Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in the market for my first Ferrari, and after driving a few had decided that I should probably go with a 550 or a 355. I love both cars (although they are completely different animals) and I want something that is at or close to the bottom of its depreciation curve. I've always had a bit of an exotic/antique car habit, which I can only justify to conscience by buying cars that I can resell later for somewhere in the ballpark of what what I bought them for.

However, I just saw a very clean looking 1999 456 on Ebay in Pozzi blue/tan with 25K miles and a recent 30K service complete, one owner. The auction ended at 64K with no bids and the buy it now price was $70K. Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&rd=1,1&item=160039703673&ih=006&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

If the market for these cars is already down in the $60's, maybe I should be looking at them? I would think they must be nearly fully depreciated at that price range. Tell if I'm wrong on this, but from what I've seen very well maintained Ferraris of nearly any vintage or model seldom trade for less than $40K.

I know the 456 is not and will never be one of the more desirable models. But getting a nice and fairly new 12 cylinder Ferrari that retailed for over $200K for $65-70 grand? Seems like a bargain, no?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thats a great looking car and a wonderful color combination. I dont think its at the bottom of its curve at all. You're right in saying that the value of any Ferrari will rarely reach below 40k USD if its in decent shape. I expect the 456 will be in the low 50s when it bottoms out.

Other things to consider. This seems to be a great example that might be worth the 64 being asked for it. It is a GTA though ... some people might prefer the GT. Its a really fun car to drive but I havent driven the 550 or 355 so I cant compare them.

Good luck and keep us informed!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even if this car reaches low $50's in a few years, that's only $14K less than now. So that's pretty insignificant compared to the $145K it's depreciated in the past seven years. On the other hand, the much more desirable 550's are now averaging $125K asking price which probably has another 30 to 40 thousand to go in depreciation in the next few years. Of course there's no crystal ball to consult, but if that 456 is legit it does seem to be a relative bargain. Granted it's an automatic, but it's basically the same engine as the 550 right? There's a similar pozzi blue/tan 550 for sale right now with an ask of more than double that price!

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Felonius said:
Even if this car reaches low $50's in a few years, that's only $14K less than now. So that's pretty insignificant compared to the $145K it's depreciated in the past seven years. On the other hand, the much more desirable 550's are now averaging $125K asking price which probably has another 30 to 40 thousand to go in depreciation in the next few years. Of course there's no crystal ball to consult, but if that 456 is legit it does seem to be a relative bargain. Granted it's an automatic, but it's basically the same engine as the 550 right? There's a similar pozzi blue/tan 550 for sale right now with an ask of more than double that price!
Have you taken a look at the updated Buyers Guide on the 456 GT ?

The bottom of the 456 and 550 engines are identical, but the top ends are very different.

On the 456 GT, while the purchase price maybe low, your major risk in in the potential maintenance costs if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Felonius said:
Even if this car reaches low $50's in a few years, that's only $14K less than now. So that's pretty insignificant compared to the $145K it's depreciated in the past seven years.
Exactly. The 64k might be worth the price especially if you dont mind the auto.

·
Registered
509 Posts
That is a beautiful combination. You dont have to say much to me. The 456M, while just a lowly 2+2, has some sentiment to it. It was the first Ferrari I drove. They are fun to drive. Has gobbs of power, really really well balanced. I never got it up to speed but it was never uncomfortable at the speeds I drove it at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts