Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am considering the purchase of a 1979 GT4 as my very first Ferrari. I am a dedicated Alfa Owner and would appreciate any suggestions for what I should be looking for/asking for with regards to buying this car. It's an original owner car with 48,000 miles. Thanks!
peppydee.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
1. Look at the buyer's guide here on the Forum.
2. Obtain a PPI (pre-purchase inspection).
3. Any one owner Ferrari is a potential gem!
Best wishes, and have fun.:)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Ah, the last of the carburetted Ferraris. Great car! I have a '79 GTS which is mechnically identical to the GT4. Easy to work on, fun to drive. If you are used to Alfas then the GT4 will be no mystery to you.

Go with Jungathart's suggestion of the pre-purchase inspection by an independant Ferrari mechanic. In particular, look for rust. It probably won't have any but check the bottoms of the doors and behind the rear wheels. The power windows are a problem so don't be suprised if they don't work the way they should. As long as they go up and down, no matter how long it takes, be happy and deal with it later. The speedo may not work, common problem and a $100 repair. Knock $500 off the price if the speedo doesn't work. You want a recent timing belt change. If it doesn't have recent belts knock a couple grand off the price. I don't know if you can change the belts on a GT4 without removing the engine. I know you can do it on the GTS. The tires should have been replaced so give those a good look over. The interior should be in decent shape without cracks in the leather. Even though the car is an antique, at 48k miles if the car has been well kept the interior should look like a used 5-year-old car, not a used 28-year-old car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buying a 308 GT4

Thanks Jungathart and Capt Pete! I will heed your advise. I love the thought of owning this sweet little Ferrari. The original owner has done a great job keeping this GT4 in great shape. I have not reviewed all of the records but I have been told that a major service was performed in 2000, but the car wasn't driven many miles since. I was informed that regardless of the few miles driven since the 2000 major service, it is time for a new major service to be performed. The only other issue with the car has is with it's original paint and the "spider cracks" that have developed. Again, thanks for the feedback!
peppydee.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Belt service is an engine-in deal.
Can't wait to see pics.:)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
The car doesn't need a full major service, it only needs the timing belts. The reccommended interval it 30k miles or 3 years. I go with 5 years regardless of mileage. The theory is that even while sitting ozone attacks the belts and they weaken. A broken belt is not something you want as the engine is "interference" meaning the valves can strike the pistons if the belt breaks. Very expensive.

It is hard to give you advice on the paint as we can't see the car. You will have to be the judge of that. Stand back 10 feet and squint. Does it look OK? If it does than everyone else will think it does also. You will find that Ferrari owners are more criticising of their own cars than everyone else. People tell me my car looks brand new and I'm like, "Well look at this chip here, look at this rust bubble there, look at these swirl marks!" Etc. Everyone thinks my car is awesome, I think it needs a complete restoration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you buy it?
If so, are you in the US?
I have the history of almost every GT4 in the US. Drop me a note with the serial number and I'll tell you what I have.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sounds like a nice car! Any pic's yet??? Did you read the buyers guide here? If so what did you think??? Let us know!

Cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts