Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I have owned several classic cars and I am fairly handy and mechanically inclined. I have always wanted a Ferrari. Unfortunately, as a retired State Trooper, I can not afford a new one. That said, the body style I like is the 348. Reading on the web seems to indicate that they had many mechanical issues, were somewhat underpowered etc. I wonder what you folks think? Additionally, I see advertisements for 348's with low, low mileage...like 8,000. If I were to purchase one, is it wise to pay the premium price for a low mileage car? Lastly, what is considered to best overall Ferrari, reliability wise, power wise etc.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer these questions.......(oh, yeh, is there a best place to find a good car?)
mark
Detroit Michigan

·
Registered
603 Posts
Welcome to Ferrari Life

I have owned and worked on several classic cars...
The 348 is a comparatively easy car to work on. I've got two left hands when it comes to mechanics, but a friend (an expert but not a Ferrari specilaist) and I did an engine out cambelt service ourselves. I also do my own oil chnages now and can fix other bits and pieces.

My favorite is the 348, however, the web seems to have a lot of opinions which are negative regarding this model.

There's a lot of false statements made about the 348. More so than probably any other Ferrari model around.

When I was first looking for a Ferrari, I was considering a 328 or to wait and get a 355, because of what I had read about the 348. It's only when I started researching that I found out that a lot of what was written about the car was crap.

They seem to indicate that it requires a lot of repairs,
Well, the 348 is coming onto 19 years of age for the first ones and 14 years for the last ones, so things will need to be replaced and refurbished. However, these items are not that expensive to do. Also the engine is largely regarded as being bullet proof.

The achilles heel though is probably the gearbox. A few have had to be rebuilt. I've been told the later models had upgraded parts though.

His underpowered etc.
I've done a few track days and I've never used anywhere near the full potential of the car. Standard is around 300bhp, later models 320bhp, but you can add to it. Mines between 332 & 352 bhp (dependant on what the transmission loss is) and I suspect has been chipped.

Is the 348 a poor choice?
No.........but then I'm biased. :D

Is it better to pay a premium for a low mileage car?
Chances are a low mileage one has been clocked at some point or the speedo disconnected. Also, genuine low mileage ones can have more problems as they don't like to sit about.

Is the Spyder or TS more popular?
Who cares which is popular. Get what you like. :cool:

Here's a thread I created elsewhere. It started off about my 348, but I started to add other 348 stuff on to it. It gives you an idea of costs (in UK currency) and also has the opinions of over fifty 348 owners.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=582925&nmt=Ferrari 348 - info thread

Good luck with whatever you decide to get. :D

·
Registered
465 Posts
Welcome to Ferrari Life, Mark!

I am just a little bit south of you, in Toledo.

I am no expert on 348s, but I've owned about 35 other classic and sports cars, and my suggestions are universal:

As a first-time Ferrari owner, I learned that many of the things I learned with other cars apply much more strongly and severely to Ferraris. For example:

1) Buy the car you want the most. You will pay a lot of money for a Ferrari compared to a similarly-performing car of almost any other make. You will pay a lot of tax. If you don't like the car you buy, the "stupid tax" (i.e. the costs associated with owning a car for a short time and then selling it) is a lot more.

2) Buy the color you want the most. Because of the detail in the sharply-styled Pininfarina bodies, and the mix of steel, fiberglass, aluminum, and [factory] filler, painting an old Ferrari costs more than an old Mercedes. Because it is a Ferrari, it will (and you should) be held to higher standards in the quality of workmanship; again, there is no cheap paint job on a Ferrari.

3) Buy the best condition one you can find. Porsche parts are not expensive. Lotus parts are not expensive. Jaguar parts are not expensive. FERRARI PARTS ARE EXPENSIVE.

4) Forget about mileage -- service history is everything. To believe in low mileage on any V8 Ferrari, it better look the part without question (per your experienced observation) AND have the documentation and owner history to back it up, AND better just "seem that way" per your instincts. I have yet to see in person a 308 whose mileage I totally, without a shadow of a doubt, believe.

5) Use the service history to tell you a story. Continuing on the above, actually READ the service history, and use it to piece together the car's "story", i.e. "what kind of life did it lead?"

6) If there is no record of it in the service history and it is not obvious on the car, it hasn't been done. And if it hasn't been done, and the car is 15-30 years old, you can anticipate doing it. See #3 above!

7) Don't buy to speculate, don't buy based on crowd approval, and don't buy just to have it sit in your garage! Buy the one you want, with the intention of keeping it, to drive and enjoy!

That's what I can offer off of the top of my head.

If you have 348 money, then consider (and test drive) both a 348 and a 328. Read what everyone has to say, and then see for yourself.

If you are in the mood to check out an old 308 GTBi, you're welcome over here in Toledo! :)

Cheers,

Tony

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ciao and welcome

Mark you are making a fine choice in the 348 and as Sy said don't believe the hype.

The 348 is an excellent Ferrari the engine is bullet proof and very easy to work on.

The styling is classic Pininfarina design you cannot mistake this car coming down the road plus it is the last true steering Ferrari meaning no power steering like the girly 355..:D

I suggest you do your home work and find out all the quirks and bad habits of the car.

Remember this car might have a bad rap in the Ferrari world but it is unjust and it still kicks a$$ to all others.:cool:

Might I suggest a Spider,,,:)...chics love vertibles....OOOOOOOOOOWHAT! ...;)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
hehehehe the 348 hard core group has a pretty good defense, doesn't it??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You

Thank you to each of you guys for your responses......I like the 348, at least the way it looks. Trouble is, I am used to big block classic cars (440 cuda) and I have owned some midyear 327 corvettes. What can I expect performance wise...people say they handle like a go kart...does that mean the steering will be very responsive......do they have enough HP (300 or 320) to really push you back in the seat? I love cars, I really do, but I have been burned purchasing cars that I have been unhappy with from the get go. I am absolutely interested in anythling you can offer..
thanks again
mark

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Thank you to each of you guys for your responses......I like the 348, at least the way it looks. Trouble is, I am used to big block classic cars (440 cuda) and I have owned some midyear 327 corvettes. What can I expect performance wise...people say they handle like a go kart...does that mean the steering will be very responsive......do they have enough HP (300 or 320) to really push you back in the seat? I love cars, I really do, but I have been burned purchasing cars that I have been unhappy with from the get go. I am absolutely interested in anythling you can offer..
thanks again
mark
Mark rest assured that this is a Ferrari it will not disappoint.

I have owned many many sport cars and nothing come close to this as a pure driving machine.

My spider is Uber fast with the upgraded x-ost with hyperflows it ads another 15/20 HP bringing it up close to 340/345 HP these are easy mods to do and most cars already have them completed.

Sure there are a few cars that might beat it off the line but hammer down and then start waving goodbye as you reach speeds 150 160 170 +mph

Not that I condone speeding on public streets...:rolleyes:

As for the handling well you heard the terms like it's on rails that's it exactly.

I suggest a few track days to get use to the potential of the 348.

As for sticking you to your seats this car pulls hard in every single gear and I can light my tires up in third no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts