Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The air on my 'new' Boxer does not work so I took it to my A/C guy today who re-pressurised the system, which held the pressure OK, but the A/C still does not work. The compressor clutch does not engage. We checked out the temperature control in the cabin and it seems to work fine and we could hear the relay clicking in and out. The A/C guy thinks it is the pressure switch on the drier. This seems relatively simple to change but will need another regass. No problem, but the switch which was listed at £35 (around $50) is no longer avaiable and the replacement 'kit' (???) is £300 ($575). Anyone got any ideas where I can get a suitable pressure switch from?

·
Registered
40 Posts
simon

Before ordering a pressure switch, just jump the two pins at the switch with a jumper wire. If the compressor turns on, that is your problem. The switch is just closed by the pressure in the system. When the pressure drops below a set point, the switch prevents the compressor from engaging, protecting the compressor.

If the compressor does come on when jumped, then the switch is bad. I would spend the money of a factory replacement switch. I don't know the factory pressure range spec. but a switch from another supplier may not provide the same specification. A compressor costs a lot more than a switch.

steven

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sduke, good advice. I'll test it out at the weekend.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked out the pressure switch and connecting the wires made difference. Next door to this is a temeprature switch - a small metal box about the size of a large relay with a coiled tude attached and connected to the condensor. I assume taht this is to measure for a too low a temperature of the refrigerant. I checked the connections and found a loose one. Cleaned it up and reconnected it and the A/C is now working again. Hooray

·
Registered
40 Posts
Simon

That's great news. I am glad it worked out. A simple repair saved a bunch of money. I think you will find you are just as good as most mechanics at fixing most things on your Ferrari. Plus, you will tend to be more exacting since it is your money and time being spent. I have found that owners throw fewer hopeful darts at a problem since they know it will cost money if they miss. A lot of mechanics don't mind missing if they can just bill you and take another shot.

steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts