Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Ferrari afficcionados,

I have a dilema in regards to leaving my battery on or off, since I only use my car (F355) once a week.

Some people told me that it is better to turn off the battery switch button if I am not going to use the car in 5 days...; and some other people told me that is not that great for the "electrical health" of the car to "reset" the electrical circuits that often.

What is the best approach in your opinion???

Thank you ahead of time for the input.

Wendler.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I drive every Sunday...Mine stays ON. Never been an issue. If your leaving it for a longer period, thats differant. I don't have a feel for whats "best for the car" but it seems to me the disconnect is added for purposes other than what we use it for.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Have you considered using a trickle charger or battery conditioner when the car is not in use? My old 328 went from Sept 07 to March 08 in storage using a conditioner and fired up first time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello again and thank you for the replies.

By the way, how do I go about buying/ installing a "trickle charger" or "battery conditioner"???? This is the first time I hear about it... .

Thanks again.

Wendler

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Pete put one in his 308 some time back. Here's the link to that thread in the workshop section. The trickle chargers and maintainers are near critical for the older models but less important on the newer ones. Still, not a bad idea. You NEVER want to be in the position of Jump starting one of these babies. Voltage surges cause all kinds of issues. From that perspective, a maintainer is cheap easy insurance against problems.

Good luck

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7744

·
Registered
5 Posts
I leave my cars for 4-5 months at a time unattended. I disconnect the battery and do not use a charger. Upon my return and reconnecting the batt, the cars start instantly. The batteries won't lose enough charge to matter over that period of time IF they are disconnected. Been doing this for years.

Not saying you shouldn't use a charger, just that it's not necessary for a few months of down time.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
---What is the best approach in your opinion???---

Wendler,

Leave the battery on and get a tender. Keeps the ECU up to date.

Use trailer hitch rubber style connectors so you can easily connect/disconnect the battery tender. Connect directly to the battery and put the connector in an accessible location.

Best way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts