Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Is the name Boxer used in the Ferrari model referring to the engine type? Also, the Boxster that Porsche produced, is that some modification for spelling Boxer and is it so named for the Boxer engine styling as well?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
The Boxer is named as you say referring to the boxer engine, also known as a horizontally opposed engine.
Porsche Boxster - 164 cubic inch DOHC horizontally-opposed 6-cylinder

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Alexander348 said:
Hello,

Is the name Boxer used in the Ferrari model referring to the engine type?
Yes, because the engine of the first 365 BB (Berlinetta Boxer) had a 180 degree V12 aka Flat-12 which makes the shape of a "box."

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
Alexander348 said:
Hello,

Is the name Boxer used in the Ferrari model referring to the engine type?
Yes, because the engine of the first 365 BB (Berlinetta Boxer) had a 180 degree V12 aka Flat-12 which makes the shape of a "box."
I thought the name Boxer came from the action of the pistons? Why Boxer? Because in engines with a horizontally opposed cylinder design, the pistons' action mimics a boxer's punching. 8)

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Alexander348 said:
Hello,

Is the name Boxer used in the Ferrari model referring to the engine type? Also, the Boxster that Porsche produced, is that some modification for spelling Boxer and is it so named for the Boxer engine styling as well?
The Boxster's name plays on the words 'boxer' (its horizontally-opposed engine configuration) and 'roadster'.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
marlin said:
The Boxster's name plays on the words 'boxer' (its horizontally-opposed engine configuration) and 'roadster'.
Cool. I did not know this. 8)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Although Porsche probably used the Boxster name indeed for Boxer and Roadster, I thought it was Boxer and Speedster (which has some historic ring in it).

Niels

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
250lm said:
Although Porsche probably used the Boxster name indeed for Boxer and Roadster, I thought it was Boxer and Speedster (which has some historic ring in it).

Niels
:lol: The more I check - the more references I find for both roadster and speedster!! :lol:

Porsche's official website says " Boxster - the roadster reinvented"

It seems like all car manufacturers have their conundrums 8)

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
No problem Andrew, thats why we're all here - to share information. I've certainly gained a lot since I joined. 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts