Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering doing something a little unusual.

The car is going in for a full front end paint, including the RH outer sill anyway, so I thought what the hell. When I come to sell it won't be silly money to put it back to red.

Am I mad? Very possibly. Does it look rubbish, or does it look good? ... I really can't decide!

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Im a big fan of two tone, and personally I like it. If you are planning on keeping the car for a while I would say go for it, but obviously would have a limited market on re-sale.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well this is interesting, looking at a boxer it seems the paint line is a bit lower, and you see more red wheel well. It would be fun to see different angles just to get a better feel, It would certainly be more acceptable if Ferrari had done this to more models than one. Play with dropping the line maybe 3-4 inches and see how that looks, I'm on the fence! Otter

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Boxer had a different panel line I believe which gave it a natural transition from black to red.

The black on a 348 would have to follow the existing panel line, which is also handy as the whole of the bottom half of the doors with the strakes simply unbolts... as does the front and rear bumpers. The only bits needing to be painted that stay on the car are just forward of the rear wheel and just back from the front wheel.

I was discussing satin black with the guy who keeps the car in tip top condition for me and he had assumed I meant satin black. When we both looked at the car he agreed that it would look very odd, so gloss it would be.

I thought about getting the front and rear angles Photoshopped, but I'm pretty rubbish and have no idea how to do it!

This is what first gave me the idea, a Photoshop job if I'm not mistaken, but still looks bloody gorgeous!

(I prefer the red over black but this would be a much bigger and costlier job).

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
Not sure Al.

I don't dislike the look, but can't say I love it either.

Personally, I really like the early 348 look with the black sills.

PS. I thought you were selling it?? :huh:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I thought about getting the front and rear angles Photoshopped, but I'm pretty rubbish and have no idea how to do it!

This is what first gave me the idea, a Photoshop job if I'm not mistaken, but still looks bloody gorgeous!
I do a bit of graphic design, I can do it for you. What do you have? A 355?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Not a big fan of two tone, it all depends on what you like. The red over black looks better in my opinion.

Chris

·
Registered
224 Posts
I remeber the 288GTO picture, and think I even had a matchbox car with a similiar scheme.

Not sure if I could live with it, but agree the red over black is better.

Great Photoshop work.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You know I have to say I don't mind that at all, it looks very aggressive and still very Ferrari unlike some of the other butchered paint jobs I have seen.

I say go for it...:grin2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Many thanks Filmjay ... could I be really cheeky and ask you to do it on these shots of my car as even things like the wheels make a difference to the look.

Only need to see the black bottom half version as i think black top does not suit that shape like it does on the 288.

Also, the black would have to be gloss, I personally don't like the matt/satin look at all.

Feef free to boost the red slightly if you can as these are a bit washed out.

This is a massive help as it would be quite a big step, you are a true star! Many thanks :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Some cars just do not look good in two-tone, and I am having trouble seein the Ferrari's in two tone.

Three years ago there was a brand new 430 at Concorso on the grass that was red with a black lower painted from the factory! It did not look right. It drew away from the car's graceful lines.

The owner told me he ordered the car with that scheme, but I did not like it.

The early M-B SL's had two-tone lowers which did not go over very well.

Ferrari's are too graceful for me to see varying color schemes.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts