Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read there are a lot of model-collectors here, but are there any model-builders here? I build 1:24 scale myself, but I want to make conversions to special editions, so I'm looking for some information/advice here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Dr Bob! i'm a model-collector, but only 1/18! I build some models my self, at the moment i'm working a 250TR 59' about a 250TR 58' basis from Bburago! I have created some stickers, 3 F555 challenge, one from Ferrari Francorchamps, one from Kroyman, one from Ferrari UK!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I am the worse type. I bought so many models but have not taken the trouble to assemble them. I collect unassembled models. :lol:

I love the big models and I have 2 F40 in 1/12s (Protar and Fujimi), 1 F40 in 1/8 (Pocher) and oddly enough a Tamiya F50 in 1/12 preassemled. And a lot more of Tamiyas in 1/24 that's waiting in their boxes. I will have all the time to assemble them when I retire. :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi All,

Me too, I collect kits not assembled in 1:43 scale (white metal or resin from BBR, AMR and Provence Moulage). Like Stradale, I dream of having plenty of time... Maybe one day!

Marcel Brossi.

·
Registered
575 Posts
For years I have collected die-cast 1:18 models and only recently have gotten back into building plastic models. The last one I did was a Tamiya 1:12 Caterham Super Seven and currently, I'm involved in a Monogram 1:24 Bugatti Type 35B.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
the super seven's are very cool cars, another one that isn't available in the US i believe?
and Peter, defenitly post a pic of the Type 35B when your done, i just love Bugs

I would love to start builidng 1/43 resin kits, but those little things don't look very easy

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yes, the Super Seven's are not available here. What I had considered before buying the Ferrari, was to make one from scratch... I had the plans/book, plus, I bought a welding machine, to weld the frame and other parts together. Its weird that I could make one and it would be perfectly legal, yet the real thing isn't... Strange laws...

I'm not finished the T35 yet. I'll be applying a second coat of paint to the body, then wet-sanding, then polish and wax. Then final assembly. I'll post more pics. The one of the dashboard, I cut the hole out in the middle so I could install the magnetto ignition system.

I'm intimidated with the small size of 1/43 as well. If I practice more with these 1/24, maybe I'll be able to do a good 1/43...

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Peter,
I can't imagine trying a 1/43. I tried a 1:18 of an F16 when I was in high school, will certainly teach you a few things about how patient you are. Lets just say I wasn't very patient. Your model looks awesome. I love the copper touch.

Speaking for the super7. You could get this as a kit car for around $13,000 I think. Check the back of a R&T I use to see them here.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hate 1:43 kits, they're too small, too little details, and too little pieces to paint it well. 1:24 is THE scale to build cars. Or bigger, but that's too expensive for me. I'd love to build a 1:8 or even better, a 1:4 :D

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Not a car, but I do want to finish it at some point. It has been a few years since I last worked on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pete, is that completely self-built? or a kit? My father builds ships in schale out of the blue. They are extremely detailed. I can post some pictures if you want. They are not the same type as your boat, but he has a trimaran (however that spelling is), a racer (sailing), and now he's busy on a boat for "cruising". Let me know if you're interested, I'll make some photo's.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
It was a kit, but a very good one. Someday I am going to set up a modelling bench in the basement and finish it.

Go ahead and post the pics of the boats your Dad has built. I wouldn't mind taking a peek.

Does he do R/C? I have a scale model of a Wellcraft "cigarette" boat that does about 25 mph.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, it's R/C, I'll see when I'll be home again. My dad is much more into sailing than motering. But if you have a problem with a construction, just ask, with maybe a picture, my dad figured out an awful lot with problematic constuctions, because he builds everything by himself. I'm quite sure he wants to help.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I love to put together model cars. I prefer the metal kind and the prepainted kind. I have about 40 model cars.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would LOVE to see that result.
And I'm sure you're going to share the final product with us ;)
maybe when you got some you can make a sort of a 3d race :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I read there are a lot of model-collectors here, but are there any model-builders here? I build 1:24 scale myself, but I want to make conversions to special editions, so I'm looking for some information/advice here.
I've found a really great site for you...

http://italianhorses.net/

you can learn a lot from it!!! :up:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts