Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw yesterdays edition of Barret-Jackson car search. He profiled the 308. He said you should avoid 80-82 308's because they burned oil and they
were low horse powered. He also mentioned that if you were to buy an 80-82
that you should buy one that had been modified to remedy the oil burning problem. Having just puchasing an 81, I need to know what modifications he was talking about.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I believe that during this period in the 308's development, a number of cars experienced oil buring problems due to a piston ring problem. I'm still looking for the written information that I have, but can't find at this time.

This is one reason that complete and verifable service records are so important to the purchaser of a Ferrari ... some cars were probably repaired under warranty or independently, some not. You may wish to have the car and its records inspected by an expert and have the cylinders tested prior to purchase.

Best wishes

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I wasn't aware of any oil burning problems. I did know about the low horsepower (about 50hp less than a '79). The trade off for the lower horsepower is the increased reliability and driveability of electronic ignition and fuel injection.

I wouldn't worry about it. Check the oil frequently and see if it is using any. Burning off a quart every 3,000 miles is normal for any car. Do you know the proper way to check the oil in your 308?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here is some additional information that may help us understand the "oil consumption" tendency of some of the 80-82 308's, whcih models may be effected ... etc.

Click here: Rate of Consumption

It might be interesting to hear from members who own 308's of the questioned vintage to see what their oil comsumption might be at a given mileage.

Best wishes

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Excellent link! I haven't noticed any unusual oil consumption on my '79, I thought they used the exact same engine components on the '80, just removed the carbs and bolted on the fuel injection.

At any rate, I still wouldn't worry about it. If it runs good keep running it and if it uses oil, keep putting oil to it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The oil consumption problems of these 1980-82 car also had to do with the early FI systems which required engine temperatures to be brought up quickly to achieve appropriate emissions values. The high idle system which kept RPMs up in the cold engine was the culprit and the piston rings wore prematurely.

Barry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts