Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Ni How

Not in the Far East, but did live there for years....LOVE HK. one of my most favorite cities

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just jointed this forum.
HK native living in San Francisco. Visiting Hong Kong / China 3-4 times a year. Would love to attend some HK events...

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Welcome to FL. Just came back from a trip to Hong Kong and met David Lee there. Also, happened to stop by the Ferrari dealer/showeroom in Hong Kong. At least two of the special Ferraris displayed in the showroom had "sold" signs on them. Plently of exotics and owners there. w/ smiles Jimmy

·
Registered
473 Posts
Love HK, spent 3 years commuting there from SF, guess I've been there 20 or more times... There's a great exotic car showroom under the Grand Hyatt at Wan Chai, they sell everything there it's kind of fun to browse!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another HK owner here; just found this forum digging around on the web looking for new wheels for my 550. Victor, Raymond - are you guys on the island or kowloon side?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No, not easily. To drive across the border you need "Dual Plates", basically a China license plate bolted below the Hong Kong license plate. To get a China plate requires jumping through a lot of hoops, including proof that you own a business in China, have a certain amount of revenue, etc. etc. Dual plates are not uncommon, but the average motorist will not be able to get access to dual plates.

Occasionally, car clubs will organize group drives into China with special license arrangements. I've never done them though - drivers in China are absolutely nuts. Every single time I've been in China (no exaggeration) I've seen at least one, sometimes two, major accidents. A car I was in nearly rear-ended a BMW 3 series at 120 kph on the highway because the driver decided to come to a dead stop to chat on her phone, not on the shoulder, but in the passing lane. Nutty stuff like this happens all the time. Even worse are the carjackings that happen in Shenzhen (the border town in China adjacent to HK).

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
No, not easily. To drive across the border you need "Dual Plates", basically a China license plate bolted below the Hong Kong license plate. To get a China plate requires jumping through a lot of hoops, including proof that you own a business in China, have a certain amount of revenue, etc. etc. Dual plates are not uncommon, but the average motorist will not be able to get access to dual plates.

Occasionally, car clubs will organize group drives into China with special license arrangements. I've never done them though - drivers in China are absolutely nuts. Every single time I've been in China (no exaggeration) I've seen at least one, sometimes two, major accidents. A car I was in nearly rear-ended a BMW 3 series at 120 kph on the highway because the driver decided to come to a dead stop to chat on her phone, not on the shoulder, but in the passing lane. Nutty stuff like this happens all the time. Even worse are the carjackings that happen in Shenzhen (the border town in China adjacent to HK).
Sounds like the situation has not changed much in the last 10 years. Had a scary drive from HK to Guangzhou back in the late 90s.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have u tried the FOCHK (Ferrari owners club HK). We meet almost every month and it arrangs drives to china, Malaysia, Australia etc. Only six thousand for member dues. May see u there.

·
Registered
62 Posts

I have had a China plate for years and drive lots in China. No problems

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member from Hong Kong

Hi Guys,

Another ferrari owner/chatter here. Is this thread still active. My car is at the dealer and I sure can get some advice on service. Have the 348 spyder for almost 12 years and just joined this afternoon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A friend of mine in the UK is looking to sell his RHD 599 GTO. I have seen the car, it is outstanding and spec is great. PM me if you are interested and I will pass on the contact.
unlikely to be of interest in hk. lots of 599gtos were sold be dealer. few have shifted already. uk car has uk tax paid which on a very young registered car not in excessive demand is likely to be a deal breaker. when car older less of an issue as hk frt also falls. right now hk frt will be at full rate

1 - 20 of 51 Posts