Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use Agip brand oils in their Ferrari? I've been told that it is reconmended by Ferrari, but people only seem to use Mobil 1. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
BrentC said:
Anyone use Agip brand oils in their Ferrari? I've been told that it is reconmended by Ferrari, but people only seem to use Mobil 1. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.
Not any more. Ferrari recommend Shell.

It's been so long since Ferrari use Agip, maybe 10 years ago!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Ducati switched from Agip to Shell at about the same time.
It sounds like the mfg sopped getting free oil from Agip, and now gets free stuff Shell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Fred said:
Ducati switched from Agip to Shell at about the same time.
It sounds like the mfg sopped getting free oil from Agip, and now gets free stuff Shell
Look at who sponsored Ferrari at the time... and THAT is the 'officially recommended oil.'

IMHO use Mobile 1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow,

Thanks for all the responses. Good points made by all. I guess you're right, the recomended oil is probably the one that is free or close to free from the oil company to the mfg. Although I could never tell the difference in one oil to the next, Mobil 1 seems to be the mosst widely used. And that generally has merit behind it.

Thanks guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Alfa and Fiat recommends to use Selenia Lubricants, and there're lots of Italian car's owner (not Ferrari) using it in my country
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,208 Posts
BUMP : To rest

time to bump this thread from long ago to its final resting spot. Unless Agip has formulated differently, I would not use it as better products are about.

Having said that, I remember a full major by Ferrari of San Francisco [before Boardwalk when owned by the factory] about five years ago, EVEN after Shell was in full force, making sure Agip was in the Mondial T as 'it was in the specs' and none other.

So I bought a case ... little did I know that I could mix or replace with little care with another synthetic.

Such are the factory dealerships. Which is why so many of us appreciate better applications by those allowed to think out of the box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
oil

for 12 years and 66000 miles...i used valvoline 20/50 racing petoleum based,,never had a problem,,for my 30k service last year...they put in mobile 1 15/ 50,,,after some snugging,,,no leaks,,,so im going to continue using mobile 1,,,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
There is a difference in oils, only 30% of a given amount of oil is "generic" base stock the other 70% is the manufacturer's additives. As one can imagine that allows quite a lot of room for variation. Nearly all oils you'll buy on the shelf of your local store are very similar, they have to meet standardized criteria that make them approved for every day cars. I personally prefer Motul or Redline brand oils. These are specialty oils and because of their volume are allowed to get around some of the regulations that reduce the amount of heavy particle additives that really help protect in extreme conditions.

Both of these brands of oils are also ester based, not Petroleum based which gives them the ability to stand up under temperature better. Both brands have "street" and "motorsport" oils to provide the best formulation for your needs. Oils like these which are intended for high performance use also contain silicate additives which help prevent "aeration' of the oil, where as most off the shelf oils do not. This aeration cause a few issues, some related to cavatation in oil pump creating an oil starvation issue, allowing oil to foam up and get drawn into the intake system and giving in accurate level readings.

A Ferrari engine isn't designed exactly like everything else, and it doesn't run like everything else. I personally don't believe in using generic oils that work in everything else.

If I recall correctly, even the recommended Shell oil had aeration issues and Ferrari revised the level checking procedure to accommodate that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,208 Posts
There is a difference in oils, only 30% of a given amount of oil is "generic" base stock the other 70% is the manufacturer's additives. As one can imagine that allows quite a lot of room for variation. Nearly all oils you'll buy on the shelf of your local store are very similar, they have to meet standardized criteria that make them approved for every day cars. I personally prefer Motul or Redline brand oils. These are specialty oils and because of their volume are allowed to get around some of the regulations that reduce the amount of heavy particle additives that really help protect in extreme conditions.

Both of these brands of oils are also ester based, not Petroleum based which gives them the ability to stand up under temperature better. Both brands have "street" and "motorsport" oils to provide the best formulation for your needs. Oils like these which are intended for high performance use also contain silicate additives which help prevent "aeration' of the oil, where as most off the shelf oils do not. This aeration cause a few issues, some related to cavatation in oil pump creating an oil starvation issue, allowing oil to foam up and get drawn into the intake system and giving in accurate level readings.

A Ferrari engine isn't designed exactly like everything else, and it doesn't run like everything else. I personally don't believe in using generic oils that work in everything else.

If I recall correctly, even the recommended Shell oil had aeration issues and Ferrari revised the level checking procedure to accommodate that.
That is a nice take. What is your opinion of mixing, say, a Redline like product with a Royal Purple/Mobile-1 high end type?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
I don't feel there is much to be gained. Both Redline and Motul are priced competitively with Mobil 1. I know guys with different types of cars mix and match gear oils to create a cocktail for suitable protection and nice smooth shifts, I don't see that the benefit would be the same in engine oils.

I'd also like to say that I don't consider my opinions to be gospel. I'm sharing my professional opinions based on understanding these products with commonly available information along side real world use. I also know that guys like Brian Crall and Dave Helms believe in these products over factory recommended ones due to better qualities, opinions that I value.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
768 Posts
I don't feel there is much to be gained. Both Redline and Motul are priced competitively with Mobil 1. I know guys with different types of cars mix and match gear oils to create a cocktail for suitable protection and nice smooth shifts, I don't see that the benefit would be the same in engine oils.

I'd also like to say that I don't consider my opinions to be gospel. I'm sharing my professional opinions based on understanding these products with commonly available information along side real world use. I also know that guys like Brian Crall and Dave Helms believe in these products over factory recommended ones due to better qualities, opinions that I value.
Very well said.
Thanks
Alex
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,886 Posts
I use Valvoline Synpower Full Synthetic 5W-40 and it has worked great for me and is readily available. It has also performed well in comparision tests. I originally used the Shell 5W-40 Helix Ultra, but as Josh noted, it foamed badly.

I note this question was first raised in 2005 and I remember some owners going to great lengths to obtain the AGIP, when much better oils were available. If it was in the owners manual, it had to be correct, right?

I think the only thing I use recommended in this bulletin and the owners manual is the Tutela CS Speed for the F1 system.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
The shop I deal with goes with Motul. w/ smiles Jimmy
And interestingly when I think of Motul I think of late 80's early 90's Japanese cars. Specifically the Civic Si racecars that were sponsored by them. Maybe it's a region thing too. Mobil 1 seems to be the standard in the states where if it calls for a synth, cant go wrong with that.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top