Ferrari Life Forum banner

Best colour for a 550

141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Domenic- Want to see which is faster, a red or a blue 575M?
LOL

I came very close to buying an 04 575M, TDF/cuoio at Penske/Wynn in Jan. 2009. It's a beautiful color.

I am content with my silver one.......but your red one is probably faster....;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have never seen a 550 you owe it to yourself to actually see one, it is a truely beautiful work of art, very sleek, subtle and sensual. It has all the lines of a well built female, a true head turner, and photo's do not even come close to doing it justice.

Mikel
+1.

I had my doubts about a 550/575 in yellow until I saw one in the metal. Plus, hey, I would never question Eric Clapton's (giallo 575M) taste!

Jack.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am looking at 550s now... I saw a Tour de France on which I loked VERY much. However, that got sold and now I am looking at a Pozzi blue one. But I am very sceptic to the non metallic paint..... I guess it will be harder to sell? I like black too, but then it has to be black daytona met. I had "dazzling black" on my 1991 Maserati one time. That was a black color with "gold" metallic. That was just fantastic. Never had a paint like that since. I guess the metallic effect makes the car look more shiny?

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
But I am very sceptic to the non metallic paint..... I guess it will be harder to sell? I like black too, but then it has to be black daytona met. I had "dazzling black" on my 1991 Maserati one time. That was a black color with "gold" metallic. That was just fantastic. Never had a paint like that since.
I wouldn't be worried about Pozzi affecting resale - it is an original colour and it suits the 550/575 very, very well. Personally I do prefer my own Porsche Nightblue which is like Pozzi but metallic, but only 1 was sprayed like that at the factory. But any Maranello in any colour is very hard to sell so you should buy it just because you like it. In any case your starting point right now is already very low so you are unlikely to lose much money.

Regarding the metallic black - there is a new Ferrari colour that is similar to what you describe: Nero Stellato, developed for the SA Aperta. It is black with a red/bronze metallic sheen which gives the effect of little highlights or 'stars' (stellato = starlike). It does look spectacular, and I've ordered it for my 458 which is coming in May 2012.

Onno

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
Andrew had to clue me in that whenever anybody votes in a poll and does not post, it still shows up as a new post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Verde 550, Jonathan you found a very rare and beautiful gem

This is my recently acquired 550, which is Verde Mugello (picture taken on a bit of a dull day, unfortunately). As far as I know it is the only one in the UK in this colour. I'm sure many won't like it but personally I think it looks fantastic and its great to have something a bit different.

Jonathan
Jonathan, I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm doing this right. It's so refreshing to see a color other then red or yellow on a Ferrari. Johnathan, green is my favorite color and white a close second. You found a very rare and beautiful 550, great find.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I am looking at 550s now... I saw a Tour de France on which I loked VERY much. However, that got sold and now I am looking at a Pozzi blue one. But I am very sceptic to the non metallic paint..... I guess it will be harder to sell?......

Dear 456, this is years late, as I just read you post. Whatever you may have done since your post, please accept this comment in the good, friendly sense in which I offer it: why is it that so many potential Ferrari buyers are thinking of selling their [potential] Ferraris not only before they have found them but also before they have even identified the model they want to buy? It gets me absolutely nuts.

Are you buying a Ferrari to make money? Then you're a dealer.

Are you buying a Ferrari to avoid losing money? Then you have a loser's mentality.

Passing up a Ferrari in a color you love because you don't want to lose money is incomprehensible to me. Buying a color you dislike because it will sell for more when you [may] sell it is worse than incomprehensible.

Are you buying a Ferrari to have fun and to experience the joy of driving the bloody thing? Then you're a tifoso.

As to any Maranello, 550 or 575, you will be looking at (in my not-so-humble-opinion) the most flawlessly beautiful Ferrari the Company has ever produced, bar none. And one of the finest pure driving machines ever to come from Maranello - not as fast or quick or track-oriented as some more recent Ferraris but everything you could ever wish for, for normal public road driving.

Find the car in the colors you want (outside and in, for the interior color is the one you'll be seeing lots more of than the exterior awhile you drive) and the options, buy it, enjoy it, keep it for as long as you can drive ably. For IMHO any Maranello is a lifetime keeper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Find the car in the colors you want (outside and in, for the interior color is the one you'll be seeing lots more of than the exterior awhile you drive) and the options, buy it, enjoy it, keep it for as long as you can drive ably. For IMHO any Maranello is a lifetime keeper.

You are absolutely right, Seth.
Bought a 575M F1 in Switzerland. Color I absolutely love: Grigio Ingrid. Beige leather interior, black carpets, carbon package, Fiorano Handling Package, power HIFI, modular rims, special stitching (testa di moro). 30 kkm.
Saw a Grigio Nuvolari in Germany earlier, but it appeared to have been resprayed completely and the interior was repainted completely. At 25k km!. Also the grill was not factory standard. Seller could not explain. Walked away. A really beautiful color though.

That's the sign, not long after that, I found the Grigio Ingrid. Beautiful combination, all the wanted options. F1 is really a nice thing to have. Works well. If I want to "paddle the stick" I take my 348 TS. You all know that can be a really challenging experience. Driving the 348 for at least 5000km a year, no garage-queen. Planning to drive the 575 as often as I can.

So for me: Grigio Ingrid is the color. But, as Seth says, just drive it. Drove the 575 back from Sankt Gallen to Alkmaar myself. Drove through the Black Forrest Germany for a lovely test drive on curvy roads with lots of hair-pins. And my wife even wanted to drive it. Is not keen on driving the 348, but the 575: Yes! Now she knows and appreciates Ferrari driving. What more do you want? A really wonderful GT for the long distance driving.

Sorry for the rusty appearing brake-discs, just washed the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Very pretty and well equipped 575M. Pass me the serial number and assembly number (in front of the engine), and I will add her to the database.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Dear 456, this is years late, as I just read you post. Whatever you may have done since your post, please accept this comment in the good, friendly sense in which I offer it: why is it that so many potential Ferrari buyers are thinking of selling their [potential] Ferraris not only before they have found them but also before they have even identified the model they want to buy? It gets me absolutely nuts.

Are you buying a Ferrari to make money? Then you're a dealer.

Are you buying a Ferrari to avoid losing money? Then you have a loser's mentality.

Passing up a Ferrari in a color you love because you don't want to lose money is incomprehensible to me. Buying a color you dislike because it will sell for more when you [may] sell it is worse than incomprehensible.

Are you buying a Ferrari to have fun and to experience the joy of driving the bloody thing? Then you're a tifoso.

As to any Maranello, 550 or 575, you will be looking at (in my not-so-humble-opinion) the most flawlessly beautiful Ferrari the Company has ever produced, bar none. And one of the finest pure driving machines ever to come from Maranello - not as fast or quick or track-oriented as some more recent Ferraris but everything you could ever wish for, for normal public road driving.

Hello Seth,
i'm in total agree with you !!!
We must enjoy our cars, in colour that every one of us like! ....

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
In fairness to 456, Seth, he may not intend to keep his 550 forever (although once he buys it, he may change his mind!), but to enjoy it for a year or two and then move on (maybe to another Ferrari, maybe to something completely different: life is short, and there are so many wonderful cars to be owned before it is too late - we can't all be like Jay Leno!), so perhaps he wants to be confident that, when the time comes for a change, he will not have a problem selling.

the interior color is the one you'll be seeing lots more of than the exterior awhile you drive
A very good point, which so many people seem to forget!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
In fairness to 456, Seth, he may not intend to keep his 550 forever (although once he buys it, he may change his mind!), but to enjoy it for a year or two and then move on (maybe to another Ferrari, maybe to something completely different:

Certainly could be, John, good point. I rather think, however, that most folks who start with that thought are not contemplating collecting Ferrari "experiences" with a variety of cars, but are genuinely thinking of the 'investment' side of buying a Ferrari - will I lose money.

Oddly, now I think of it, when I talked to my mom about possibly buying the 365GTC special that was my first Ferrari - bear in mind that she was an experienced businesswoman who had been an investment advisor - the second question she posed after asking if I could afford it, was: if you want to sell it a year or two from now will you lose a lot of money? :cry3:

141 - 160 of 187 Posts