Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, like everyone else on here, I've lusted after Ferraris for a long time. I have decided that I WILL make it a reality someday, though it will probably be a couple years away--but it never hurts to start doing research early right? :D I was really deciding between the Testarossa and the F355 (GTB or GTS). Ideally, I would like a 512 TR, but the cost is just out of my reach at this point. Anyway, I've heard that the maintenance on a 12 cylinder Ferrari is outrageous, and that coupled on to the fact that the Testarossas are quickly becoming 20 years old has me considering the F355 more and more. Just curious to get opinions of everyone on here about what they think would make the best first Ferrari. Thanks for any help!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
The F355.

Reasons:

Better styling
More reliable
Better sounds
Better handling
A solid Ferrari.

I do like the TR's V12 over the F355's V8 but as a car overall the F355 is more desirable in my opinion.

·
Registered
749 Posts
AS part of your research you should make contact with a couple of Ferrari mechanics. Not necessarily from Ferrari dealerships, although that would be good, and discuss with the the typical costs for servicing (eg 20K, 30K, 40K, etc). Talk to them about what other things you should be aware of, maybe getting them onside saying that you are looking at some cars & enquiring about them doing pre-purch inspections. You will quickly get a handle on how deep your pockets will need to be to keep either of these cars on the road.

Also don't forget insurance costs and resale values, as depreciation is THE biggest cost in any new or near-new car. :eek: Good luck.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Save yourself from a lot of heartache and worse empty pockets, get the F355. All the friends that had the Testarossa said they were just trouble.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Despite the fact that my next Ferrari will be either a Testarossa or a 512tr, I'm afraid I have to agree with the guys that've already replied.

Not sure I agree with Andrew about the 355 being "Better styling" though. I think this is down to your own taste - and for me the Testarossa is one of the definitive Ferraris, whereas the 355 is quite boring to look at.

Actually, now I've started, I'm not sure I agree with the "Better Sounds" either!!! The sound of a flat 12 screaming/barking through a race exhaust is absolutely electrifying - well, it is to me anyway!!!

I'll happily agree with everything else though! The 355 is a fabulous car, and you'd certainly not be disappointed.

Don't fall into thinking that it'll be cheap to maintain though. Yes, a 12 cylinder Testarossa can ruin you in an instant if it goes bang one day - but to be honest, so can a 355!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
My first Ferrari was a 355b (Silver with dark blue interior). It was a great car and I often regret selling it despite the 360's I have owned since then. There will be things that go wrong however, they will be a lot cheaper to fix then the TR, but remember to allow for extra costs that you may encounter.

I actually got a 2 year extended warrenty on my car (Via Ferrari) which more then paid for itself in the first year when the exhaust system blew a hole and the engine warning light kept comming on (Oxygen sensor defective). If you go for a 355 you might want to check out what a warrenty costs these days!

Dermot

·
Registered
473 Posts
Oh I forgot, I wanted to add to Andrews list of why a 355 over a TR.

Reason 1 Headroom : I would love to own a 512TR, but its just too tight on headroom for me (I'm 6' 1").

Reason 2 Tracking : The TR is just a bit to big for track work, and the smaller size of the 355 will make life much more enjoyable on the track should you choise to go that route

Derm

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
If you have loads of money and want to go big, go TR, if you want to start easy, take the 355. TR, will cause more troubles and are much more expensive to repair.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Dermot said:
Reason 1 Headroom : I would love to own a 512TR, but its just too tight on headroom for me (I'm 6' 1").
Surprised by that Dermot - I'm 6'½" and the tr is fine for me. To be fair the Testarossa is a bit of a squeeze - but for me the tr is quite roomy!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'd seen some service prices before on the internet somewhere and it was definitely cheaper for the V8... I am kind of shocked that it would be that bad on a Testarossa--granted its a 12 cylinder, but it's almost 20 years old. But I guess that's part of the reason (reliability).

Another question for you: What about routine maintenance like oil changes, etc? Is it easy to do it yourself on these cars? That's somewhere that I could definitely save some money. How bad are the costs associated with these things (in addition to the regular services). Thanks again for the help!!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
If you have 2 right hands you can do a lot yourself. Not a lot of technical things though, because the 355 is computerized. You can fix things like fuel lines and oil etc yourself, it is only just a car. A special car, but still a car.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Get both? Lol.

Honestly, 355 does it for me. I love the testarossa; but power nothing (steering, windows?, seats) means u'll be having a tough time living with it daily. I know you probably won't drive it daily anyway, but believe me, driving a non-power assisted car isn't a hoot. I drove a 348 a few days ago, and i was shocked at the weight. I'm sure others would (especially 348 owners) disagree with me here, but good god, it was really heavy!

I guess in the future, as technology infuses cars with more driver assistance (F1 gears, Electronic Damping, Servo Assisted Brakes, HUD, Launch Control, etc..) we'll soon be scratching our heads on how we actually worked the clutch in first place!

I hope that doesn't happen, cause nothing beats a proper manual when there's a clear road.

·
Registered
770 Posts
adlinyusman said:
I drove a 348 a few days ago, and I was shocked at the weight. I'm sure others would (especially 348 owners) disagree with me here, but good god, it was really heavy!
I'm not disagreeing with you.

Clutch, Steering, Gearbox - they're all an absolute nightmare. But that's part of the challenge and part of the fun. If it was easy to drive, everyone could do it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Bazil said:
Clutch, Steering, Gearbox - they're all an absolute nightmare. But that's part of the challenge and part of the fun. If it was easy to drive, everyone could do it.
Good point. I never looked at it from that perspective. :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't say anything about the techique, except cylinders :wink: Which model do you like more by the styling? What says your heart?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Bazil said:
adlinyusman said:
I drove a 348 a few days ago, and I was shocked at the weight. I'm sure others would (especially 348 owners) disagree with me here, but good god, it was really heavy!
I'm not disagreeing with you.

Man

You must love punishing yourself Bazil ! I'm for the easy life I must admit it..

As for the headroom comment earlier, I've sat in a number of 512's and they all feel limited in headroom to me (Maybe its just me) Having said that, I've not spent any extended length of time driving one (Only on test drives) so things may feel better once you bed down in the seat!

Derm

:green:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Boxer42 said:
Enzo250GTO said:
The F355.

Reasons:

Better styling
More reliable
Better sounds
Better handling
A solid Ferrari.

I do like the TR's V12 over the F355's V8 but as a car overall the F355 is more desirable in my opinion.
I completely agree with Enzo250GTO. The F355 is a great 1st Ferrari.
not only 1st. If I would ever have a 355, I would keep her and nurse her like I do with my pup right now! Even If I would become richer, so I can have a newer or beter Ferrari, I would most likely keep the 355!
But that, of course, is just my personal pasion...( :nuts: )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts