mileage.

Is it five?
Prior to 2002 the recommended cambelt change interval varied greatly by model. In 2002 Ferrari put in a policy of every 3 years if you wanted to qualify for the extended warantee coverage.

One of the 3 belt manufacturers, recommends that the belts be changed every 9 years, and the five year period is more of a compromise between the two. Net net, it is up to the owner.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Broken Belts

I realize that a broken belt is a major disaster, but does anyone know of any documented cases of belts actually breaking? I know of one belt on an Acura NSX, but it's because a piece of debris got caught in the pulleys. -Steve

·
Registered
366 Posts
In both cases, then, the belt didn't break because it was old or high mileage. Just as easily could have happened to a new belt? -Steve

·
Registered
366 Posts
I rest my case. The Acura NSX forum has gone through the same thread. No one has ever seen a belt break from age or mileage. One guy freaked out when he read all the stuff about replacements every two years, so he finally did his belt. It was 12 years old and had over 100,000 miles. He said that he couldn't tell the difference between the new and the old belt with a magnifying glass. Yes, yes, I know they break without warning, but I think everybody is getting a little paranoid about the whole subject. (The NSX engine is an 8,000rpm, DOHC like a Ferrari). Five years is probably still on the safe side, and a reasonable compromise. -Steve

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I am not aware of any belt that has broken due to age or mileage.