Ferrari Life Forum banner

Any model-builders here?

19K views 86 replies 23 participants last post by  456-boy 
#1 ·
I read there are a lot of model-collectors here, but are there any model-builders here? I build 1:24 scale myself, but I want to make conversions to special editions, so I'm looking for some information/advice here.

#3 ·
I am the worse type. I bought so many models but have not taken the trouble to assemble them. I collect unassembled models. :lol:

I love the big models and I have 2 F40 in 1/12s (Protar and Fujimi), 1 F40 in 1/8 (Pocher) and oddly enough a Tamiya F50 in 1/12 preassemled. And a lot more of Tamiyas in 1/24 that's waiting in their boxes. I will have all the time to assemble them when I retire. :lol:

#5 ·
For years I have collected die-cast 1:18 models and only recently have gotten back into building plastic models. The last one I did was a Tamiya 1:12 Caterham Super Seven and currently, I'm involved in a Monogram 1:24 Bugatti Type 35B.

Attachments

#7 ·
the super seven's are very cool cars, another one that isn't available in the US i believe?
and Peter, defenitly post a pic of the Type 35B when your done, i just love Bugs

I would love to start builidng 1/43 resin kits, but those little things don't look very easy

#8 ·
Yes, the Super Seven's are not available here. What I had considered before buying the Ferrari, was to make one from scratch... I had the plans/book, plus, I bought a welding machine, to weld the frame and other parts together. Its weird that I could make one and it would be perfectly legal, yet the real thing isn't... Strange laws...

I'm not finished the T35 yet. I'll be applying a second coat of paint to the body, then wet-sanding, then polish and wax. Then final assembly. I'll post more pics. The one of the dashboard, I cut the hole out in the middle so I could install the magnetto ignition system.

I'm intimidated with the small size of 1/43 as well. If I practice more with these 1/24, maybe I'll be able to do a good 1/43...

Attachments

#9 ·
Peter,
I can't imagine trying a 1/43. I tried a 1:18 of an F16 when I was in high school, will certainly teach you a few things about how patient you are. Lets just say I wasn't very patient. Your model looks awesome. I love the copper touch.

Speaking for the super7. You could get this as a kit car for around $13,000 I think. Check the back of a R&T I use to see them here.

#13 ·
Pete, is that completely self-built? or a kit? My father builds ships in schale out of the blue. They are extremely detailed. I can post some pictures if you want. They are not the same type as your boat, but he has a trimaran (however that spelling is), a racer (sailing), and now he's busy on a boat for "cruising". Let me know if you're interested, I'll make some photo's.

#14 ·
It was a kit, but a very good one. Someday I am going to set up a modelling bench in the basement and finish it.

Go ahead and post the pics of the boats your Dad has built. I wouldn't mind taking a peek.

Does he do R/C? I have a scale model of a Wellcraft "cigarette" boat that does about 25 mph.

#15 ·
Yes, it's R/C, I'll see when I'll be home again. My dad is much more into sailing than motering. But if you have a problem with a construction, just ask, with maybe a picture, my dad figured out an awful lot with problematic constuctions, because he builds everything by himself. I'm quite sure he wants to help.

#25 ·
[quote='75 308 GT4 (Peter)]I'll second Andrew's wow comment... Wow!

Very, very well done. Perfect paint finishes[/quote]

And I'll have to third that! :)

I have to agree, your finishes look fantastic! You must use those many steps of sanding and polishing well and must have alot of practice at it, because the shine of the paint is absolutely fantastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.