Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a kid the 365/512 Boxer's were my dream cars, I've always dreamed of owning one, and who knows, maybe one day?
I've been watching prices for a couple of years, reading buyers guides, reviews, owners comments (inc our forum members experiences), and it seems that Boxers are just not a desirable as other 12 cylinder Ferrari's.
In the UK/Europe £50000 GBP or €75000 should be enough to get a good 512 BB.
The Boxer's predecessor, the Daytona's now have prices upwards of £150K GBP, does anyone feel that it's only a matter of time before Boxer's values start to creep up and catch the earlier 12 cylinder cars?
Or are they best avoided, and should one consider the TR/512TR/512M or 550 as a better longer term investment and cheaper car to maintain?
I might add, that driver enjoyment, fulfilling a childhood dream and not investment potential is my primary goal, but at the same time I don't want to spend money keeping a car on the road (and probably a lot:eek: ) and not see it appreciate in value.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Four comments:

1. RHD Boxers seem to trail LHD Boxers ini terms of price.

2. In terms of investment, the 365 BB is rated much more highly than the 512BBs

3. All the Guides I have seen rate Boxers ahead of TRs as investments

4. The 550 is still a depreciating used car, it has no investment potential at this point. Any investment potential it does have will not be know for another 10 years.

and it all depends on when you buy, I had my 512 BB for 2 1/2 years and sold it last year for GBP 15-20k more than I paid. During this period I put about GBP 5k into it.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boxer, much appreciated:) You are probably the authority on Boxer's, and your comments are very helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally I see the 365/512BB making 10-20pc pa. 2 years ago you'd get either of them for 35-40K, now it's more like 60-70K (if you see one for 50K let me know cos I haven't!) and european cars are no cheaper. Don't know what they drive like but they look fantastic, especially the way the body opens up to show the guts of it. I rate them highly but I think I've missed the boat on price. If you've got the cash, buy one!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's very hard to find one for sale in the UK at the moment. I keep searching the usual websites and have only found one at Rardley's and they want £80K for it, I think it's a bit top heavy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,

watching the market, I'd say that a 512 BB at least won't depreciate.

I got the impression that prices have gone up during the past years, at least here in Germany.

Always my best,

John

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Hi,

watching the market, I'd say that a 512 BB at least won't depreciate.

I got the impression that prices have gone up during the past years, at least here in Germany.

Always my best,

John
Agree, Boxer are well passed the era of depreciation. Traditionally they have traded at about 50-60% of the Daytona's price. As Daytona's are now hovering around US $300k, $150k is about right for a Boxer today. This is up amlost 100% in the last 2-3 years. The 365 BB's will command a premium of 20-25% over the 512 BBs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are several cars I wished I had buyed during the past years, including a Porsche 928 S4 (but chose a silver 528iA instead because I wanted a "new" car....was a mistake)

Neverthess, I think appreciation is one among the worst reasons to buy a car...

I saw a 365 BB at the dealer I visited yesterday at 89k€. You may find it on

http://home.mobile.de/SIDRP7n3sbwjJ...&language=de&sr_qual=EGN&id=11111111276950664

I'm no BB expert, but I'd say it is in a good condition with complete records, with 78.000km on the clock it's been a driver's car. The Koenig Body Kit is rare and advertised to be removable (so you can turn it into a normal BB, though I'd keep it the way it is).

I think this car has some potential as it is a rare 70's tuning car.

Always my best,

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi There

Reading this thread with interest - I have also lusted after a Boxer from a very young age, and a month ago I managed to buy one, a black '74 365 Boxer. I bought it from Kent High Performance for a shade under £60k which I think is a fair price considering how they are shooting up in value. If I had had the cash 2 years ago I probably could have found one for about £40k!
What most people are saying is that the 365 should appreciate more (there were very few RHD's) than the 512. It also has a bit more power, is a bit more 'raw', but is not as driver friendly as the 512. I don't think that you could go wrong with a Boxer at the moment - apart from being a joy to drive, they are in my opinion a damn sight prettier than the Daytona!
For what it's worth I would consider the Boxer that is being sold through Rardleys and speak to Mike Wheeler there. I've bought a few cars from there in the past and they are top guys to deal with.

Doug

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Doug, and welcome to the forum. Please let us know how you get on with your Boxer and post some pics if poss.
I've seen Mike Wheelers 512BB on the website, but have been put off by the cost £80K, I personally think it is £25K over priced, but who knows, in another couple of years that could be the going rate.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Here is another one for sale via Mike Sheehan:

1974 Ferrari 365 GT4/BB Serial Number 18201

We are pleased to offer 1974 Ferrari 365 GT4/BB s/n 18201. The 225th of only 387 Ferrari 365 GT4/BBs built. Because this 365 GT4/BB is now thirty–three years old, it can be imported into the US or Canada without the dreaded EPA and DOT complications, and can also be imported into multiple other countries at a low customs duty rate because it is over thirty years old. This 365 GT4/BB offers a chance for the enthusiast to own a 365 GT4/BB that will never again endure the EPA’s smog pumps, catalysts, or air injectors, or the DOT’s hideous “safety–bumpers”, or seat belt buzzers. California smog exempt! In Europe, with EEC duty paid.
GT4/BB s/n 18201 has a well documented ownership history from new and has just been treated to a complete repaint in Ferrari’s Rosso Corsa over an excellent original and undamaged body. The “as new” paint is complemented by excellent body gaps and panel fit. 365 GT4/BB s/n 18201 has also just finished an engine–out 30k service with new cam belts, tensioner and a full set of new correct Michelin XWX tires. Has the correct early single piece seats with excellent patina original black leather and an unusually nice original dash. Complete with the jack kit and “thin” spare wheel and tire. The 365 GT4/BB is much more rare, more collectable and faster than a 365 GTB/4 Daytona at half the price at $149,500!
http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/carintro.php?reqcardir=FE-365GT4BB-18201

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Doug, and welcome to the forum. Please let us know how you get on with your Boxer and post some pics if poss.
I've seen Mike Wheelers 512BB on the website, but have been put off by the cost £80K, I personally think it is £25K over priced, but who knows, in another couple of years that could be the going rate.

Hello everyone,
I think Rardley would get close to the 80k if they had the car in stock. I think it's abroad at present according to their site. I'm pretty sure they had a blue BBi up at similar money about 6-8 weeks ago which sold quickly.

The Boxer market has certainly come to life this year (at last) and with only 101 carb 512's and less 365's it will surely continue.
I read somewhere that the UK owners club only knew of 30 still on the roads in the UK (not sure whether that's specifically 365, 512Bb or BBi combined or one model in particular).
Anyway, after 5 years of being laid up, I've had my 512BB recommissioned and have started using again. It certainly put a big smile on my face when I first drove it again after such a long time.

1 - 20 of 244 Posts