Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another difficult one for you guys:

What are the pro and cons in your opinion which would favor either a Boxer or a Daytona in respect of

1. Styling
2. Handling
3. Sound
4. Brakes
5. Performance
6. Maintenance
7. Repairs costs
8. Parts availability
9. Your final choice between the two (absent of price differences)

Thanks for replies:)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I can't make a decision based on all of the above points as I am no expert on either car. My decision is based purely on styling and the first Ferrari I was aware of or fell in love with was the 365 Boxer, so it would have to be my choice.
Not sure if this is an age thing, I was 6 yrs old when the 365 Boxer was launched, so I don't remember the Daytona in its prime as the flagship V12 2-seater. I guess those of you who are a bit older than me will prefer the Daytona? I've never really liked the Daytonas styling or the front lights

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Another difficult one for you guys:

What are the pro and cons in your opinion which would favor either a Boxer or a Daytona in respect of

1. Styling
2. Handling
3. Sound
4. Brakes
5. Performance
6. Maintenance
7. Repairs costs
8. Parts availability
9. Your final choice between the two (absent of price differences)

Thanks for replies:)
In my humble opinion, the short answer is:

1. This is purely subjective and personal. Both are true classics that have stood the test of time.

2. Have to go with the Boxer on handling. Mid vs front engine.

3. Sound. Daytona due to the trashing chains but just barely. Both are in another league.

4. On brakes, neither. They are both scary when one needs to stop fast.

5. Total performance. Probably the Boxer by a hair. Slightly better acceleration and handling.

6. Maintenance. The Daytona purely due to the fact that you don't have to pull the engine out every 3-5 years to change the cambelts.

7. Repairs would be about equal.

8. Parts are probably in favor of the Daytona as there is a more established ownership network.

9. Drive them both and then decide.:D

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Boxer pretty much said it all. If I may add few notes, remember that Daytona was meant to be just an interim model until the debut of midship Boxer. Yet, it has proved itself to be such a success that Ferrari produced way more than they planned to. From the standpoint of engine sound, the big difference is chain vs. belt and length of exhaust pipes. These are all quite subjective. Probably, Daytona proves to be an "easier" car for a long drive in terms of creature comfort. w/ smiles Jimmy

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) Many thanks for those insightful comments, especially to you, Boxer.:)

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Hey, never thought of that! Amazing what you can learn on these forums.

Onno
At least, the factor of pipe lengths from front V12 all the way to the rear add to that wonderful exhaust notes, especially 365GTC/4 makes one of the most exciting sound. I believe the side drafts layout there makes the difference. Jimmy

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At least, the factor of pipe lengths from front V12 all the way to the rear add to that wonderful exhaust notes, especially 365GTC/4 makes one of the most exciting sound. I believe the side drafts layout there makes the difference. Jimmy
Indeed amazing the compound knowledge !:)

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am not at all in touch with the pricing of these cars, but isn't the Daytona significantly more expensive to buy than a Boxer?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Based on that the Boxer seems like a bargain at the moment?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
The price range between Boxers and Daytonas is pretty much the same as it has been for the last 8-10 years. When I bought my 512 BB back in 2003 or 2004, Boxers were GBP 30-35k and Daytonas and outragious GBP 60-70k.
These posts make me wince!

I've just paid GBP80k for an excellent 365 Boxer, and I know I've had a good deal with cars on the continent going in the 100k+ mark.

Well, let's hope that in a few years' time I still feel I bought at the right time... :)

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
There is no such thing as buying a BB at the wrong time, only selling it at the wrong time, i.e. do not sell it (unless I want to buy it!)

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
These posts make me wince!

I've just paid GBP80k for an excellent 365 Boxer, and I know I've had a good deal with cars on the continent going in the 100k+ mark.

Well, let's hope that in a few years' time I still feel I bought at the right time... :)

Onno
Not to add fuel to the fire but I paid around GBP 32k for a 365BB (75 London Show car) in early 2005 and then sold it 18 months later for a princely GBP 40k+. I am sure it would be worth near GBP 100k today.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts