Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Arch, how did you feel about Hamilton removing himself and Kimi from the race today? Looked like a deliberate swerve into Kimi instead of just going forward or swerving into the wall. How did you feel about this?

Disclaimer: This "accident" is already being discussed in the F1 thread and this topic is centered more on Archie's Patriotism towards Lewis Hamilton so we can take friendly knocks at our friendly Arch.

Hehe, don't mean to sound mean or rude, bud, I'm just having some fun. :D

Where's Pete when I need him? Down with the red coats!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
A silly mistake. It happens, haven't you ever had a shunt when you've been looking at a girl walking down the street, and then BAAAMMMM you ploughed into the rear of the car in front of you.

Fantastic drive by Kubica, he thoroughly deserved his first win. He's outdriven that BMW all season. He's every bit as talented as any of the great drivers from the past and definite world champion material.

What happened with Massa? he had a perfect opportunity to capitalise on Lewis and Kimi's exit and never made the most of it (again). Get Kubica in the Ferrari next year.

It was also very nice to see DC on the podium, a Brit in 3rd place Dmitri, so I'm still happy:) just remind me where the American drivers and teams finished;)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Massa was having some sort of fuel problems, and I was very happy to see Coulthard up there on the podium again. So, how did mini-archie take the news of Lewis taking out Kimi?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Completely devastated, he went to bed in floods of tears, just like when LH crashed out on the pit lane in China last year. I haven't dared tell him that LH is going to be demoted 10 places on the next starting grid.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh oh...maybe a 1/18th scale model of the McLaren Mercedes F1 car is in order to cure his ailments? :rofl:

When I was much younger my father bought me a 1/18th scale Benetton when Schumi was driving for them. In my ignorance I was "racing" it and tore off one of the front wheels. :(

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I know that feeling well, my son has well over 100 model and toy Ferrari's, plus countless other cars. The collectors items and toys all get the same treatment....they all get trashed:( He has a Renault (we call it Alonso's), that get's by far the roughest treatment:D

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
so we can take friendly knocks at our friendly Arch.
friendly??? I have no idea what you're talking about, Dmitri! hehehehe

archiegibbs said:
What happened with Massa? he had a perfect opportunity to capitalise on Lewis and Kimi's exit and never made the most of it (again). Get Kubica in the Ferrari next year.
my turn to be patriotic now (yeah, whatever)

maybe we watched different races, archie

what I saw was Ferrari placing the wrong bet about the weather in Monaco, and now Ferrari did a mistake again (fuel pump didn't work or something like that), and so in two consecutive races Massa was taken out of the top places by mistakes made by the team

and maybe you were taking a nap when he was flying past TWO drivers in the same corner (the most difficult of the race, BTW), and then taking a position over the Toyota in the end of the race

meanwhile, what did Kimi do in Monaco? yeah, great driving taking Sutil out of the race

so taking the two last races on consideration, the way I see it Massa did a much better job then Kimi in both times

and what about Kovalainen, that is being beaten by BOTH BMW cars with his McLaren? what about his driving in Canada?

please, take Kovalainen to Force India and put Kubica in the McLaren car

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I know that feeling well, my son has well over 100 model and toy Ferrari's, plus countless other cars. The collectors items and toys all get the same treatment....they all get trashed:( He has a Renault (we call it Alonso's), that get's by far the roughest treatment:D
don't blame him for that, I did the same a few years ago :D hehehehehe

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
friendly??? I have no idea what you're talking about, Dmitri! hehehehe

my turn to be patriotic now (yeah, whatever)

maybe we watched different races, archie

what I saw was Ferrari placing the wrong bet about the weather in Monaco, and now Ferrari did a mistake again (fuel pump didn't work or something like that), and so in two consecutive races Massa was taken out of the top places by mistakes made by the team

and maybe you were taking a nap when he was flying past TWO drivers in the same corner (the most difficult of the race, BTW), and then taking a position over the Toyota in the end of the race

meanwhile, what did Kimi do in Monaco? yeah, great driving taking Sutil out of the race

so taking the two last races on consideration, the way I see it Massa did a much better job then Kimi in both times

and what about Kovalainen, that is being beaten by BOTH BMW cars with his McLaren? what about his driving in Canada?

please, take Kovalainen to Force India and put Kubica in the McLaren car
Yeah, I do sound a bit cruel to Massa, no offence to Brazilians:) I just don't think he is world championship material, he's a good No2 driver as is Heiki Kovalainen. When he is on form he is super fast, he had some moments of brilliance yesterday, his overtaking movements were brave and skillfull, but on the other hand he is prone to mistakes, more so than Hamilton.
The truth is Massa is a nice guy, when he's interviewed he is always friendly - Alonso, Kubica, Kimi & Lewis all have that cool arrogance that Scheuy and Senna possessed, and what is required to be a champ.
Kovalainen is the same, but he hasn't even got Massa's pace. Kubica at McLaren would be a good move for both team and driver, but I could see a few more arguments with LH and his team mate. It would be like the days of Senna & Prost, or Senna & Piquet or even Lewis and Alonso.

As things stand, I still think the title will go to Kimi or Lewis with Kubica and Massa battling it out for 3rd and 4th. Heidfeld 5th and Kovalainen 6th, Alonso 7th, Sterling Moss 8th;)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Archie, you may be right, I partially agree with you.

One thing I disagree is that to be "championship winner material" you have to be arrogant. No one needs to be arrogant.

Another thing, I think Massa is far better than Kovaleinen. Just look at all the pole positions he got with his Ferrari (remember Senna with his McLaren?) and the way he drove this and so many other races last year coming from the back of the race to achieve a good result in the top 5. That happened when Ferrari made mistakes, when the car broke down, I don't remember any of those disasters coming from a mistake that he made.

Maybe he's not a great driver, I actually believe that Alonso is far superior than him, and Hamilton will be in a few years. But Kimi doesn't convince me, really. Not even with last year's championship.

BTW: Senna never raced in the same team with Piquet ;)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Archie, you may be right, I partially agree with you.

One thing I disagree is that to be "championship winner material" you have to be arrogant. No one needs to be arrogant.

Another thing, I think Massa is far better than Kovaleinen. Just look at all the pole positions he got with his Ferrari (remember Senna with his McLaren?) and the way he drove this and so many other races last year coming from the back of the race to achieve a good result in the top 5. That happened when Ferrari made mistakes, when the car broke down, I don't remember any of those disasters coming from a mistake that he made.

Maybe he's not a great driver, I actually believe that Alonso is far superior than him, and Hamilton will be in a few years. But Kimi doesn't convince me, really. Not even with last year's championship.

BTW: Senna never raced in the same team with Piquet ;)
Stile, I hope you understand what I mean when I say arrogance, it might not be the right choice of word, but what I mean is an aura of confidence and coolness which borders on arrogance. SChumacher, Senna, Mansell and Alonso all had it, and whether you like them or not, you just knew that they were going to be champ as they had that single mindedness and self belief and nothing was going to stop them from achieving their ultimate goal. I don't think many F1 drivers have it, or indeed sportsmen in any field. Most are just grateful that they are competing at the highest level.
I never thought Kimi had it until last year, I always thought he was going to be another driver who was destined to finish 2nd or 3rd, like Coulthard or Reubens. He was under pressure last year at Ferrari after he got off to a poor start, but he never gave up and came good at the end. Admitedly he was helped by the infighting at McLaren and Hamilton throwing the title away in the last few races, but I think that win has given him the experience and confidence to deal with the pressure.
I stand corrected about Piquet and Senna, I meant Mansell and Piquet;) The 80's really were the good old days of F1, drivers all hating and fighting each other and taking each other off the track in tactical moves. I still love watching clips of Piquet and Senna going at each other after a collision.
Funny thing is, I never liked Senna when he was at McLaren, Mansell was my F1 hero in those days. It's only since his tragic death that I've really appreciated what a talent he was. Similarly with Schumacher, I knew he was good but never liked him until after he had retired.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Archie, I do understand what you meant, but indeed arrogance may not be the best word for it (of course I can't think of a better word unless we start discussing in Portuguese). Anyway, I think Hamilton doesn't have that "aura" as much as Alonso, and Schumacher had it much more evident in his early years driving for Ferrari. With time he became a much more sympathetic figure to me.

Massa and Barrichello are much more sympathetic and don't seem to have that "rock star" aura. But Barrichello's driving never impressed me, while Massa often does some very VERY nice driving.

But then Kubica also seems to be so sympathetic and nice, and every race he puts up an incredible driving show. Meanwhile, Nelson Piquet (the son) has such an arrogant attitude but never finishes a race.

Kimi, on the other hand, doesn't surprise me with his driving (don't remember anything extraordinary that he did), but he's efficient, like you pointed out very well, and that's why he brought home the title last year. He sure handled the pressure VERY well.

And I agree that the 80s and early 90s were AMAZING when it comes to F1, a shame you spent those great days cheering for Mansell instead of Senna! hehehehe

I always like Ayrton, he was one of the reasons why I became so interested in cars and Formula 1, it is a shame he passed away so young.

I think Hamilton is the biggest talent in F1 right now, maybe with the potential to be another "Senna". But that will take some time, right now Alonso is still the best driver in F1 IMHO.

BTW: take a look at the print screen I attached, then tell me if you really think exchanging Massa for Kubica is the best thing for Ferrari to do...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts