Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new to this site but not new to exotic car ownership. I had a 328 GTS, a number of Porsches and currently have a 1975 Lambo Urraco. I saw a 1977 512 carbed Boxer at my mechanic's shop in San Diego, fell in love after sitting in it, and have been considering buying it in place of my Lambo. I have read some threads on this site and on Ferrarichat and would appreciate input from current Boxer owners about their worst experiences as opposed to all the good stories with their cars and their opinions on Boxer ownership as well. It would be greatly appriciated because I have researched what the magazines all say about them but I would like statements from real owners before I take the plunge.
Jesse

·
Administrator
15,145 Posts
Hi Jesse, I have two so my opinion of them is pretty high. Here is the link to the article I did for Andrew on the pair.

http://www.ferrarilife.com/flq/

great cars to drive.

If you buy well, a Boxer will not cost you a fortune to maintain. Most expensive maintenance item is the cambelt change every four years. Maintenance history, especially for the last 5-6 years is key. If used and well maintained regularily it should not give you any problems. Be careful with cars that have sat for long periods. I try to drive mine at least once a week. The 512 BB is probably the best all around choice of the three. It still has the great carb sound while being more civilized and easier to handle than the 365 BB. If you have any specific questions, please PM me. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Wonderful idea !

Congratulation, Jesse ! You are entering a new realm of car experience. I myself own one 1973 #17585 365GT4 BB. Yes, it is the inital BB. I have owned it for about a year and half w/o any so called serious problems. I chose the 365BB over the latter two because I like the more "pure & simple design" relative to the others. I also like the triple exhaust & triple rear lamps. Appearance wise, I also enjoy the rearview where you see the exposed mainfolds. Latter models' got big bumpers hiding the manifolds. Driving wise, it is probably more raw and unsophisticated that the rest, but to me that is the appeal. Driving is more direct and tiring but fun. Interior is more simple. If you prefer more drivability and comfort, the best choice would be the 512BBi but is not a carb. Listen to Boxer cause he is the authority here. Read the said article and if you still have questions, feel free to ask. Good luck there. Jimmy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopeful Boxer owner

Thank you Jimmy and Boxer. Your input was greatly appreciated. I actually arranged the finances to purchase it but I am having my mechanic perform a PPI and then discuss pricing options with the owner. If my Lambo sells as fast as he thinks, if the car turns out to be good and we can agree on a fair price, then I should have it very shortly. I have also budgeted for a major service, belt change and possibly a valve job with new stainless steel valves as opposed to the old, original sodium filled exhausts ones for piece of mind because I intend to drive it regularly. It seems like a good find. It is a 1977 512 BB, black with white interior ( not too crazy about the interior color but it is cool in a period-correct kind of way) one owner car with approx. 74000kms roughly 33000miles with all books, tools and records. I'll keep you posted and send pics if the deal goes through. Thanks again!

·
Administrator
15,145 Posts
Jesse, I hope it all works out. Make sure your mechanic checks for leaks from the water pump and that the AC works properly. Boxer cabins can get quite toasty on hot days and the AC is marginal even when it is in good condition. One other weak spot is the fuse box, they tend to overheat and melt in hot weather. Also check the age on the tires. If over 8 years old they should be replaced and right now they run $350-400 a piece.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Boxer PPI

Thank you for the info. I fortunately have one of the most well known and respected Ferrari/Lamborghini mechanics in the world who has done complete restorations on Lambo Miuras including one owned by the Shah of Iran which is sitting in his shop now. I know when he goes through the car, it will be bulletproof.
What is your opinion on the sodium filled exhaust valves? I read a thread on this site or Ferrarichat where an owner was doing his own engine-out major service and documenting the entire process. He used replacement stainless steel valves to prevent possible future catastrophic engine damage. Do you think this is a necessary upgrade worth having done? Also, is there a solution or replacement for the fuse box problem? Also, the owner has replaced all the tires with new, correct Michilin XWXs. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
That's the BB @ Bobileff !

Great choice, Jesse. That's the BB @ Bobileff's in San Diego neighborhood ! He's got the deserved reputation and if Bob says its a decent car, then it is. He is to be trusted. Beautiful BB from the pics and the asking price is a fare one too. Black is one of the excellent color for a BB. Besides, it is a carb. I don't think you'll go wrong here. I can understand the hesitations if you have any, but this one looks good w/ the necessary back ups. When I bought my 365 BB, I was a little hesitant too (my original choice was a Miura, but the deal fell thru), but the thing that sold me was that the preious owner was a professional motorbike racer who's dream was to own a BB and take it apart for fun. He literally took the engine out twice to replace the worn parts and the bill for the replacement parts alone were more than $40,000. He also had a hundred or so digital pics to back up his work that showed lots of things that were in need of replacement and fixing. Probably because of his endeavor, I am not having any serious problems now. I do return to LA area several times a year (I went to USC & UCLA) so I am familiar w/ your territory. Let us know of the outcome and I am sure it would be a good one too. w/smiles Jimmy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bobileff Boxer

Yes, Jimmy, that is the car! I actually saw it in person and it looks good but, it is a 30 year old car. It has some rough edges to it, but looks good overall. When I sat in it, I fell in love with it. He also has a red '95 348 Spyder which is a very good deal, but it doesn't stir the soul like the Boxer. It must be the classic Ferrari mystique that I have read about as a kid that comes to mind with the Boxer. I've known Gary for about 3 years and he restored my Lambo Urraco making it one of the best sorted ones in the area if not the country. He's very fair and makes recommendations based on my budget, not his, so I will trust his evaluation of the car. Thank you guys so much. I will certainly keep you posted.

·
Administrator
15,145 Posts
J Ingram said:
What is your opinion on the sodium filled exhaust valves? I read a thread on this site or Ferrarichat where an owner was doing his own engine-out major service and documenting the entire process. He used replacement stainless steel valves to prevent possible future catastrophic engine damage. Do you think this is a necessary upgrade worth having done? Also, is there a solution or replacement for the fuse box problem? Also, the owner has replaced all the tires with new, correct Michilin XWXs. Thanks again.
I have never had problems with exhaust valves or heard of any others having issues. Net net, not sure its worth doing but would ask around a bit more.

On the fusebox, I have had both the one in the 512 BB and the 365 BB replaced with new ones sourced from Maranello Parts in the UK.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats!!!

Thank you for the info. I'll keep ypou posted. I can see what you mean about not doing a lot of unnecessary preventative maintenance. It does make more sense to just enjoy and drive the car until something breaks. I have a budget of $25k on hand in case something bad comes up if I get the car. So I'll just cross that bridge when I go under it!! Ha Ha! Oh congratulations on your new car. I think the 550s are awesome. Are you going to sell any of your other cars or just add to your collection?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with your philosophy. It's a shame you live in Europe. I would definitely buy your 512 if it were ever for sale and if i lived there. Enjoy the 550.

·
Registered
10 Posts
new boxer

I am new to the forum. I have just purchased an 83 BBi. It red w/o the boxer trim. It has 22,500 Kms and generally in very nice shape. I am still sorting the car out. Everyone talks about how great the carbureted cars are, but I was hesitant because of my experience with a current Lamborghini Jarama which I own. It has six Weber sidedrafts and is constantly acting up if it is not driven regularly. The pump jets constantly stick due to residue from the gas. The boxer has had a major service last year and has been well cared for. I already had to change the clutch slave cylinder and plugs myself and it was a real pain for the slave cylinder. Other than that I plan to change the "sport" exhaust that was installed by Amerispec to an original stock European exhaust. Ben

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ben Chu said:
I am new to the forum. I have just purchased an 83 BBi. It red w/o the boxer trim. It has 22,500 Kms and generally in very nice shape. I am still sorting the car out. Everyone talks about how great the carbureted cars are, but I was hesitant because of my experience with a current Lamborghini Jarama which I own. It has six Weber sidedrafts and is constantly acting up if it is not driven regularly. The pump jets constantly stick due to residue from the gas. The boxer has had a major service last year and has been well cared for. I already had to change the clutch slave cylinder and plugs myself and it was a real pain for the slave cylinder. Other than that I plan to change the "sport" exhaust that was installed by Amerispec to an original stock European exhaust. Ben
Congratulations and welcome to the boxer club!

·
Administrator
15,145 Posts
Ben Chu said:
Congratulations and welcome. Not surprised ot hear that your BBi does not have the "Boxer" trim, very few BBi's left the factory with it. Good call on the exhaust and I would recommend going for a stainless steel Euro version. With the right exhaust, a Boxer has to be one of the top 2-3 sounding Ferraris.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats!

Ben Chu said:
Congrats on your purchase Ben. I don't think you will be disappointed in your choice in the long run. I had a Lambo Urraco with 4 two barrel down draft Webers and I don't think you can compare the two. The carbs are different on your car compared to the Boxer - side draft vs down draft. I will be finally getting my carbed car tomorrow so I can let you know after a little while how it works. But, I will be driving mine quite often unless it becomes too valuable to use as much as I plan.

·
Administrator
15,145 Posts
J Ingram said:
is a 1977 512 BB, black with white interior ( not too crazy about the interior color but it is cool in a period-correct kind of way) one owner car with approx. 74000kms roughly 33000miles with all books, tools and records. I'll keep you posted and send pics if the deal goes through. Thanks again!
How is the life with your new 512 BB ?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Congrats, Ben Chu on your new love. Boxer, as always, I enjoy reading your shared expertise on these beautiful cars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How is the life with your new 512 BB ?
Hey guys. Sorry it has taken me so long to write, but so much has happened since I bought the car. Nothing bad, just a lot of things going on. Well, firstly, I sold my Lambo finally for 10k more than I paid for it about a week after listing it with my mechanic. I also sold my custom chopper and finally my Vette Z06 all within a month or two. I got the 330i twin turbo Bimmer coupe as my daily driver instead of the Volvo I originally planned on getting.
So, I finally got the Boxer home Dec. 2nd after waiting for the previous owner to smog it and a timing belt change. I had some small things done such as period correct mirrors, new water pump, new ignition wires, carb removal, clean, rebuild and retune. I drove it back from San Diego (about 90 miles) and the first experience was a bit more than I expected. I had a tough time driving it in slow traffic as the gas pedal was as stiff as the clutch. So, I had a few embarrassing stalls in traffic. So, the next day was a bit better until the clutch pedal dropped to the floor at an off ramp. The culprit was a failed slave cylinder which my mechanic changed with my help the following weekend. Since then, it has been bulletproof and an absolute rocket ship. I now have a small leak from the left side of the steering arm from the new rack that was put on. I think it is just a hose clamp that is not working properly. So, that is my story. I'll keep everyone posted. Congrats on your purchases Boxer and Jimmy. I'll bet the F-40 and the Daytona are awesome to drive. Take care.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts