Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a great duel with a TVR Tuscan down some sweeping A roads here in the UK. With the top down I could hear all the sensational noises from both cars, especially when Mr Tuscan lost it and spun out both back wheels getting back on line. Eventually took him just before I turned off home, but a great battle. British Brute Vs Italian Flair. The Ferrari did me proud.

All harmless fun and no children or animals were harmed in this production.

·
Registered
824 Posts
You obviously had great respect for eachothers cars, but how did it end? I mean do you wave to eachother or put your thumb up or so? I assume you did not know the guy?

Niels

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the end we just ran along side and gave the thumbs up. Obviously a TVR owner would always secretly want to own the Ferrari, and there's no way I'd swap, but you are right, there was a mutual respect of the power and capability of these cars.

It just goes to show that drivers of supercar/high performance cars know how to behave on the road. I've lost count of the number of asshole Impreza drivers who want to race everywhere as soon as they clock the 355.

The joy of duelling on the open roads with like-powered cars is that you gradually test each other's limits, spend some time chasing and some following, and generally show respect for the machinery and road conditions. It's not about outright speed or tyre-blasting acceleration at every traffic light – that's far too Max Power and I have long since left it to the XR2s, BMWs and Scoobys.

The real satisfaction comes from knowing you can beat every other car on the road, but then not rising to the challenge.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Quaid said:
The real satisfaction comes from knowing you can beat every other car on the road, but then not rising to the challenge.
Careful Quaid - you can't.

There are plenty of cars out there that can humiliate our Ferraris. We may not like to admit it (I know I don't) but it's a fact.

Do you think you could take Schumacher if you were in your 355 and he was in, say, an Integra Type R? Down a motorway? Down a b-road?

A well driven Impreza, EVO, Skyline will murder virtually anything down a wet and/or twisty road with comparable drivers at the wheel.

In fact, if the driver's good enough, it's quite easy to be humiliated by a lot of things.

Try taking your 355 on a track day full of Caterhams/Westfields/Nobles. It can be a humbling experience!! See how well you can keep up with the 4WD boys around a wet track!!

It's a sad fact that the "joy of duelling on the open roads" isn't much about testing the car at all - it's about testing the driver.

But I'm not saying it's not fun, or that I've never done it!! :wink:

And, please, be a bit more respectful to the "asshole Impreza drivers".
Firstly, I used to be one, and secondly, I doubt you were driving a 355 the day you passed your test - remember where you came from.

Bazil

·
Registered
824 Posts
What I do not understand is what happens overhere.

Guy wants to street race (illegal, but he does not care) and buy a VW Golf GTI or something like that.

Spends lots of money on it to make it a bit faster (four or more times the value of the original car :nuts: ) and than notices that a standard Impreza GT, Lancer Evo etc is faster anyway!

Why not spent your money well and buy the Impreza or Lancer?

Never understood those guys. Not my type of car lovers...

Niels

·
Registered
770 Posts
Niels - I know exactly what you mean, it's insane. :nuts:

However, I do know that most of them would say "Every Impreza/EVO is the same, my car is unique."

But even knowing this, I still don't understand why they don't buy something decent in the first place!! Some of the kids are spending hideous amounts on engine work.

What really gets me is that you can spend 4 times the value of the original car, and it's not added a penny to the value of the car when you've finished!! :ugh:

I guess it's a little bit like lawyers being happy whoever wins - the engine tuners are always happy too!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"There are plenty of cars out there that can humiliate our Ferraris. We may not like to admit it (I know I don't) but it's a fact."

– Very true. In fact my 355 is only on a par with my 993 C2 in terms of acceleration, and not in the same league as my GT3 which I have to confess is by far the best car I have ever owned.

"Try taking your 355 on a track day full of Caterhams/Westfields/Nobles. It can be a humbling experience!! See how well you can keep up with the 4WD boys around a wet track!!"

– Unfair comparison, given that the Cs and Ws are built purely for tracks and sprints. Noble is admitedly fast, but far too skittish and you rarely find an owner brave enough to push it. I've seen someone lose one big-time on a track day and it wasn't pretty.
I would always stick with Porsches for track days (GT3 and 964 RS). Not as outright fast as Caterhams, but far safer and more durable than my dear old Ferrari.

"And, please, be a bit more respectful to the "asshole Impreza drivers".
Firstly, I used to be one, and secondly, I doubt you were driving a 355 the day you passed your test - remember where you came from."

– Apologies, but this is based on personal experience and obviously does not apply to all Impreza drivers. All I am saying is that every driver in one I have encountered has acted like a dick.
Doubtless if I was in a Scooby then perhaps there would be mutal respect, but since I am not, all I tend to get are drag races and dangerous behaviour. The 4 wheel drive seems to endow them with a sense of invincibility. Strange that it is only Scoobys that act like this, whereas other stereotypical 'boy racer' car owners do not.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Quaid said:
Unfair comparison, given that the Cs and Ws are built purely for tracks and sprints. Noble is admitedly fast, but far too skittish and you rarely find an owner brave enough to push it. I've seen someone lose one big-time on a track day and it wasn't pretty.
Not unfair at all - they're road cars built for the road. They just happen to be excellent at "tracks and sprints"!!

Quaid said:
Apologies, but this is based on personal experience and obviously does not apply to all Impreza drivers. All I am saying is that every driver in one I have encountered has acted like a dick.
Doubtless if I was in a Scooby then perhaps there would be mutal respect, but since I am not, all I tend to get are drag races and dangerous behaviour. The 4 wheel drive seems to endow them with a sense of invincibility. Strange that it is only Scoobys that act like this, whereas other stereotypical 'boy racer' car owners do not.
No apologies necessary. You should consider that the invincibility they seem to endow upon the driver may actually be because they're "that good"!! Having owned one for a time, I'd suggest that may be the case. I know it pains us to believe that a £20k car can be so good - but it really is!!

Seriously Quaid - don't want to start a war of words - but I thought the "The real satisfaction comes from knowing you can beat every other car on the road, but then not rising to the challenge." sounded very pompous - and I try to counter the pomposity that goes with Ferrari ownership whenever I find it. It also sounded like you're the one guilty of feeling "invincible" - and you're not!!

Owning a Ferrari doesn't put us in a higher social scale, it doesn't mean we're better than anyone else, and it certainly doesn't mean we're better drivers!!! There are plenty of cars and drivers out there that can make us look really foolish!! I should know - I own one too!!! :green:

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Bazil said:
Owning a Ferrari doesn't put us in a higher social scale, it doesn't mean we're better than anyone else, and it certainly doesn't mean we're better drivers!!! There are plenty of cars and drivers out there that can make us look really foolish!! I should know - I own one too!!! :green:
I don't want this thread to get personal. I don't think he meant he is a better person or driver. Just his car is better. I have respect for all cars (for the most part) and when you start to compare a Ferrari to an Imprez you are beginning to compare Apples and Oranges IMO.

Bottomline is why did you buy the car? If you want the fastest car on the planet then Ferrari isn't the car of choice. Basically what it all comes down to is preference, taste and money (what you can afford).

But to stay on topic, I think a friendly duel down a road is well inline and fun as hell. The thing I miss most about living in Tokyo so I can't wait to return home.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
I don't want this thread to get personal.
Neither do I - absolutely not. Apologies if it came across that way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
best road duel?
hmm..dun hav any...hehehe....
the most i had wuz that i have this fren (in his BMW) who always liked to race me on straights.... and cos i drive my dad's SUV, i try not to race on highways (high Center of gravity + highspeed = danger) (also cos i got caught once)....

but when it comes to twisty twisty roads.... i always leave him behind....
i think twisty roads are the most fun to drive... :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"I don't want this thread to get personal. I don't think he meant he is a better person or driver. Just his car is better. I have respect for all cars (for the most part) and when you start to compare a Ferrari to an Imprez you are beginning to compare Apples and Oranges IMO."

Yes I agree with this view entirely. I was not saying that the Ferrari is faster/ better than every other car on the road, nor that I am the better driver. But it is certainly one of the most, if not the ^ most special car you can buy. The performance is just part of the magic. It's the looks the history and how special it makes you feel driving it. In that respect, yes a Ferrari is one of the best cars you can own.

Also remember that the majority of people on the road perceive every Ferrari to be the fastest car on the planet, and many will try to see how their car compares. They foolishly believe that if they beat you at a set of traffic lights, their car must therefore be the fastest car in the world. QED.
All I am saying is that it is more satisfying to not take the bait.[/i]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It also sounded like you're the one guilty of feeling "invincible" - and you're not!!

Bazil,

Anyone who has had a 380bhp rear wheel drive supercar snap round on a wet road will know they are not "invincible." Me included.

Japanese four wheel drive and sophisticated driving aids will beat V8 grunt every time.

But since this is a forum dedicated to the joy of driving and own Ferraris, not Q cars, then I think I can be forgiven for getting a bit carried away occasionally...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts