Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the forum is slowing down in posts…seems like an average of 300 – 400 people read most of the posts and some topics well above 1000 people read them. Now, how can there be only 10 – 40 posts?????

Anyways lets see if anyone who reads this post knows anything about you know….like cars…not just Ferrari’s but cars, muscle cars, hot rods, custom jobs or know anything about mechanics or custom/specialty shops.

I have read several posts here and on other forums about Ferrari’s having specific problems. My question is this, do any of you know any way to change these faulty, weak or discontinued parts to better bullet proof parts. After market parts companies and specialty shop in the US have some of the best knowledge to solve ANY automobile problems. So do any of you know any of those shops that do custom work on parts like for example, modifying water pumps and/or changing the timing belt setup from belt to chain etc…

Anyone know of specialty parts stores or shops that can fix any of these?????

Electrical problems, after market switches, fuse panels, wiring harness etc…
Replacement of weak Marelli electronics
All lightweight pulleys
Water pumps that can last 70K miles
Tuned headers/exhaust systems from engine block to Tubi
Stronger seals/gaskets
After market coolant expansion tank, pressure and oil temp sensors, motor mounts
Larger core radiators
Change from timing belt to stronger but light timing chain or just a better belt and rock solid pulleys and tensioners…

And…stronger clutches and transmission output shafts (If GM can make a transmission for US tanks, cant one be built/modified to be stronger for a Ferrari???)

Shops do exist out there, if the Discovery channel can show rednecks building their own rims with top of the line shop equipment, build a car from the ground up from scratch or build a Honda Civic than can smoke an F40 on the 1/4 mile AND track…why cant WE Ferrari enthusiasts find these shops and racing parts stores????

~

~

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree. A small part of me wishes a german company would buy out Ferrari and find a balance between reliability and soul. *locks up and waits fot the mob to come with pitchforks and torches*

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Some of the shops you are speaking of exist in Japan. They have a lot of custom high-end fabrication shops for Ferraris. Take a look at my photos from the last Ferrari event I attended in Japan. The problem is they are a close culture and don't share the fun with the rest of us.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only problem i have with audi buying Lambo was them dropping all the 2WD projects, and i like Jeremy Clarkson's anaolgy about the Murceilago that is was like a picnic where the germans made the basket so it didnt fall apart and the italians makeing the food (yum pasta) well it would be nice to see something similar done to Ferrari. I mean look at the zonda it's nearly all german under the skin and no one ive ever heard of says it lacks soul.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As far as aftermarket parts for Ferrari's there are so few of them because there is not much of a market for them. Look at how many Chevrolets have the venerable small block in them, forget thousands, there are hundreds of thousands, so therefore the market exists. In relative terms the Ferrari numbers and market is nonexistant, so who is going to be building mass quantities of aftermarket parts for them? Plus most owners are not asking for aftermarket parts, no one is creating a demand for someone to fill. Beyond that you can get parts, BUT you are going to have to get them made, any custom machine shop can build and temper an output shaft, or a new set of full length headers (drool) for a F car and be aware as soon as they know they are building Ferrari parts the price will go up exponentialy. You can even get MSD to build an new coilpack system for a Ferrari but you will need to be sitting down for the price, custom costs, but if you are handy enough and have the tools you too can build it yourself.

Mikel

·
Registered
33 Posts
~
My version to Magnum6464's question would be...

"IF YOU WANT IT DONE RIGHT DO IT YOURSELF.... OR ELSE PAY ME TO DO IT FOR YOU.... AND PAY ME WELL-!!"

Only then will someone come around and try to sell you theirs to keep you from building yours.
-------------------
And Just as Mikeltm stated above with his numbers. He's right.
-------------------
I don't think anyone will jump in to save your hide when you cannot save yourself first. And if a better part "IS" made that will last a lifetime for example, by someone else, then it would cost you their Time, Effort, Machinery, Overhead Etc. because they are only selling one. You might as well do it yourself then anyway. Companies make parts to fail so you can buy another, and another and another so they can stay in business.
"FORM follows FUNCTION" and the function to parts selling is logistics and logistics takes money.

~

Sub Note: Every company that made the best product eventually failed in business. They always needed reoccurring orders to live. You cannot do that when the product lasts.

~ Just my thought ~

SO! Where do we go from here? I guess we start posting machine shops.

~

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, that’s it !!! 6 posts…

No one knows anyone or shops, a cool store that can seem to get anything or maybe a replacement part to remove the “problems” wow, no wonder they cost so much to maintain….

My city/region is not that big we just hit a million people not too long ago and im sure I can find a resolution to all the problems of the model I choose when I buy…and, not cost me a second mortgage. The key is this, bring the part and ask if they can bullet proof it, you don’t have to say “Ferrari” just custom with 400-500 hp.

To give you a size comparison

Ottawa region (my area) 1 million
Montreal 3.5 million
Toronto 5 million
Los Angeles 10 million

Well im glad I have professional racing experience, I guess I will solve it myself and find shops and get things built because it seems like im the only one thinking about this and looking around. I just whished my city was bigger so I didn’t have to go to Toronto or Montreal.

~

·
Registered
293 Posts
Magnum6464 said:
I have read several posts here and on other forums about Ferrari’s having specific problems. My question is this, do any of you know any way to change these faulty, weak or discontinued parts to better bullet proof parts.... Anyone know of specialty parts stores or shops that can fix any of these?

Electrical problems, after market switches, fuse panels, wiring harness etc…
[email protected] makes new fuse box replacement (not relays, just the fuses).

Replacement of weak Marelli electronics
None i know of

All lightweight pulleys
Nick Forza at http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/forzaferrariwebsite1_001.htm

Water pumps that can last 70K miles
http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/forzaferrariwebsite1_001.htm

Tuned headers/exhaust systems from engine block to Tubi
None i know of, but dump the Tubi anyway and go lighter, MUCH CHEAPER Magneflow or glass pack 'Cherrybomb' exhaust. As for the headers themselves, get them coated by Jet-Hot www.jet-hot.com is what i did.

Stronger seals/gaskets
None io know of.

After market coolant expansion tank, pressure and oil temp sensors, motor mounts
None i know of as far as tank, as for the sensors, there are plenty of equivilents out there.

Larger core radiators
Larger and MUCH lighter, i have one http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/forzaferrariwebsite1_001.htm

Change from timing belt to stronger but light timing chain or just a better belt and rock solid pulleys and tensioners…
Being worked on now, see Ferrari Chat discussion board

And…stronger clutches and transmission output shafts
No shafts, but clutches are available from race-inspiried to full-on race and this includes lightweight flywheel http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/forzaferrariwebsite1_001.htm

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steven,

Fantastic, this is the stuff I and others are probably looking for, www.nicksforzaferrari.com I found were parts for 328/Mondial and lower, do you or anyone know of any other shops/web sites for 348, TR and up ???

Someone out there besides Steven must know something or someone…..Calling all F-Life members, calling all cars…….

Thanks Steven, much appreciated for the other sites.

~

·
Registered
293 Posts
Magnum6464 said:
Fantastic, this is the stuff I and others are probably looking for, www.nicksforzaferrari.com I found were parts for 328/Mondial and lower, do you or anyone know of any other shops/web sites for 348, TR and up ???
Alas, since i have a 308 here that is all i have gathered data about. If anyone needs anything concerning 3x8, odds are i have tracked it down or have already bought it or found a equiv :)

Though when you are tracking the living %$#@ out of a 308 i guess you NEED to know things. Below are pics of what i have done this past few days.

Removed Air Conditioner condenser and compressor, then added wire mesh in front of custom Nick Forza radiator (saves about 20 lbs of weight for radiator, save another 25+ removing Air Cond).

Piped in FireBottle Halon system with electrical triggering. trigger on hood and also where cigarette lighter was.

Have Brembo fronts with lightweight slotted rotors (aluminum hat, floating), custom matching Girodisc lightweight slotted rear rotors (the guy who designed the Ferrari brake system now owns Girodisc).

The car here has A LOT of other mods from lightweght seats, lighter sideview mirros, much larger sway bars (ARB)... and she now weights about 2,800 wet with driver, will have EXACT figure on Thursday as that is my first road course track test session day of the season.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steven….

Seriously nice 308…..I love mods on cars that people can’t tell if its stock or not (besides a hard core Ferrari enthusiast) and that are there for real racing performance not just because it looks cool or are trying to add 10hp to a Hyundai Accent…..

Sweet front, I love the contrast with the silver rad, then black fans then chrome again grill. Very nice engine, love the graphite…what is the steel line at the back, it is circled on the left and right?

What else did you add to the car even if you don’t have pictures ???

Nice to meet another racing guy, now I don’t feel so alone, thought I was the only one who loves track…..oh, and mods…..hahahaha!!!!!

~

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Steven,

The car is looking very good! I like the wheels and brakes behind them, seeing the Brembo caliper really adds a nice touch.

What is your hp rating up to now? 280 - 290?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Magnum6464 said:
what is the steel line at the back, it is circled on the left and right?
That is part of the Halon system i plumbed in, the parts circled are the nozzles. It is the FireBottle 5 lbs electric system.

FYI: there is no 'chrome,' the radiator and plumbed in parts are aluminum. The only 'bling' is the carbon fiber air intake. Am not a fan of bling, prefer form following function.

What else did you add to the car even if you don’t have pictures ???
A shootload. Basically, totally modded suspension (but kept the A-Arms). Everything from bushings to larger sways to dual adjuatable + height adjustable suspension, uprated springs, etc etc. Again, WAY too much to list at this point, but one day i guess i should sit down and list it all.

Nice to meet another racing guy, now I don’t feel so alone, thought I was the only one who loves track…..oh, and mods…..hahahaha!!!!!
Well, if you want to track a 3x8 seriiusly and often, then you know it NEEDS mods.

Check out my site www.EnjoyTheTrack.com :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
The car is looking very good! I like the wheels and brakes behind them, seeing the Brembo caliper really adds a nice touch. What is your hp rating up to now? 280 - 290?

280? in my wet dreams. The engine and tranny are bone stock per rules in my classification. There are some toys i could do to get her to near that, but then i would be breaking the rules. Not sure where she is as far as HP as she has not been on the Dyno is a year or so. That run was not good due to lack of use (stone cold) as she was in the shop getting suspension mods. Will be dyno'ing her in May.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
enjoythemusic said:
That is part of the Halon system i plumbed in, the parts circled are the nozzles. It is the FireBottle 5 lbs electric system.
Love it.....fantastic, did it take long to install and did you test it with water or anything ???

enjoythemusic said:
FYI: there is no 'chrome,' the radiator and plumbed in parts are aluminum. The only 'bling' is the carbon fiber air intake. Am not a fan of bling, prefer form following function.
I didn't mean chrome as being chrome I meant silver/black/silver the contrast of the 3

enjoythemusic said:
I did on your first post...pretty cool !!!!!!!!

~

·
Registered
293 Posts
Magnum6464 said:
Love it.....fantastic, did it take long to install and did you test it with water or anything ???
Glad you like the Enjoy the Track site. Our event, Celebrazione Italiana, should be well-attended by many Italian cars... and motorcycles!

The halon system took about a casual afternoon to install as i took my time and verified and reverified **everything**. Add to that i am a HUGE stickler when it comes to safety so all electricals are soldered/heatshrink, the aluminum tubes are held by plastic wrapped aluminum holders. When the tube passed through the firewall there are hard plastic grommets on both sides.

Tested the delivery tubes with air and my wife verified it was working while electricals were tested with a meter.

It was not a rush job as this was not the time to take any shortcut or forget to do something. The life i save may be my own...

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well enjoythemusic, you have a sweet 308…

Sad to know so little posts or interest in making a Prancing Princess rock solid !!!

~

·
Registered
293 Posts
Magnum6464 said:
Well enjoythemusic, you have a sweet 308… Sad to know so little posts or interest in making a Prancing Princess rock solid !!!
Check the archives (old posts) as there are many great ideas/info here. Just got back from a full day at the track... the new radiator is amazing, as are the (once again) tweaked/uprated suspension bits. The main problem now is that am stuck with Mich Pilot PS2 rubber and am awaiting another set of rims for the Mich Pilot Cup R-compound...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts