1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an add on the forum from a guy who is selling damaged ferrrari's
http://www.thebidclub.com/Ferrari/Home.htm
Example : 1995 FERRARI 355 GTB

Flood car, has sustained readily repairable water damage from a fresh water street flood. $31,300
Anyone experience with flood cars:confused:
Some say a flood car is hell:eek:
Even if they had parked them soon after the flood in a dryer cabine from an autopainter shop, rust all over and severe electronic problems :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Without knowing the extent of the flood damage it is hard to comment. Did the carpets get wet or was the whole car completely submerged? Fresh water or salt water? Many questions.

Would I buy a flood damaged car? I might. But I would do so knowing that it would be a project that would take year or more before the car was back to the way it should be and in the end I would probably have spent what a good one would have cost me in the first place.

I wouldn't be to worried about the rust on a fresh water submergence, but I think the electrics will kill you. Especially on a Ferrari. You can drown Jeeps and get them back cheap. I know. I've submerged mine twice.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I would only buy one that would be the exact model as the one I would own, and…it would be only used as a parts car.

I would rebuild the engine back to new, have it sit on an engine stand with no fluids in it and every 3 years would just do a swap, so the car would always have a fresh engine. Then on my spare time and during the winter, rebuild it. I would then strip the car and set up a parts section in my garage. This would enable me to check all the parts for rust and water damage. Besides fire damage, water is the second worst for part deterioration, especially electric components.

~

·
Registered
4 Posts
I totally agree with Pete. Carpets and interiors pieces most of the time can be cleaned to look like new. The problem is the electronics. I used to be a Toyota technician and had several experiences with flood cars that insurance companies did not total out. The electonics were the killer. Just several small ECU's in a toyota could add up tp thousands of dollars. I'm just guessing Ferrari computers would be even more expensive. Although we fixed several of them, It always seemed the would come back several times with small problems that were always a nightmare. My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to stay away from them. Especially if it's salt water. I think you will find after all the work, and especially the headache, you will be happier not buying one. Just my two cents worth.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
There is an add on the forum from a guy who is selling damaged ferrrari's
http://www.thebidclub.com/Ferrari/Home.htm
Example : 1995 FERRARI 355 GTB

Flood car, has sustained readily repairable water damage from a fresh water street flood. $31,300
Anyone experience with flood cars:confused:
Some say a flood car is hell:eek:
Even if they had parked them soon after the flood in a dryer cabine from an autopainter shop, rust all over and severe electronic problems :eek:
I wouldn't walk away from them.... I WOULD RUN!!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't walk away from them.... I WOULD RUN!!!!!
wrote enzo

Why is this guy allowed to advertise on your site :confused:

Please dont tell me its all about $$$$$$:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Why wouldn’t anyone buy a car for parts??? I would, is it because you guys don’t plan on keeping the car for a long time or is it because you don’t want to fix it yourselves??????

~

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I would try to get a flood car down in price as much as possible and make it a parts car. I can't believe that non-electrical parts such as motor/tranny, or trim/glass won't be worth far more than purchase price.:)

Buy and strip!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Water - Car - Nightmare.
Well for me, I would, lots to keep from a car, when you strip it down. Just having a second motor sitting on a stand ready to be swapped is worth it. But then again, I’m a true hands on guy so it depends on everyone.

~

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Water - Car - Nightmare.

Life is short, why bother?

Would you buy a submarine that was buried in the desert ?
ooops, is Bart using Boxer's login!? hehehehehe

I kind of see the point, but if the price was VERY low (I'm talking about hundreds of dollars, not thousands), I'd buy it

hey, I have a piece of a crashed Maserati in my bedroom, and I find it cool hehehehehe

just using the engine to make a coffee table would be enough to pay for everything =D

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey if it were the same model I own, and the price is a steal then why not! There has to be a limit as to how much you would spend. For the price of a ferrari even with water damage for parts would still be steep for anyone of us.

If other than for parts, like Enzo said... RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Flood Car

About six years ago I knowingly bought a Jag XK8 freshwater flood car. It had 500 miles on it and was basically a new car, I bought it for 40% of a new car.

I did a through inspectionon the car and the water level was just above the seats. I took it apart, cleaned up everything and only had to replace the battery and a seat controller. I have used the car sparingly and it has only about 20K miles on it. Now that I got my 430 it became my main driver. I have good luck but I have heard of some real horror stories out there.

In retrospect I would have done it again but would have paid less going in. The problem with the car now is that it has a rebuilt title and it is worth nothing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts