Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went for a ride in a Lamborghini Countach. It was a yellow 1986 5000s in concours condition.

I absolutely love the look of the Countach - one of my favourites of all time but I was shocked at how coarse the drive was. It is a frenzy of noise, bumps and heat in the cabin and I must admit that driving the 308 home, it felt like Rolls Royce in comparison. As hardcore an enthusiast as I am, I can't say that I am really sure I could live with the Countach, even as a weekend car.

I have never been in a Boxer either and I would be interested to hear a comparison of the drives of the two from any of you who have driven both. Is the Boxer also an animal to drive?

Mike

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I was lucky enough to drive my 512BB around Kyalami a few times as well as give driving instruction to the owner of a LP5000S around Kyalami. He enjoyed it so much he asked if I would mind taking his son out for a few laps in the Countach after I had piloted him around. He seemed like a nice bloke and so I did him the favour of doing some more laps in his car with his son as passenger.

The Countach oil temperature remained constant, unlike BB that maxed out after 2 laps. Both had big brake fade after 5 laps. The Lambo was more willing to rev with closer gear ratios but lacked the torque of the BB. The Lambo handled better but was very frustrating going down the gears. Sometimes it would go 4-3 or 3-2 no problem and other times it refused to engaged a lower gear no matter how much double declutching I tried. I had the same problem with an Espada I tried on the road. Thus each corner was either taken faster than the BB if the gearbox decided to work with me, or was taken slower than I could have walked around it when it refused to engage a lower gear.

For the track, for some laps the Lambo was more satisfying than the BB when it all came together and for other laps it was far less satisfying than the BB. Despite making different music, both sounded glorious from the flat 12 roar of the BB to the V12 howl of the Countach. For the road the Boxer had a very smooth ride, quiet but lovely sounding and very long legs. I would guess a way better car on the road for longer drives than the Lambo.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I've never driven either, but would absolutely love the opportunity to drive a Boxer. As for the Countach, sorry, but it does nothing at all for me, never has done, not even when I was a kid. The Boxer's on the other hand were always my pin up cars in the 70's and early 80's. I've always said that a Countach looks like a Hummer crossed with an armadillo.

Even so, it sounds like you had a great day today Schumacher, and if you love the Countach, hopefully you'll feel very satisfied with yourself:)

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
The 80's Lambo Countach may be pleasing to one's eyes and soul but ride is a little disappointing. The car is for going in straight line and is not that fast (relative, that is). Boxers are faster, if you have the skills to push them to their limits. Boxers ride is like Rolls Royce (as mentioned) in comparison (even tho there are differences among the three Boxers themselves). Jimmy

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The 80's Lambo Countach may be pleasing to one's eyes and soul but ride is a little disappointing. The car is for going in straight line and is not that fast (relative, that is). Boxers are faster, if you have the skills to push them to their limits. Boxers ride is like Rolls Royce (as mentioned) in comparison (even tho there are differences among the three Boxers themselves). Jimmy
I agree four of my friends own Countach and Diablos and they both ride rough and noisy.

The countach is definitely something to be desired very rough and no head room, and although the Diablo is more refined and stunning to look at the ride is unpleasant and again no head room if you are 6 ft tall or taller.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I saw a stunning black Countach a few weeks ago. Style wise it definitely has its place in automotive history. In many ways if Lambo had not launched the Countach, the Testarossa would have been a very different car.

Aesthetics aside, I drove one once, and it was simply painful.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
It is not a driver's car by any means. The same is true of the Diablo, just looking at it and it looks like it will break. The Gallardo clearly has VW blood in it and drives significantly smoother. I drove the Murcielago a couple of times and to date it is probably in my top 10 of favorite cars I've personally driven.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I drove the Murcielago a couple of times and to date it is probably in my top 10 of favorite cars I've personally driven.
Very cool Andrew! Not too many people have driven one of those!

My mate has a 2001 Diablo and I must say it looks like a great car. I have not been inside it yet so I can't comment on the way it handles or drives but we had a drive together (me in my 550 and he in his Diablo) and it looked great through the corners. I was surprised I could stick to his exhaust in my 550 even though he accellerated full blast - made me feel really good about my car! The Diablo is supposed to have 550 bhp vs. my 485, and it's slightly lighter as well. I was wondering if the American spec (6 silencers!!!) had anything to do with it. Whatever, still felt great to be able to keep up at full accelleration! It's what makes the 550 so good - you just don't really expect the level of performance it manages to give.

The one thing that is completely at odds with that car, BTW: it sounds like a bleemin' Rolls (i.e. you can't hear anything)! Especially with the 6 silencers, you just can't hear it. I'm hoping my friend will have the sports exhaust fitted by now, because it was looking at a 1920's silent movie up till now!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
260 Posts
The Countach is a tough car to drive. I have two Countachs as well as a Boxer among others but 45 minutes is the most I can handle in the Countach. It is very clausterphobic and launching in first gear is always the most difficult. Once you get rolling, than not a problem. I have a 1984 BBi and I only drove it for no more than 20 miles if that. It seems like its a very easy car to drive and it has much more visual clearance than most exotics. I am currently having a full engine out service and installing new headers and new exhaust (capristo 3) at Motorcars of Distinction (www.modexotics.com). Actually, I have five Ferraris that Motorcars of Distinction is actually doing major engine out service as well as new headers and exhaust on all of them. If you go in their website in a few days, you can probably see my cars there. The best car in my collection and my favorite is my Murcielago Roadster. That car is such a pleasure to drive and already logged more than 5K this season. There is not too much difference in power between my LP640 and the regular Murcielago Roadster. I installed an after market exhaust system for my roadster(Lamborghini of Orange County Exhaust). The only major fault with the roadster is that it does not have a functional top.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have quite the collection. Would you be able to post up some pictures of your incredible beasts?

Chris

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good to see you here, Jimmy. Hope everything is well with you. How are the clowns at FChat?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know Gustan has a boxer and several Countach's.. Maybe ask him.. I dont know if he is a member here thou.. but he is over at exoticcartalk..
I hope you get an answer..

All the best
Jonas,

I am here. ITS ME. I just signed up couple of days ago. Is this site related to Ferrari Chat. Com?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Who might know? I don`t want to get involved in the silly, childish, dumb bureacratic B.S. like those clowns have going.

·
Registered
260 Posts
This site is not related to FChat. In fact I have heard that the owner of FChat intensely dislikes the gentleman who runs FLife.
Cool, I lost a shitload of respect for FChat and do not want anything to do with them. Never ever encountered such a weird group of certified clowns in my life. I do not mean the member, I mean Rob Lay and one ego hungry police department reject moderator that just recently banned Jonas for two weeks.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Jonas,

Does this site ban people for nothing like FChat? Do they have cop wanna bees moderators with major egos?
Welcome.

I have rarely seen anyone get banned. Everyone here is either an owner, soon to be owner, or hard core enthusiast. All are adults and behave like adults so no issues or egos. Other thing is that this place is as much an information resource as a forum, so you get a different attitude. Here are a few examples:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/guides.php
http://www.ferrarilife.com/flq/flq.php
http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/list_articles.php
http://www.ferrarilife.com/mylife/

etc.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts