Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Mark, Northern California (Sierra Foothills near Lake Tahoe)-
I decided at 8 years old in 1976 to be Ferrari owner, although I have been close in the past, I am finally in the correct position. Confused on what to buy, please share your advice/experience:)

Love the: 246 GTS (any clor combo), 308 GTS QV's, 328 GTS, 365BB-512BBi, 512TR, 360 F1 GTS, 430 F1 GTS (all in red/tan)

Like the: 410/412 Columbo V-12's (blue/yellow/red/silvergray-tan), Testarossa's (red tan), 355 F1 GTS (red/tan) , 365 Daytona (red/black), Mondial-maybe?

I am guy who can budget 10-15k per year for maintenance/upkeep.
Can pay cash for cars up to 50-60k, or do payments up to 1500 month?

What the hell do I get? Mark

·
Registered
366 Posts
First, let me say that borrowing money for a toy is probably not a great idea. My recommendation is to buy what you can afford with cash. Based on what you have, and what you like, it would be hard to beat a 328GTS. Your 50-60K would get you a really good car, with a little left over for some repairs/maintenance/cosmetics. I love some of the other cars you mention, but going in over your head isn't necessary to have a real good time. That's my unbiased opinion, of course, considering I own a 328GTS :). -Steve

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
The 328 is an awesome choice for a starter Ferrari. It is the most refined of the 3x8 series and is well within your budget. Plan on over 50k for a nice car and a little over 1k per year on upkeep.

All of your other choices, except the 308, are well out of your budget and you would have to finance it. Ferraris are toys and it is not in your best interest to finance a luxury item if you can avoid it. You would be happier with a 328 you own outright than you would with a 360 that costs over $1,000 a month whether you drive it or not.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I agree, the 328 GTS is the most reasonable car for you to buy, and if you love it, then just search for the right one!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Mark,

Welcome. I keep thinking of the poster that has a bunch of cars and reads "Decisions, Decisions"

If you want to pay cash then the a late model '88.5 328 GTS would be a great car to look at. If you want to get a special Ferrari then the 512 or 246 would be great choices (not that the 328 isn't special).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, Thanks for your Feedback-KEEP IT COMING

Hey-
Keep it coming, I love the 328-no worries, my wife wants me to get the 412, I love the Columbo V-12, but up keep vs a 360???
Mark

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I was having the same thoughts just over a year ago, I really wanted a 355 but couldn't find a good one for less that £50K GBP, 0r 100K USD. I asked lots of people who all said the same as the guys here, go for the 328 GTS or B. I finally found a near concour's 89 20000 miler rosso/crema GTS for £34K GBP at a very highly respected British restorers (Nick Cartwright). I've had her for 12 months now and she has cost me approx £1500 GBP in servicing, repairs to the diff barings, but as I'd budgeted for £2-3K a year I can't complain. As for finance, don't do it, it's a toy. I had to finance mine for 6 months whilst I waited for some cash from a property resale, it was a massive relief when I cleared it. Whatever you buy, drive it and enjoy it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts