Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellow ferrari lovers. i am very new to this forum and i wanted to get some advice from some of the owners out there before i go spend my hard earned money on a used ferrari. i recently sold my 2007 z06 corvette to a friend and my company is doing well so i wanted to finally get my dream car. i wanted a 360 spider and have found a few for 100k to 125k but i recently saw that the 430 prices are falling fast to where i can afford them. i can only afford a coupe model in the 430. i have talked to a few dealers that have them for sale for 145-160k. but they have a few miles on them for a ferrari.like 11-15k in miles. they all say the service has been done and they are good to go. but before i buy i wanted to ask about the maint. and cost of them both. i actually drive all my cars and this car will not be a gargage queen. it will be driven maybe 3-4 times a week. maybe 125 miles a week or so. so i want to get the most bang for my buck and i dont want the maint. to destroy the fun of owning this great machine. please help me out with this decision so i dont make a 125k mistake using it as a daily driver. i have gotten mixed answers from dealers. oh and i also perfer a 6 speed over the f1 shifter. i have heard 6 speed are better daily drivers. but i could be wrong. thanks for any vaulable help you guys can give me

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Ferrari's require maintenance. There is no shortcut. Figure a few grand a year as an average. The more you drive them the more you will require maintenance.

Oil changes should be done yearly minimum. they run about $400.00.

360's use timing belts; 430's use timing chains. Chains don't require replacement as do belts.

They are fairly similar cars but 430's have a few advancements but problems as well. 430's are having differential issues as well as header failures. If not done under warranty this replacement can be a $10K-$12K outlay!

360's are fabulous cars and I'd encourage you to look at those first. They are reliable and you can do nice upgrades.

430's are nice as well.

I'd look for a 6 speed cause clutch life with f1's is not great and clutch replacements are around $6K!

Let me know what else you'd like to know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info Gcalo . i didnt know of the issue with the 430's headers or diffs, i wonder if i can find out if it has been done already. the ferrari f430 i was thinking of buying is in california so i have only talked to them about it over the phone. i will be sure to ask him that tomoorrow. the car is offered at a great price only if its in good working order. which i can only take the dealers word for it. but i may take your advice and just get the 360 spyder. there is one within 20 miles of my location for 103k its a 2002. but i really didnt want a yellow car and its a f1 shifter.i wanted silver or red. but the miles are low for a 2002.(11,547) this is a very tough decision. i dont want to regret passing on the 430. but i dont want to pay more then 2000-3000 a year in maint. i have a friend that has a 2000 360 and he says he only spends about a 1200 a year in maint. and his car is pushing 38,000 miles. and it seems to run very strong.
Welcome to the forum.

Ferrari's require maintenance. There is no shortcut. Figure a few grand a year as an average. The more you drive them the more you will require maintenance.

Oil changes should be done yearly minimum. they run about $400.00.

360's use timing belts; 430's use timing chains. Chains don't require replacement as do belts.

They are fairly similar cars but 430's have a few advancements but problems as well. 430's are having differential issues as well as header failures. If not done under warranty this replacement can be a $10K-$12K outlay!

360's are fabulous cars and I'd encourage you to look at those first. They are reliable and you can do nice upgrades.

430's are nice as well.

I'd look for a 6 speed cause clutch life with f1's is not great and clutch replacements are around $6K!

Let me know what else you'd like to know.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
If that 360 is not what you want don't buy it. Take your time because you can make big mistakes when you rush! Color becomes a personal choice. If yellow is not for you, don't!

Who is the dealer in Calif? Don't believe everything you are told either.

You need to know which services have been done and when.

Let me affirm that when it comes to maintenance on a Ferrari you can't dictate maintenance costs. You must do what's required, and then there are the unexpected expenses!

One more time. be patienet. there are tons for sale everywhere.

You can check www.sportscarcompany.com. He's a straight guy and I know him well. cars are everywhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey Gcalo what is the clucth life on a 6 speed or it depends on the driver. i am a pretty good driver. and i dont really do alot of excessive speeding. just your occasional getting on the interstate accelerating ..around town my driving is pretty normal. i never changed the clutch in my z06 but its a chevy and not a ferrari.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
F1's seem to go from 5K to 10K miles.

6 speeds can go a very long time if the T/O bearing does not cause a problem. Ferrari T/O bearings are not great.

A Ferrari is a very different car from a Corvette. This is why I say to take your time to learn everything about the cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks ..all of what you are saying makes good since . i really dont want to settle when i am spending so much. i am just ready to get my dream car before my better half changes her mind on letting me get one lol. the car dealer that i was working with is actually on ebay. its jakesmotors. i have been looking for 360's and 430's for a while. but i could not afford the 200k for the 430. over the last few months i seen a drasitic fall in the prices for a 430. and there are a few that are in my 158k budget. i offered 135k for his 2005 f430 and they seem ready to do the deal. but i am worried about the care of the car. it looks just fine and they have the paper work for the 15k service.but i have watched this car fall in price over a month it started at 153k and it is now at 139k. makes me wonder if they just need to sale it and get out of it or is there something up with the car . here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars...id=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:7|39:1|240:1308
If that 360 is not what you want don't buy it. Take your time because you can make big mistakes when you rush! Color becomes a personal choice. If yellow is not for you, don't!

Who is the dealer in Calif? Don't believe everything you are told either.

You need to know which services have been done and when.

Let me affirm that when it comes to maintenance on a Ferrari you can't dictate maintenance costs. You must do what's required, and then there are the unexpected expenses!

One more time. be patienet. there are tons for sale everywhere.

You can check www.sportscarcompany.com. He's a straight guy and I know him well. cars are everywhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
makes since to go with the manual 6 speed and hope for the best instead of the higher priced f1 shifter. my friend that has a 360 told me he has only changed the clutch once since owning the car. and his is a 6 speed.i prefer to shift over pressing levers, but my wife does drive from time to time. and her stick skills are very limited. she has been to the dealer with me and keeps leaning me toward a f1 shifter but she has no idea of the cost of maint. i think i am going to take your advice and wait for the right deal. i thought of flying out to cali to check out the car i wanted. but i dont think it would make much difference cause i dont know much about ferrari's. i dont want to fly out there just to take a test drive. besides the reciept of service is there a way to tell if the 15k service has been done
F1's seem to go from 5K to 10K miles.

6 speeds can go a very long time if the T/O bearing does not cause a problem. Ferrari T/O bearings are not great.

A Ferrari is a very different car from a Corvette. This is why I say to take your time to learn everything about the cars.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Looks like a nice car.

I'd contact Gary Bobilief at: http://www.bobileff.com/

Have him look at the car. He'll charge a few hundred or so but it will be worth it. He's experienced and very trusted in the Ferrari community.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks buddy i actually will do that. this is the type of info and connections i was looking for here. i dont mind spending a few hundred on a 135k investment. i beats me paying a few hundred for a plane ticket just to stare at the car and drive it. still not knowing if its gonna be a good buy for the future. thanks again Gcalo.
Looks like a nice car.

I'd contact Gary Bobilief at: http://www.bobileff.com/

Have him look at the car. He'll charge a few hundred or so but it will be worth it. He's experienced and very trusted in the Ferrari community.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
A comment on miles: 11 - 15k is not a lot for a Ferrari, at least not from the car's point of view. What Americans think is high mileage, Europeans think is barely run in. 10k miles a year is no problem at all for a modern Ferrari, and even for old ones if they're cared for properly.

It's good to hunt for a Ferrari that has had some decent use in the last two years - the kinks will have been ironed out. Ferraris do not like standing still.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Mileage makes little difference in a Ferrari to me.

If services are regularly done the mileage does not affect the car.

Mine is a 2000 and has 13,680 miles! No problems there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A comment on miles: 11 - 15k is not a lot for a Ferrari, at least not from the car's point of view. What Americans think is high mileage, Europeans think is barely run in. 10k miles a year is no problem at all for a modern Ferrari, and even for old ones if they're cared for properly.

It's good to hunt for a Ferrari that has had some decent use in the last two years - the kinks will have been ironed out. Ferraris do not like standing still.

Onno
i was thinking the same thing. i had a porsche 911 before and it broke more from sitting then it did from driving. when i drove it alot it drove fine and was very responsive. but when i stored it for a few months it broke the same day i drove it. then once i got it serviced it ran just fine. but i really want to drive my investment and get my money out of it. i really dont mind losing some resale value with putting more then average miles on it. i prefer to enjoy while i have it not just look at it in the garage.:thumbsup: and gcalo you really take good care of your car it has less miles on it then the 2005 i am looking at. you got the color i wanted for a 360 if i decide to go the 360 route. great looking car. i soon hope to be a owner like you and the others on here. thanks again for the advice guys. keep it coming if you have more

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Mileage makes little difference in a Ferrari to me.

If services are regularly done the mileage does not affect the car.

Mine is a 2000 and has 13,680 miles! No problems there.
The main issue is if the car has been standing still without driving at all for a long period. A couple of months is fine, but a year or two is not good. The older the car, the more issues that gives. My 365 did 1,500 miles in the 18 years before I bought it. It was not happy to be woken up! But even on a new Ferrari, if it's been driven a 100 miles in 3 years, I'd walk away.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The main issue is if the car has been standing still without driving at all for a long period. A couple of months is fine, but a year or two is not good. The older the car, the more issues that gives. My 365 did 1,500 miles in the 18 years before I bought it. It was not happy to be woken up! But even on a new Ferrari, if it's been driven a 100 miles in 3 years, I'd walk away.

Onno
makes since what you are saying. i have seen a few 2006 ferrari 430's i was looking at with like 300 miles -900 miles on them . i would prefer to buy one with more miles cause it seems to have been working good to get the owner up to 10-15k in miles. and since i am looking for a daily driver more miles probably makes more since for me. i am close to getting the 2005 430 i posted a link to . i am going to have that gary guy do a inspection hopefully next week and if it all pans out i will be a new ferrari owner. well a used ferrari owner lol but it will be new to me :thumbsup: thanks for the advice. i probably should hold out for a 6 speed. but i cant find any at a good price. so i am going to just go with the f1 shifter and hope for the best on the clutch wear

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
besides the reciept of service is there a way to tell if the 15k service has been done
If the service was done at an official Ferrari dealer, then with the chassis number any dealer on the network should be able to check and tell you what work was done.

another place to look is www.ferraris-online.com run by Mike Sheehan.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
since the 430's are coming down in price and the 360's too, and with the 5-valve on the 360's being more problematic etc. etc. wouldn't the 430 be the better buy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
since the 430's are coming down in price and the 360's too, and with the 5-valve on the 360's being more problematic etc. etc. wouldn't the 430 be the better buy.
well i wanted a 430 but i cant find a 430 6 speed to save my life in my price range. i found a pretty nice one. but the inspection didnt pan out. i didnt know the 360 had valve issues. i really dont kno much about them ... i have been reading up on them and trying to gain knowledge on them ... but i get conflicting info. i have found some 360's in the 80k range and some are spyders. i like the price alot but scared of the lack of knowledge i have on the vehicles. i have gotten great help on here from a few people. i decided to do what gcalo said and take my time and make the right choice the first time around. i figure either way i cant go wrong. i just dont want a maint. nightmare. i just want to be a proud ferrari owner.:thumbsup:

360's dont have any problematic valve issues. They are bullet proofed.
glad you told me that. good info again. i have seen the 360's fall real low on the price. i wanted a 430 spyder but i they are alittle out of the budget. i can get a 2003 spyder for 89 grand in florida. so a 360 my have to do for now. i believe i will be just as happy with the 360 :steeringwheel::thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
The 360 is a very reliable vehicle.

What scares me about the 430 is not only the F1 but that "E" differential.

It could be tricky and a problem long term.

I don't like electronic gizmo's. prime example is the A/C system in the 360 and 430's.

I would prefer to have a separate mechanical heat and A/C. I don't like climate controls. they never work right!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts