Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Two main reasons mate. The fuel tank in between the engine and the bulkhead. Second there is a 5x3inch cross member that runs 10mm Central from the front of the front pulley.:thumbsup:
i reckon you could have pretty much stopped at 'the fuel tank' :)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
wouldn't be hard in my mind.

The Mondial T has an access panel in the rear just enough for one to start cussing.

The frame there could be reinforced like aircraft quality/boat quality and the access would be a savings of what, $2-3K per change.

I really do not like engineers that make such brainless mistakes...it's like a Dr. designing a drug, that is the size of a football and saying "well, what's the problem?"

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hate to be a pain in the neck and i'm SURE i saw it here somewhere, but I can't find it.

How do you get the belts onto the bottom pulley when you do a belt change via fuel tank removal v engine out?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok, so you pull out the tank on the 355 to change the belts....but how do you get the belt to fit between the pulley and the chassis?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Only a few independent dealers do it this way. Factory reco is to drop the engine.
doing it that way is in the ferrari times manual, so i'm quite confident that they are happy with it.

But...i'd still like to know how the belt's meant to fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
doing it that way is in the ferrari times manual, so i'm quite confident that they are happy with it.

But...i'd still like to know how the belt's meant to fit.

Hello All:

The timing belts can (purportedly) by rotated, but not twisted, to fit. However, actually dropping the engine, rather than replacing the timing belts in situ, allows you to examine and replace a number of other potential issues (e.g., rebuild/replace water pump, replace water hoses in the engine valley, alternator rebuild and tensioner check/replace, check all electrical connectors, examine the headers, general complete clean-up, etc.). It seems the in situ method has caught on in Europe and Australia. I realize that it does save money, but IMHO, dropping the engine is just a better way to do it, as you can really get to everything and do it right.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Yup, agree. My Mondial T having its major as I type [I feel very similar probs to the 355]. Started as a fix to the rear window and having to drop the dry sump just to get to the wire harness and such and and of god...just jerk the engine, do the major and kill many birds with one-stone.

Having the water pump rebuilt anyway as that always purports to be engine out too.

Heck last major I just bought OEM new, and slapped one in there, but this time rebuilding the bearings with Hill Engr. like quality and mech states "you'll probably never have to do that pump again"....not to mention Hill bearing throughout = ONLY way to go in these days.

Suggest you drop the engine, but honestly, like stated before, I would LOVE to engineer a better INSITU access port....tanks or not.

Some one here discussed inSITU with Greg some time ago on a 355...never knew what happened to that end result.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
thinking more like 1.99....which is why doing an engine out now, not just because it's basically due, but most of the work to drop tanks etc. made it "well, we've got this much invested for a silly window motor, might as well, you know DO THE MAJOR"

sigh,...and I still have to get the 456 off to Brian.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Doing the job in situ takes 1/2 the time. Why does it need to come out to "check" all those things? You don't do it it any of the other cars. Doesn't make sense AND the Ferrari times book shows it as routine practice.

My car's engine is perfect. Unless it becomes less than perfect in the next couple of years, I'll be doing the belt change with the engine in.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Doing the job in situ takes 1/2 the time. Why does it need to come out to "check" all those things? You don't do it it any of the other cars. Doesn't make sense AND the Ferrari times book shows it as routine practice.

My car's engine is perfect. Unless it becomes less than perfect in the next couple of years, I'll be doing the belt change with the engine in.
Ya' I remember your insitu event. and quite impressed....but, I'm not doing it, someone else is, and licensed shop soooooo, I'm stuck...I don't have as much outback as you down unders in garage space.... :D

Have to mention I'm re-doing the water pump while there, again, with better bearings: I've been told, prob. not have to do that job again. Right, it's a Ferrari.....never again and Ferrari don't mix on the price tag.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The only way to do the service on this car is to pull the engine. Anyone doing otherwise is only looking for trouble. When the engine is out there are tons of things to check and fix that cant be done with the engine in period. My friend who worked for Ferrari came up with the idea for the access panel behind the seat in the 360 and when I ask him about doing the belt service with the engine in on a 355......he smiles and laughs.

·
Administrator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only way to do the service on this car is to pull the engine. Anyone doing otherwise is only looking for trouble. When the engine is out there are tons of things to check and fix that cant be done with the engine in period. My friend who worked for Ferrari came up with the idea for the access panel behind the seat in the 360 and when I ask him about doing the belt service with the engine in on a 355......he smiles and laughs.
Agree but is there a way to retrofit a 360 type bulkhead panel in a F355?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts