Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really appreciate the patience of the forum members with my continuous stream of rather simple questions!

It appears as if the pricing of a 99 six speed 360 is close to the price of a late model 355 spider. I hear the 360 is much faster and more advanced. On the other hand, the 355 spider is sure easy on the eyes.

I need to make a decision. Any thoughts and experience?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Two things comes to mind when I think abour the 355 Spyder. First the seat automatically slide forward when the roof is put up or put down. This seat mechanism always give problem and then you have to know the "manual" sequence/drill to raise or lower the roof. Second the oxygen sensor for the exhaust system is housed in a box "sealed" and sealed with a Bitumen looking compound that tend to shrink and cause gaps between it and the box, allowing moisture to foul up the sensor. The warning light will come on and after a while the engine will run on one bank only. Just long enough for you to get to a workshop. This doesn't happen to every car but it has happened to a few F355s because the engine bay's ventilation grill is open to rain.

The manual '99 360 is a better bet in my opinion.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You are really comparing apples with oranges re 355 Spider and 360M. To my mind , the 355 shape is timeless and very elegant. The 360 series, except for CS, has never captured my attention like the 355. That said, the 355 interior design at over 10 yrs old is showing it's age and is not very well made. Leather shrinkage and bubbling surface on rubberised instrument surfaces is a problem in v hot climates. The Spider hood IS fiddly & delicate and the electric seats are a known weakness on the model.The 360 is much more " ordinary car"like inside and feels much more modern in comp to 355. It's a bit more powerful and slightly better behaved on the road and track.
However, i chose to buy a 355 Spider over a 360 equivalent based on looks, relative rarity- at least in UK- and not forgetting of course, that fantastic engine note , which in my case is supported by a decat Tubi.
The 355vs360 debate has been raging for as long as the models have been around and the honest answer is there is no bad choice whichever way you go.
For me though , 355 is clear winner .... :wink:

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Hi Dan,

I think these two post sum it up nicely. The cars are very different and you have to weight it according to what you want. You have to ask yourself a few questions:

How much power do you want and does the F355 deliver the power you want?

Being in Kansas will you be driving with the top down or up more often?

I also think it is important to drive both if you can. The 360's additional power is noticable but the F355 has plenty for regular streets.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
360 versus 355

I have driven the 355 6 speed and enjoyed it. I am really taken by the looks of the 355. However, when I compared it with a new porsche 997 cab, it is clearly not as 'modern', much more raw.

Unforuntately, I have not driven a 360. However, the interior does appear more up to date and I understand the drive is a clear step beyond teh 355. Hence my dilema!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Dan,

I think it all depends on preference. Some, myself included, like a more raw driving experience. I would opt for the F355 personally. The car is one of the best designed in my opinion. The engine note with the top down will sound awesome (not that the 360 won't). It still has a lot of power. It has a lot of soul. There are fewer F355s than 360s.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dan,
i think you will be surprised at dif driving experience between 355 and 360. As you rightly point out , the 355 is much rawer and the drive feels more special, if that makes sense. A good friend let me drive his man 360 Spider and then CS when he changed cars; i found the 360 man much less involving and intimate. The 360 is a bigger car all round , feels higher off the ground . To me, it lost something in transition from 355 to 360. The CS , however, is awesome and is the only car i would trade my Spider for.
Rgds
Tony

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 355 spyder and i have driven a few 360's. For me the choice is simple. The 355 spyder is the last true topless ferrari. The sound with the top down is pure magic. The driver feel of the 355 is timeless. The 360 is jsut to removed from the road as far as feel goes. The interior might be a little more dated, but it is classic. The car does give you a classic feel all around but with the creature comforts that you want. Everyone is right thoe, the top is a piece of crap. But just do what i do. Leave it down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm trying!!

tonyh said:
Dan,
did you take the plunge?
I have been looking for a red/tan 6 speed in pristine condition. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful so far. While I have found a couple of cars, they really do not appear to be "10s" It has been a little frustrating.

If you know of someone who might be selling one, please let me know!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: I'm trying!!

danthemanjayhawk said:
tonyh said:
Dan,
did you take the plunge?
I have been looking for a red/tan 6 speed in pristine condition. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful so far. While I have found a couple of cars, they really do not appear to be "10s" It has been a little frustrating.

If you know of someone who might be selling one, please let me know!
Saw a very clean 1999 red/tan one with 11,000 miles recently at Ferrari of Atlanta. However, it's a consignment car with a price ($120K) that may keep it around for a while. Check out their website for pictures.

I've driven both the 355 and 360 in Berlinetta 6 speed manual models only. I prefer the looks of the 355, but thought the 360 had the edge in handling. I think the handling advantage may be due to the increased structural rigidity in the 360. I also preferred the 360's gearbox, but found the electric throttle a bit touchy for use with the manual clutch. They're both great cars, but with distinctly different personalities. Definitely drive a 360 before buying the 355.

If it were me and it was purely a weekend driver, I'd go with the 355 spider over the 360 berlinetta. Nothing like that exhaust note with the top down!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I think aesthetics are personal influences: every Ferrari model has its own following. I also think many Ferraris look much better in person than others. I think the 355 is pleasingly aggressive, but I would buy one because of its performance over its predecessors.

The 360 is svelte and, thanks to the sheer numbers made [and more than the 355], will depreciate faster, thus rendering it more affordable to ME in 10-20 years time. The fact of its production numbers should also make parts availability a nicer aspect of Ferrari ownership; especially to all those first time owners 10-20 years from now. :wink:

What wonderful cars Ferraris are! Each generation of cars magically attract a generational following: I simply adore those models that I grew up longing for [Boxers, 308s, T-Rossas] and dream about having these more so than their predecessors, or their legacies! 8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
355 Service

I really like the lines of the 355 and I also prefer a Spider.
I believe I will start with a 355 spider and in a year or two, purchase a 360 spider.

One 355 I am looking at has under 10K miles, no paint work and recent belt service. However, it has not had any service history on the cats, manifolds, head, ecus or the like. A reputable Ferrari checked over recently (in last 7 months).

Should this concern me?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Re: 355 Service

danthemanjayhawk said:
I really like the lines of the 355 and I also prefer a Spider.
I believe I will start with a 355 spider and in a year or two, purchase a 360 spider.

One 355 I am looking at has under 10K miles, no paint work and recent belt service. However, it has not had any service history on the cats, manifolds, head, ecus or the like. A reputable Ferrari checked over recently (in last 7 months).

Should this concern me?
My 24k mile, '95 car has original clutch & manifolds and shows no sign of valve guide problems. Cats were taken off when Tubi was fitted. As long as the PPI is clean, i wouldn't worry at all.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Re: 355 Service

danthemanjayhawk said:

Should this concern me?
Per my experience with a 95 F355 GTS, also no.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
f355 purchase

Well, I did it! I bought a 97 355 red/tan 6 speed with 8K miles and tubi!

Wow, what a blast. Why didn't you guys tell me how much fun this would be? Just kidding. Seriously, the rush this car gives you at over 5,000 rpm is just ridiculous. It really should be illegal. And it is absolutely beautiful.

I hope all of you are happy. I think I have been ruined for anything else!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts