Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I am currently looking to get into a Ferrari in the up coming year. I was wondering, what is the average mileage you put on your Ferrari per year? I plan on purchasing a 328 or a 348 in the near future and want to get idea of how much most of the cars are driven. I plan on putting about 300 miles a month on the car when I do purchase it. Do anyone think that either of these cars will hold up to this kind of mileage or do I need to look into a different model.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I am currently looking to get into a Ferrari in the up coming year. I was wondering, what is the average mileage you put on your Ferrari per year? I plan on purchasing a 328 or a 348 in the near future and want to get idea of how much most of the cars are driven. I plan on putting about 300 miles a month on the car when I do purchase it. Do anyone think that either of these cars will hold up to this kind of mileage or do I need to look into a different model.
1st Welcome,

I speak with 1st hand knowledge, the 328 has bomb proof mechanicals and can be worked on with the engine in place, 300 miles a month will be nothing to the right car, (Well maintained). The 348 on the other hand is awful...terrible handling, questionable & dated styling, rough and underpowered engine, poor interior etc, etc...

As for other owner's mileage, this will vary wildly, not only from owner to owner, but country to country, and season to season... I average 5000 Ferrari mile a year, just 10% of my average mls a year in total in cars.

Good luck in your search,

Argento

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
As long as you are able and willing to maintain these cars, you can put as many miles as you wish.:)

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Welcome,

Yes the 328 will be able to go 300 miles a week (and more) without any problems. How many miles you put on the car will vary from owner to owner. In a nice climate like California or Florida you are likely to put more miles on. I would agree with Argento, the 348 would not be my first choice and I'd opt for the 328 over it.

I hope you find that perfect 328.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am really torn between the 2, I like the styling of the 348. However, I have heard alot of good things about the reliability of the 328. I would consider the 355 but it is out of my price range. So I am torn between the issues of styling and reliability.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Yes both will take that kind of mileage and much, much more.

Well first thing, outside looks are incredible and I did lots of homework on both the 328 and the late model 348 because I’m in the same situation as you. I spent almost a year looking into the 328 and yes, it’s bulletproof and can be worked on without removing the engine. And then switched to the 1990+ 348 and did about 6 months homework on them.

But looks and power means a lot to me and being only 270 bhp doesn’t. Also the interior of the 328 is getting old to look at. The console stops and does not connect to the dash and that is something that bothers me a little.

The 348 interior and the side strakes running along the doors remind me of the Testarossa. I love the TR so I fell in love with the 348 Berlinetta instantly. Yes the price of a 355 is a little higher and the car is a lot better but it doesn’t have the strakes and the engine symphony is not as aggressive as the 348 and I like noise.

I have spoken to many 348 owners and they all love it, and it is reliable (if you take care of it of course). The more you drive it the better it is. Now some people say it doesn’t handle but they are talking about pushing the car to its full potential. As far as styling, to each his own, the 512 Boxer has lots of power/performance but as far as looks, can’t stand it inside and out. So you see all is questionable.

Personally I’m going to stick to a post 1990 a 348 Berlinetta or GTB

~

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't plan on ever tracking the car so the handling should not be a problem for me. My wife just wants something to take out on the weekends to cruise in and I want something I can take out after work as "stress relief" and a weekend cruiser. I am very meticulous about my cars so either would be very well maintained. I am wondering how much of the maintenance could I do myself. I guess I need to take a ride over to Houston and look at a couple at a dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
To get some sort of maintenance cost and mileage attached to it you can visit Eugenio’s web site. Here is the info from the site. I strongly recommend read as much as you can to get an idea of how great it can be to own a Ferrari without getting a second mortgage….hahaha!!!!!!

http://emelbon.tripod.com/eugeniosferrariservice.html

PRICE SHEET

(All prices are approximations; prices include appropriate parts and labor)

*15,000 mile (348's and Mondial t's are $1495.00 & F355's are $1995.00 due to parts cost and added labor)

{Documentation of every service comes complete with full write-up, pictures, and receipts for your records}

-Replace Spark Plugs (NGK or Bosch)
-Change Oil and install new Filter
-Replace Air Filter
-Change Transaxle Gear Fluid
-Replace Fuel Filter(s)
-Bleed Brake Lines
-Replace Coolant
-Replace A/C Belt
-Replace Alternator Belt
-Replace Water Pump Belt
-Check Lambda System
-Check Fuel Injection System
-Check Air Conditioning System (possibly pressures)
-Inspect Distributor Caps / Rotors / Ignition Wires
-Inspect all Bulbs
-Inspect all Motors
-Pressurize Coolant System (check for leaks, replace hose(s) if necessary)
-Check CV Boots
-Thorough Inspection of entire car

*30,000 mile (MAJOR) (348's are $3995.00, Mondial t's are $4995.00, and F355's are $5575.00 due to parts cost, engine removal, etc.)

{Documentation of every Major Service comes complete with a full write-up, pictures, and all receipts for your records}

-Replace Spark Plugs (NGK or Bosch)
-Replace Timing Belts and Tensioner Bearings
-Replace Cam Seals and Housing O-Rings
-Replace Valve Cover Gaskets
-Replace Distributor Seals and Housing Gaskets
-Replace Distributor Cap Gaskets
-Replace Cam End Cover Gaskets
-Replace Air Filter
-Replace Fuel Filter(s)
-Replace A/C Belt
-Replace Alternator / Water Pump Belt
-Adjust Valves (where applicable)
-Torque Cam Journals
-Torque Heads (check only)
-Set Timing
-Bleed Brake Lines
-Change Oil and New Filter
-Change Transaxle Gear Fluid
-Replace Coolant
-Inspection/Service of Air Conditioning System (recharge "R12" extra on 308's/348's but "R134" is included on F355's)
-Inspect all Lines (fuel, oil, water) and replace if necessary (extra charge for parts)
-Check of Lambda System and Bosch Fuel Injection System (make adjustments if necessary)
-Clean Engine Compartment
-Pressurize Coolant System, check for leaks
-Inspect CV Boots
-Inspect Fuse Panel
-Inspect Tires / Adj. Tire pressure

{The items below are inspected and advised to the customer at no charge. If any item(s) require service, the customer will be advised of the cost.

-Inspect Water Pump
-Inspect all Seals (shift shaft, main, timing gear assy)
-Inspect Ignition Wires / Caps / Rotors
-Inspect all Bulbs, Lights, Electrical Motors
-Inspect Clutch Pedal play (adjustment setting if necessary)
-Inspect all Suspension Bushings / Connections
-Inspect all Exhaust Joints / Connections for leaks
-Inspect Brake Pads and Discs
-Inspect Wheel Bearings

~

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that site. My wife was laughing, she said I spend way more than that on my Vette. She said maybe I should have bought a Ferrari in the first place, esp. with all the "funds" I have put into my Vette. Thanks again for the site.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have looked at a couple of Testarossas. I think that it is just slightly out of my price range. I am selling my Vette to get into the Ferrari. I really do not want to spend more than about $55k. I have found a few 348's in this price range. I don't want to over extend myself financially with a car, still saving to start my own company in the next few years. Maybe later in the future I will look to get somthing nicer.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Yes the price of a 355 is a little higher and the car is a lot better but it doesn’t have the strakes and the engine symphony is not as aggressive as the 348 and I like noise.
Certainly a first and a subjective topic for sure. I'll just have to chime in and say in my humble opinion the F355 is one of the best sounding Ferraris today.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Certainly a first and a subjective topic for sure. I'll just have to chime in and say in my humble opinion the F355 is one of the best sounding Ferraris today.
I heard the 355 and 348 both with Tubi. The 355 was loud but in a civilized way....but the 348 just screamed like a wild beast......

~

·
Registered
104 Posts
1st Welcome,

I speak with 1st hand knowledge, the 328 has bomb proof mechanicals and can be worked on with the engine in place, 300 miles a month will be nothing to the right car, (Well maintained). The 348 on the other hand is awful...terrible handling, questionable & dated styling, rough and underpowered engine, poor interior etc, etc...

As for other owner's mileage, this will vary wildly, not only from owner to owner, but country to country, and season to season... I average 5000 Ferrari mile a year, just 10% of my average mls a year in total in cars.

Good luck in your search,

Argento
Once you put the crack pipe down and sober up you may be able to make an honest assessment.

I have owned a Mondial8, Mondial t cab, 308QV, 328, TR, 348 and an F40, and I can tell you that they are all very reliable cars and can be driven daily if you choose.......as long as you maintain them and keep on top of the little problems that will eventually arise.

As far as the 348s quality is concerned, it is an improvement over the previous model, as is the drive train. The 348s handling is poor if you are a poor driver....the suspension settings need to be dialed in but it is a great handling car. The power exceeds the previous models by a wide margin. The styling is more modern vs the classic look of the 308/328, and is actually ageing quite well. I suggest that you actually spend time driving all the cars that you are interested in buying. .....and as far as Argento goes........he just needs to lighten up and let the OP get input from real owners of each car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boxer,

Thanks for the site. I had already figured on soending around $3k a year on maintenance and up keep. This may be a little high considering the milage I would actually be putting on this vehicle. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a quick note on expenses in case you haven't bought a car yet. Never underestimate the costs of the "little" things. For example, I just replaced a hydrolic piston (tiny thing) for my convertible top on a 2003 360 spider (2900 miles). Cost with parts and labor was $1900.

The little things will eat you up if you don't have a nicely padded wallet so be prepared.

Another thing to think of is: time spent in the shop. Some things take much longer than others. The basic maint. stuff can be done pretty quick, but those "little" things can take awhile since it takes a long time to get the parts sometimes.

Hope that helps.

PS: If I were you and have $55K to spend, I would save just a little tiny bit more and buy the F355.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I plan on purchasing a 328 or a 348 in the near future and want to get idea of how much most of the cars are driven. I plan on putting about 300 miles a month on the car when I do purchase it. Do anyone think that either of these cars will hold up to this kind of mileage or do I need to look into a different model.
500 miles a month on my 3.2 Mondial Cab. No problem once you start driving it regularly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey thanks for posting all the service info!

I would imagine like ALL cars, Ferrari wouldnt be any different that, Driving them is better for them than sitting. E.g. a car ran regularly on the highway is really the best thing for it. Then everything is routine maintnence. If you let it sit too long and try to drive like you would a normal car, I would imagine thats when the expensive problems would happen.

Im not trying to say this is a fact in every case, but just a general rule with ALL cars :)

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Personally from what I have been reading, I have come to the conclusion (my opinion) that if a Ferrari gets approximately 300-500 Kms per month, used regularly, that the cars would have less to almost any problems. These cars sit for weeks sometimes months at a time and people think once the engine temp is up, yeehaaa lets go…well it’s doesn’t always work that way whether it’s a Ferrari, Porsche or a classic Mustang…

I have a 2001 Honda Foreman ATV that I bought new and I only use it in the winter to plow my driveway (can park 8 cars) and the 1st and 2nd year snow was unbelievable, every two days I was out plowing. The last 2 years we had less snow and was only out maybe once a week sometimes less. In those last 2 years I have had issues with it, seized brakes, harder to start when not run for over a week or so, not as peppy when gunning the gas, and I do a tune up every 6 months. Well one day last year I rode it almost 6 hours. Two weeks later she started up like it was new again. It’s 6 years old now and I just broke 700km’s on it. So this is why I’m thinking this…

But hey what do I know…

Any thoughts ?

~

1 - 20 of 23 Posts