Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have considered changing the color of your calipers I have found a possible answer at very competitive pricing.

Here is the Caliper paint: http://www.levineautoparts.com/dubrcapakit.html

This is extremely price competitive.

This is the clearcoat: http://www.levineautoparts.com/dupwheelpain.html

You want the # HWP103 clearcoat. The clearcoat is sprayed over the decals after the paint has dried for 24 hours and after installation of the decal. You will spray three (3) coats of clear

For decals try: http://www.xenonmods.com/

They have every decal every dreamed of at incredible pricing.

As to the paints and Levine Auto Parts, contact Dan at [email protected] and he will help you with anything you need. They have everything including OEM Ferrari paints. They sell the paints to Miller Motorcars in CT!

The process is straightforward and from what I understand the results are spectactular.

I have ordered my kit and clear and will do when it gets a bit warmer.

I will post the whole procedure.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am changing my OEM black calipers to yellow to match my blue paint better.

I had trouble trying to find the clear Duplicolor until I came across Levine's Auto Supply. I am sure others have it but I could not find it locally.

I have been told to let the paint dry for 24 hours and then apply the decals. Spray three separate coats of clear over the decal.

I purchased two (2) kits from Levine's for less than what one would cost from most others. I am doing the fronts separate from the rears cause I don't yet have a lift and I do not trust my car to be balanced on four jackstands.

You can't fully separate the components in the paint as 50/50. So two kits do it for me.

Xenonmods has every decal imaginable and they are very inexpensive.

I understand from Martin at Girodisc that brake fluid kills the paint! So be very careful after painting when doing a brake bleed.

I am also putting in his braided lines and new pads all from Girodisc. Martin suggests to lightly turn the rotors for his pads, and then they will seat well. His pads are slightly harder than the OEM and produce very little dust. YEH!

BTW, his pads accept the pad sensors which is important.

Chaz, post pictures of your work.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I wouldn't mind going to red on the 456, but with those skimpy looking rotors, it would look barren in there.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris,

For info purposes whenever I looked at a prviously owned car I would pull the dip stick and wipe the oil on a clean white cloth. That would tell me how well the car was maintained.

I would always ask the owner how ofter the oil was changed and when last done. The dipstick oil would always tell me the truth.

I would never even consider a car owned by a woman because I knew the care that was absent. I once asked a woman selling a car when she last changed the oil! The car was 3 years old. Her response was he never changed the oil. She stated it was not yet time!

Be more careful when you look at cars and stay away from leasing.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Chris,

For info purposes whenever I looked at a prviously owned car I would pull the dip stick and wipe the oil on a clean white cloth. That would tell me how well the car was maintained.

I would always ask the owner how ofter the oil was changed and when last done. The dipstick oil would always tell me the truth.

I would never even consider a car owned by a woman because I knew the care that was absent. I once asked a woman selling a car when she last changed the oil! The car was 3 years old. Her response was he never changed the oil. She stated it was not yet time!

Yea, my biggest mistake was being 17 and looking at a sportscar as my first car. I jumped the gun. I knew the brakes, and AC/compressor pulley along with the serpentine belt needed to be replaced. These were only minor things. The car was cheaper because of the issues. I knew the exhaust was going...but that was a plus in my book. It was a great excuse to pick up the Flowmaster. Unfortunately he owned the car for a year in which he did 2 oil changes, but his daughter owned it before him and put the bulk of the miles on it. Previous owner to her was her boss of some company, everything with him was replaced and done at a dealer. The only unfortunate thing was he only had it for about 20k miles.

BTW-That exact caliper paint was at Autozone. Same price too.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Oh I have looked at several other used cars when I was originally selling my Firebird and I had to turn all of them down for issues that I was able to pick out. Unfortunately for me they were a '92 BMW 325i, 95 BMW 325is, '90 Porsche 944, '94 BMW 325i, and a '86 Chevrolet Corvette.

Leasing unfortunately was my only way to go this time. I would never want to do it again. I leased my car at the very end of the practical leasing days. It is a horrible to lease now. my grandma bought a Cobalt for $200/month for 5 years I think with $4k down. They offered her a lease, same car 3 years $350/month:yikes: I'm going to go with a no.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't mind going to red on the 456, but with those skimpy looking rotors, it would look barren in there.
Nah.

It would look great!

I think the 360 rotors are too small but bigger brakes are so aburdly expensive it makes no sense.

It's like $8,800.00 for the 380 mm Brenbo big brakes for 4 wheels and then you end up with no hand brake unless you engineer an extension bracket for the hand brake caliper!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Nah.

It would look great!

I think the 360 rotors are too small but bigger brakes are so aburdly expensive it makes no sense.

It's like $8,800.00 for the 380 mm Brenbo big brakes for 4 wheels and then you end up with no hand brake unless you engineer an extension bracket for the hand brake caliper!

Yikes!
However, I understand the 456 M has cross-drilled brakes ,and THAT would look awsome on my older model...what do you think?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
If you were loicked down there you never would have bought that car!
Shh...I don't want people knowing I have the key.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chaz,

What happened about the caliper painting?

Pictures?

Experience?

Quickly before Chris comes out of the basement.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Chaz,

What happened about the caliper painting?

Pictures?

Experience?

Quickly before Chris comes out of the basement.
I heard my name....I see the light.....:D

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't forget to spray at least 3 coats of clearcoat over the decals.

Duplicolor makes a great, higher temp clearcoat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts