Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing up my ignition conversion, I've got the front distributor out and I find that the air pump check valve is rotted out and just hanging there in space. I guess I have found that exhaust leak I thought was too expensive to bother looking for. Oh great, this is a show stopper since you can only get to this part with the distributor out. I'm figuring a call to Dennis McCann is in order with FedEx shipping. My wife says "So I guess you'll be running down to CarQuest." I say "Ya right, like they are going to have one of these laying around for a '79 Ferrari." She says "What, they only made these for Ferrari's?"

So I get thinking, "Wait a minute." and I go to my other garage and start digging through "The pile of stuff I will never use but is too good to throw away" and I find the old exhaust manifold left over from my Jeep when I put the Borla exhaust on it and sure enough, there is an air pump check valve on it. Guess what - It fits!!

I looked up the part on McCann's website and he is getting $42 for it. I couldn't believe that a Jeep part fit the Ferrari. I was very pleased. Some things do go my way.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, the other thing that really impressed me today - I actually remembered that there was an air pump check valve that looked similar to the Ferrari one on the exhaust manifold I took off the Jeep 6 years ago and could lay my hands on it within 10 minutes.

This, also, is why my wife gets upset when I forget stuff like birthdays, anniversaries, we have a cat and other little details.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've always known that the emissions parts were from GM vehicles, but it doesn't surprise me that the one from the Jeep fits as well.

Good job Pete!

And remind your wife next time that it was a good thing to keep a big pile of old parts from cars in the garage. You know, "just in case..." :wink:

·
Registered
82 Posts
i remember tuning a subaru impreza wrx one time at my old job. he started to starve for fuel because of getting too close to the 300 hp mark. the owner of the car was a ferrari mechanic and he had a fuel presure regulator from a certain ferrari that not only matched the bolt pattern and created a perfect seal on the fuel rail end it actually cranked fuel pressure up about 15 psi. it richened up the mixture just enough for me to finish tuning the car just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts