Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I would like to compliment the Ferrari Forum members for their generosity, knowledge and good humor.

Unfortunately, we were not all made equals. Not everybody who owns a Ferrari is a talented mechanic.

I, for one, know nothing of the intricate inner workings of the Beast. But I will learn!

To ease-up the learning process, I suggest a section, in the Forum, about WHY and HOW things work:

Beyond technical data and drawing I would like an explanation, in simple terms, of why things are there, how they work, what is their purpose and what is their interaction with other parts of the car.

What is the cooling system, why do we need one, what are its component, what is the role of each component, how does the system work and when?

What is the transmission? What is the engine? What is the lubrication system? Etc…

I think that when we know why things are there and how they work, we have better access to understanding a problem when it arises. This knowledge base will also help us to be more receptive to the “experts” suggestions and help.

Knowing how things work and why is the first step for proper use, maintenance, diagnostic and repair.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
It's a great idea and I'd be happy to help. In addition to my Bachelor's in Nautical Science, I also have an Associate's in Automotive Technology. The automotive degree was bestowed on me in 1985 so don't bother asking about all the technology of the 21st century. Having said that, the internal combustion engine has not really changed much in the last century. The big changes (aside from overhead valves) have been with fuel delivery and ignition. I can't tell you all the intricacies of the modern computer controls on an engine, but I can explain why you need them.

I'd be happy to answer any general questions in the Driver's Lounge, but
I'm pretty sure that Andrew would want to make any comprehensive articles a member's only feature.

If I get some spare time I'll write up a little "Engines 101" course and submit it to Andrew. I'm sure he'll pass it around to the other "experts" for tweaking. Once we've covered the basics of converting liquid gasoline into rotary motion, we could cover all the other issues like cooling systems and transmissions. And brakes! The engine converts heat into motion, the brakes convert motion into heat. Steven (enjoythemusic) is one of the best I've seen on brake theory.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is just wonderful.

I don't know how to thank all of you, who spend your own free time explaining things to bloodsucking leaches like myself.

:wink:

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
ptiflipiou said:
That is just wonderful.

I don't know how to thank all of you, who spend your own free time explaining things to bloodsucking leaches like myself.

:wink:
No need for thanks...We do it because we love cars, engines, problem solving, sharing ideas, accomplishments in fixing our cars ourselves. And when we turn the key and she comes to life…ultimate satisfaction.

Check this site, its pretty good for beginners, just type what you want and read on...

Engine answers http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question132.htm
Cooling answers http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question248.htm
Brake answers http://auto.howstuffworks.com/brake.htm

Animated engine http://www.keveney.com/otto.html

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Excellent links magnum, way better than anything I could come up with. If you have any specific questions feel free to post them in the Driver's Lounge but enjoy the links that magnum provided.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
these guys with numbers on the nick name are the best :lol:

we have so much to learn from you

thanks for sharing your wisdom, Mr. 04222 and Mr. 6464

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much indeed. I've already learned a bunch with those links.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I do like the idea you are proposing. I think a Technical Wiki would be the ideal solution. A Wiki is bascially an encycolopedia everyone can edit. I'll look into this and we can certainly provide this. It will take some time however as I'm swampped with projects for this site.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
How a Ferrari works.

Put foot to metal, it goes.
Put foot to brake, it stops.
Point where you wish to go, it goes there.

Better than anything.

8)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bart said:
How a Ferrari works.

Put foot to metal, it goes.
Put foot to brake, it stops.
Point where you wish to go, it goes there.

Better than anything.

8)
Thx Bart,
that's all I need to know :D
Jurgen

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
I do like the idea you are proposing. I think a Technical Wiki would be the ideal solution. A Wiki is bascially an encycolopedia everyone can edit.
When I joined, I went through pages and pages of previous posts about problems and solutions in all the section except the vintage section. Its sad to see them lost just because of time (new posts).

We should have a section, by model and the year of the vehicle. When a post is added with a problem, the problem should added as the title. Once the title (problem) is selected, it should open another page with all the solutions and the names of the people who posted them. If any more detailed information is needed, they can email that member.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
magnum6464 said:
When I joined, I went through pages and pages of previous posts about problems and solutions in all the section except the vintage section. Its sad to see them lost just because of time (new posts).

We should have a section, by model and the year of the vehicle. When a post is added with a problem, the problem should added as the title. Once the title (problem) is selected, it should open another page with all the solutions and the names of the people who posted them. If any more detailed information is needed, they can email that member.
That sounds like a lot of work to make happen.

Some of the issues with that would be that you would now be required to enter a lot more information about the car when you make a post. What about the odd - "Tire and brake issues" post that spans several models? Or the "308 questions" post that covers everything from fuel systems to blinkers? Should the author create a separate post for each of his questions?

I think the best way to handle this would be to just use the "Search" function already here.

I couple of years ago I asked Andrew about a spell-check function. I thought it was a good idea. He was like, "You have absolutely no idea what it would take to create that do you?" I was like, "no." He was like, "Well I do. It ain't gonna happen." He agreed it would be handy, just be a logistical nightmare to implement.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I know how creating a web site works, I took a 3 year computer programming course. Funny that I work in Release Management.

Anyway, creating a spell check is very time consuming. So is creating a Solution page. But once a page is created with all models, you can have a ¼ left page selection with a drop down with the head topics, brakes, exhaust, engine, interior, body, electrical. Its going to take some time for sure but It just depends on Andrew if he can fit it in his schedule. He does alot now just to keep this site running not to mention it would be nice to have more full members.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
From personal experience I know Andrew is very busy optimizing the site. I throw new ideas at him constantly. The problem is he currently is the onlyperson who can code for the site, so he has to do most of the work. The things you mentioned are pretty easy to find in the net, so not very usefull to write ourselves. www.howthingswork.com is a fantastic site so why invent the wheel for a second time. What we can do is describe the most regular problems for certain types since that is more specific and isn't described somewhere else.
If you have ideas, we will always try to work them out. And we can always use help :)

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
magnum6464 said:
I like this idea to and it is on my to do list. I have a very cool Project Management software that is up to 30+ work orders. One of them is for a complete custom forum. When that happens, the above can happen. It all comes down to organization of the data at both the database level and then at the interface level. What it really comes down to is: money, time & resources. There is no limit to what can be done, only my pocket book is the limit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts