Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the 512 BB out on a long drive early today. Beautiful fall weather. Blue sky, crisp air and as it was early, not a lot of people on the road. Perfect driving conditions. It had been about 2 1/2 weeks since the Boxer had been out for a run. It was an angry beast when I first starting pumping fuel through the Webers and demanded that it wake up. After a bit of a fight the engine finally came to life and settled into a low annoyed rumble. There we sat for about five minutes until the water temp gauge started the long slow journey to 90 degrees C. As soon as we started moving, Oil Pressure read a perfect 6.

It is interesting how soon you forget things. I know that the Boxer's steering is very heavy at low speeds (IMHO the 512 BB is heavier than the 365 GT4 BB) but turning around in the driveway today was a full cardio vascular work out. It might have been easier to try to pick up the front end and walk it around. That completed we were off first to the highway for some high speed cruising to warm up and then into the hills for some curvy B road fun. After about 10 minutes on the highway the engine tempature gauge actually started to move. Sometimes this takes half and hour and if you cruise at low RPMS it may never move. With basically no traffic on the highway though, we were in triple digit territory once everything had fully warmed up. At speed, it forgave me for ignoring it for the past couple of weeks and became a completely different car. The steering is perfectly weighted and highly responsive. It is a much better car at 100 than at 50 mph. At low speed it was rough, barking, with a lot of different noises filling the back of your head. Over 4000 rpm, it is all in harmony. I rarely use the stereo. We crusied for about 20 minutes before exiting onto the B Road portion of the drive.

After navigating quickly through 2 little towns we were in the countryside on a great curvey road. Lots of fast long sweepers that the Boxer is well set up for. The car was really running well at this point and everything flowed smoothly. Getting the corners right I find highly rewarding as you can feel the rear snap into line through the back of the seat. On these roads the Boxer seems to shrink and become more agile than it should be. We did this for about another 30 mintues before heading back. It was a great run and I love the feeling when everything is in sync between man and machine. I am still smiling 10 hours later. A good Sunday. :D :D

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Great story and an awesome ride!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Wow, for a minute there I felt like I was sitting next to you...you are a lucky man.

These are the posts I love to read...this is a man's equivalent reading material of a womans romance novel :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts