Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to buy our first Ferrari. Looking for something that can be driven 5000-7500 miles per year in reasonable comfort. Not afraid to spend money on maintenance, but don't want the car in the shop all the time. Any suggestions on which cars would fit me for under $150K ?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Best Driver

My vote is for a 360 Modena with a 6 speed. My sources tell me it's a very reliable car if you stay away from the early paddle shift trans. There appear to be lots of 360s out there for sale with very low mileage. Have fun. -Steve

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
My vote: F355

If you care a lot about exhaust note you can die for, then my vote is F355 Berlinetta or Spider manual transmission. Very reliable car if maintenance is not spared. As a matter of fact, after two years I did not find it as exhilarating as it used to. I changed to a 1973 365GT4 BB. No regreds. Another choice would be 550 Maranello. Test drive and see which one you like. The rest is all personal preference. Happy search. Jimmy

·
Registered
366 Posts
F355

Actually, I agree with Jimmy. The exhaust sound on a 355 with a Tubi exhaust is intoxicating. All you want to do is go through the gears, then slow down and do it again. As long as you are aware of a few problems such as exhaust manifolds and power top mechanisms, a 355 is a great choice, too. Half the fun is deciding what to buy, isn't it. (Well maybe not half). -Steve

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I think you need to drive a couple of the cars that have been mentioned here. If you are using it as a daily driver I agree with Boxer get the 550, everyone raves about that car.

I would also consider a F355 and 360

·
Registered
15 Posts
360's are very reliable and easy to maintain. F355's while in my personal opinion look better and are the best sounding cars on this earth are not as maintenance friendly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Boxer said:
For what is is worth, I have owned both a 550 and a F355. The former is definitely more suited for use as a daily driver.

The 360 is a much better choice than the 355, if your looking for a more "tossable", 8- cyl.F-car car experience. If a 12-cyl, "GT type" F-car floats your boat, a 550 (or even a 456, if you need the rear seats) is the way to go.
The 355 is beautiful, and does sound boss (as others have mentioned), but as far as reliability is concerned...it is a dog in comparision to the 360. The 360 also has a much nicer interior, and is more suited to larger/taller drivers than the 355 was. I also agree with others who have posted in this thread, avoid F-1 trannies, they are not quite perfected in either form/function or long-term reliability. Besides, once the F-1 "gee-whiz" factor wears off, and all your left with is the jerky throttle modulation and the clutch eating traffic situation (BEEP, BEEP, BEEP....) you'll be missing a true manual transmission (just for the "fun" factor)
I have found the 550 to be the best all around car I have ever driven. However, this is with my own priorities in mind. Go out looking, test drive all these cars, and find out which makes you happiest.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
my vote is F355(spider,gts,berlinetta)cause very exotic exhaust sound,great looking and has real ferrari soul.its car awesome.Good Luck!!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
550. Who's going to argue with Bart??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts