Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My normal Ferrari mechanic is 70 miles from my house, and I have recently found an independent 15 miles from me. I e-mailed him today for the price of an annual, and he has recommended that I change the belts this year as Ferrari recommend a change every 2 years regardless of mileage. I was always under the impression it should be done every 3 years. Any advice?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Timing belts

Providing that the tensioner bearings were replaced at the last belt change I'd definately leave it for at least another year.

Common sense seems to go out of the window when it comes to timing belts on Ferraris. The belts themselves almost never fail. It's the tensioner bearings that gets gritty and eventually siezes up and throws the belt......moreso on cars that don't get run too often.

I'm planning to change my belts and bearings every 5 years and have absolutely no concerns whatsoever about a belt failure. With one belt for each bank of cylinders and a relatively short span between the drive pulley and the cam pulleys, the loading on these belts is minimal compared with something like a V6 Alfa Romeo which has one belt driving all 4 cams, runs through 2 idler bearings plus the tensioner pulley, and the belt itself is half a mile long !

I owned several V6 Alfas and ran the last one from new to 56K miles before its 1st belt change. It's all hype !

·
Registered
271 Posts
My normal Ferrari mechanic is 70 miles from my house, and I have recently found an independent 15 miles from me. I e-mailed him today for the price of an annual, and he has recommended that I change the belts this year as Ferrari recommend a change every 2 years regardless of mileage. I was always under the impression it should be done every 3 years. Any advice?
I have been told similar by at least two independents. Mine have been done every two and will continue to.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Arch

I've been staying out of this thread because I have no idea what the issues are with 328 belts. 348's are the problem children. original Ferrari docs require belts to be replaced every 50,000 miles. Fears of engine detonation have increased the recommended frequency to every 3 years. Owners practicallity has pushed this out to 5 years or 30,000 miles because 348 belts are extremely expensive to replace...requires engine out service costing about $7000 at a Ferrari dealer. I don't think that is the case with 328's. Unless there is something about 328's I'm not aware of, 2 years sounds ridiculously short. Belts don't fail, the tensioner bearings do. Cam drive systems (belts and bearings) fail and cause serious problems very infrequently. If you are in tune with your engine noises, you should have plenty of warning. If you want to be safe, try a frequency of 3 or 4 years. Then again...if its cheap...

Lane

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
328 belts are relatively simple and cheap to change compared to 348's as the engine doesn't need to come out. I've been quoted £375 or approx $750 US for the belts, the annual service is approx £325 / $650 US without the belt change.
If they have to be changed this year, I'll do it, although I was under the impression that 328's should be done every 3 years to be safe. I'm always sceptical when a mechanic says you should do work to your car, as he could be trying to save/boost his business by recommending work that doesn't need doing.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The day i catch my mechanic "pading" his bill with unecessary work is the last day he works for me. Unless of course he wants to walk my dog. Then, I'm gonna need a waiver signed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
328 belts are relatively simple and cheap to change compared to 348's as the engine doesn't need to come out. I've been quoted £375 or approx $750 US for the belts, the annual service is approx £325 / $650 US without the belt change.
If they have to be changed this year, I'll do it, although I was under the impression that 328's should be done every 3 years to be safe. I'm always sceptical when a mechanic says you should do work to your car, as he could be trying to save/boost his business by recommending work that doesn't need doing.
Are you sure the engine doesn't need to come out to change the belts? I remember my buddy had his 328 over to my house and we were comparing it to the 308 and one of the things we noticed was that the engine would have to be removed to change the belts on the 328.
At any rate, my $0.02 is to change the belts and bearings every 5 years regardless of mileage. And you better take a good look at the water pump while you're in there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
328 Belts

Hey Pete, do you remember why you thought you can't do 328 timing belts in the car? I don't see any reason why not. -Steve

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although I'm not an expert on this, everything I have read and been told leads me to believe that the 328's belts can be done without removing the engine. All published prices for belt changes are the same for 308's and 328's, which would suggest that it's a similar process on both cars.
The prices double when you look at 348/355's as they are engine out jobs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts