Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday Vitalone (David) and I met up in Johannesburg. He is here for the week but is heading down to Durban for the annual Porsche parade and it was really great to spend a couple of hours together. We could have gone for a beer in a pub but instead took our cars for a run!

We started with David driving my car and then I had the privilege of getting behind the wheel of his beautiful 1972 Porsche 911S Targa.

I'll leave the driving impressions of my car for David when he posts next but I can say that his 911 (one of four that he owns) is very special. The S model is the one of the most sought after models, especially in 1972/73 2.4 guise and I must say that the engine is a real gem. The 911 really is very well rounded with the steering, gearbox and suspension properly sorted and it is amazing to drive a car that is now 36 years old but is still really quick.

We did a 30km loop in each car and then went to my place. David got a quick "baptism of fire" with my three year old and five of the neigbours' kids all going mental in the street on their bikes.

Hopefully we can meet up in Europe for a return match soon!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Thanks Mike (Schumacher), it was a fabulous way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Mike's 308 GTSi is a revelation. Mechanically very sound and together-no rattles at all with the roof off.

The motor is very smooth and I can see why the i got a reputation as being slow. In fact it is quick and sounds magnificent in the 5000-7000rpm range, like a Cosworth F1 motor. It feels slower than it is because it is so smooth and linear, unlike the carb 308 that is more dramatic in feel and music.

The gearchange is excellent, far slicker than the carb car with a lighter gearshift. Through the gears there is not much in it between the i and carb 308s, but the carb car is a lot stronger towards the top end. Where the carb car would pull very strongly in 5th gear, I would drop to 4th gear in the i. So in the real world, not a lot of difference in performance but a world of difference in feel. The i is the "nicer" car to drive on a more regular basis (Mike's car is his daily driver and that is probably why his i goes so well and feels so together). The carb car is more old school-more demanding and more rewarding on that Sunday blast.

The orange car took my Mom and I safely and enjoyably to Durban and back and surprised a few newer cars around the grand old Roy Hesketh circuit near to Pietermaritzburg. 2000km in 5 days. Seeing the world through the windscreens of Ferraris and Porsches is living the dream for me!

It is great to be back in Europe and I look forward to some more bonding time with the vetroresina.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Lovely, guys. I hope to be in SA one time to join you (my company has an office there that I used to frequent), and Vitalone - you just missed all the fun the last 3 weeks in Europe, my friend! The Boxer was transported back to the UK last night.

Maybe next year.

Onno
It looks like I will be staying in Europe for most of 2009 (yeehah!) and so I am very keen for the FerrariLife epic trip next year. When will you be in town next? Hopefully then the 308 and BB can finally meet up and sing a chorus of quad Weber symphonies together.

And hopefully Schumacher can join us for the epic run in 2009. Lots to look forward to!

Hope the BB is finally fettled-it will be worth it once sorted, a magnificent Ferrari.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Vitalone, the orange 911 looks very very nice, specially next to the 308, don't know why but it seems that some cars look better together, and the 308 + 911 is a nice pair! Your write up comparing the carb vs i 308s is FL Quarterly material, very good stuff!

Pretty nice pictures, Schumacher, and the 308 looks fabulous as always, what a daily driver you have!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Stile

A bit of a problem though - there is a weird sound coming from the cambelt housing - I phoned my mechanic and he said it is either the cambelt bearings or the water pump. I had the water pump done in March last year so I think it may be the cambelt bearing. It is about time for a belt change and I have received my parts from Superformance.

I will have to take the car past him today just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Vitalone, the orange 911 looks very very nice, specially next to the 308, don't know why but it seems that some cars look better together, and the 308 + 911 is a nice pair!
Thanks stile-alpine, the 308+911 make up a dream garage for me. Schumacher and I were recreating the look from that great 80's movie "Against All Odds" where the good guy drives a red 911 convertible (Jeff Bridges) and the bad guy drives a black 308 GTS (James Woods).

As for orange, Onno, it works so well on a 911 and it is a bonus that I get to live in a country where the greatness of orange is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Vitalone, do you keep your cars in both Europe and Africa?

Must be hard to split them up, I guess!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Vitalone, do you keep your cars in both Europe and Africa?

Must be hard to split them up, I guess!
The 2 orange cars live in Africa with the red and white ones living in Europe. Wherever my cars are, is where my home is. So at the moment I feel at home both in Europe and Africa. One day when I eventually buy a property, I guess that will also be home. But I cannot see myself bringing all the cars together, maybe just moving them around a bit (and adding a few more to the family-550, BB, Daytona, F50, GT2, Countach, Miura...)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts