Ferrari Life Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently noticed how prices of the 360s and 430s have plummetted from a year ago. I am grateful I did not buy a 2007 430 Spider from Lake Forest Sports Cars which the salesman was adamant on getting $50K over sticker northwards of $300K. I have seen 2007 430 Spiders sell for less than $165k recently and 360 Spiders nearing $100K. I purchased my 2003 360 Spider for $170K a little over a year ago. I recently sold my 2005 Porsche Carrera GT and 1992 Ferrari F40 and 2006 Ford GT. I would love to get those cars back if prices continue to plummet. What do you think about where the values of these cars will be headed to?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Markets for "want" items are alwys subject to wild fluctuations.

There is panic selling right now which will change by the Spring, and as Ferrari feels the market chances are they will reduce production which will restore 360/430 values a bit.

This has happened before; it will happen again.

The "got to have it" crowd went overboard this time, and now they are feeling the pain.

Silicon Vally Auto Group sold a 599 about a year ago for nearly $200K over it's list price, and it came to them from the secondary market! That price is insane.

Stick around. It will level off.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Markets for "want" items are alwys subject to wild fluctuations.

There is panic selling right now which will change by the Spring, and as Ferrari feels the market chances are they will reduce production which will restore 360/430 values a bit.

This has happened before; it will happen again.

The "got to have it" crowd went overboard this time, and now they are feeling the pain.

Silicon Vally Auto Group sold a 599 about a year ago for nearly $200K over it's list price, and it came to them from the secondary market! That price is insane.

Stick around. It will level off.
Do you recall the previous exotic car panic? I heard F40s dropped to a low of $225K and Lussos were trading $50K to $100K.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ferraris' are generally seen as "investment items"...and just like the stock market, they're subject to highs and lows. Especially with the big eco craze, you'll see them dip a bit further I'd suspect.

If you have the ability to track market prices, you'll generally see a rise and dip about every ten years for Ferraris.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Ferraris' are generally seen as "investment items"...and just like the stock market, they're subject to highs and lows. Especially with the big eco craze, you'll see them dip a bit further I'd suspect.

If you have the ability to track market prices, you'll generally see a rise and dip about every ten years for Ferraris.
With maintenance cost of $6k - $10k annually you can hardly say they are investments. I want to say the oil change on an F430 is $600!

Of course when it comes to 250s, and the old cars you can certainly car these investments, they are like moving art.

·
Registered
300 Posts
With maintenance cost of $6k - $10k annually you can hardly say they are investments. I want to say the oil change on an F430 is $600!

Of course when it comes to 250s, and the old cars you can certainly car these investments, they are like moving art.
Well said Andrew! Because we own Ferrari's that why we like to think is an investment anyway thats what we tell our miss right? Maintenance insurance license fee for sure is not an investment, unless yeah 250's F40's etc, otherwise cash is still king!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whether its a Ferrari, Hemi Cuda, Lamborghini Countach Perioscopa, it is very easy to manipulate the market with such a thinly produced vehicle. As an example, there are only 350 Ferrari Lussos produced in the sixties. Good PR and getting the owners together to band together and form a monopoly, it would be easy to inflate the price of that car to over one million. Same goes with the Miura, Perioscopa, 288GTO, Enzo, 275GTB, and others. How do you justify a 246 GTS Dino trading at $50K and all of a sudden, the cars are north of $200K. Well, I purchased one at over $200K and is currently getting restored. Boxers were trading at $50K for the longest time and now it is close to $200K. Testarossas were always trading around $65K and still is.
F40s were as high as one million and as low as $225K. Why are Enzos trading twice if not three times its orignial MSRP still? I think the Lamborghini Murcielagos are the best cars in this planet and I own three of them. For me, the Murcis are worth every penny and the LP that I own is probably down over $150K in value from what I have paid for it but to me, I have no regrets. I purchased my Murci Roadster for $335K a little over a year ago and now its probably worth less than $250K whereas an Enzo is worth over a million. I would pick the Murci Roadster over the Enzo without hesitation. I really find the exotic collection hobby intriguing and I guess you can call it as an investment for you to justify spending the kind of money these cars demand if it makes you feel better. I know if the F40 and the Carrera GT drops below $300K, I will get the money to purchase both no matter what and will justify spending the money for an investment in both of the above cars. Same with the F50, 288GTO, and Enzo. If those cars fall below $500K, I will be an INVESTOR in them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
With little or no experience in the car investment market I would make the following observations.

Cars are like houses, and on a resale basis are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Today in the curent climate prices are not so much tanking, because very few are buying. However with the currency exchange changes and stock market levels some people are very illiquid, and as such will let go of some items at very low prices. Market Capitulation. Sell at any price, you need the cash, and the market is only going to go lower!!!

That would then suggest that if you are liquid (got cash) and don't need a short term return, there may be oppourtunities to aquire cars at greatly reduced levels, meaning you can enjoy driving them for years, while you wait for your asset values to grow.

One local garage had a 4yr old 612 (I keep a cursory eye on their prices) with a window price of 176k Euros, it sold for a lot less than that (alot lot less), but it was the only car he sold in 4 weeks.

It only has monetry value if someone wants it more than you. And when the markets return, and exchange rates swing again, someone might have become very rich and want if far far more that what you paid for it.

But aren't you really just using the investment angle as an excuse for buying and collecting some really great cars?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I think it really depends what the model is, desireability, production numbers, race pedigree ...etc. I bet GTO's would still fetch crazy money if they changed hands.

Enzo in the UK that was for sale for 9 months at £800K is now £850K

·
Registered
453 Posts
I take it the original thread's question is rhetorical.

Look at the economy. It's in the toilet. There is rampant deflation everywhere.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you recall the previous exotic car panic? I heard F40s dropped to a low of $225K and Lussos were trading $50K to $100K.
Lowest I recall seeing F40s drop to was about $290K. As for Lussos, the lowest I recall might have been 125-150K. I think 50-100K for a Lusso was well before the exotic car bubble burst in early 1990.

If you look back far enought you will notice all sorts of highs and lows in the market...in the early 1980s a 246GT Dino could be had for in the mid 20s and a GTS was around $40-$45K, 250GTe 2+2 and 330GT 2+2 were around 20K, and a Daytona coupe was in the low 60s. Values on all of these cars went for quite a roller coaster ride in the late 80's and early 90s.

Best regards,
Dino

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got presented with a 2006 430 Coupe 6 Speed for $130K. Seems like the prices of the 430s are getting closer to 360 prices. 355 Spider prices seems to have stabilized at $75K.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Any automotive investment other than the everday car is a chunk of change.

Add to that astronomical pricing which makes the car more in demand to those who can afford them, and you have an inflated market.

And as Andrew pointed out there are maintenance costs which are absurdly priced.

360/430 oil changes usually go $400-$450.

I don't see any cars as investments save a few rare (production under 500) models.

Invest the $ in CD's. Wachovia and Wells have 5% CD's now.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I have recently noticed how prices of the 360s and 430s have plummetted from a year ago. I am grateful I did not buy a 2007 430 Spider from Lake Forest Sports Cars which the salesman was adamant on getting $50K over sticker northwards of $300K. I have seen 2007 430 Spiders sell for less than $165k recently and 360 Spiders nearing $100K. I purchased my 2003 360 Spider for $170K a little over a year ago. I recently sold my 2005 Porsche Carrera GT and 1992 Ferrari F40 and 2006 Ford GT. I would love to get those cars back if prices continue to plummet. What do you think about where the values of these cars will be headed to?
From what I have seen, the recent models (last 10 years) are dropping as many owners financed cars that they can no long afford and therefore have to get out of. Prices on the F40, F50, 288 GTOs, Daytonas, Lussos have gone down a bit on a few sales where again I believe the seller was under pressure. Doubt this will continue much into next year. These are all still rare cars that will always be in demand. That having been said, I think the first group still has a ways to go in a southernly direction. Prices on 308/328s and TRs seem very stable.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I would say it's more than just the financing. I think it's just part of the many and multiple oppulent purchases many made w/o concern for the future.

I know a person who had 4 high end cars on lease including a barnd new Bentley Cont GT Convertible. His monthly lease obligation for all 4 was in excess of $8K!

The current situation will hurt for a while but fortunately Ferrari does not bulid the # of cars that the others do, and I would suspect the market will reverse w/in the next year to year and one half.

And I do not think it will be as bad as it was in the late 80's-early 90's when the bottom just dropped away.

There are always people who want to buy Ferrari's. So I would guess the turn will take place but the days of $50K-$100K over sticker are definitely long gone.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
--- I am grateful I did not buy a 2007 430 Spider from Lake Forest Sports Cars which the salesman was adamant on getting $50K over sticker northwards of $300K.---
You were smart! Who in his right mind needs something so badly to pay that kind of premium?

The first question that always comes to my mind under those circumstances is where does that $ come from?

It's all about values.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Economics 101 - Supply and demand.

Has anyone tested the window ticket price recently to see how far they will move, as we are still seeing big ticket prices - but the cars are all still in the showrooms.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
The Los Angeles Auto Show is now on, and I understand that the California is getting a luke warm reception.

I also understand from a local dealer that the first year's allocation "may" be sold out but there are possibly slots!

I bet they fear a few cancellations.

For sure there will be somewhat of a weakening of demand, but that weakness never seems to last long with Ferrari's.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just saw a feature on Ferrari main dealer in Hong Kong while watching Bloomberg late Sunday night.

This weekend they opened on Saturday and Sunday with offers of upto 40% off. Of 150 cars, 21 were bought. The only price they quoted was a F430 which went for 2.1million HK$, was £2.5m HK$. I believe this was for a new car.

Too late to work that out right now, and I do not know about their tax and duties, but is this a sign off things to come.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.