Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for some sort of a 355, but unfortunately I pretty much know nothing about ferrari's. Could you guys lead me in the right direction here? Any year I should stay away from? Coupe or Convert? Looking to spend low 80's and under. (I heard something about valve guides going bad)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Gets it's safe to say that the later production years will be free from early quality issues.
I'd recommend a GTS but that's a personnal bias. Spiders have the downside of the fragility of the soft top, and GTBs miss the stunning howling noise when the top is down.
There's also the usual debate about F1 vs std gate gearbox, you'll find stuff in this forum on the topic ...

Aside from the usual used car checks, things to watch include:
- pristine maintenance history, be stringent on yearly oil changes and services, as well as the 4y/40'000km timing belts changes
- exhaust manifold cracks, frequent problem on all 355s, and damn expensive to replace. Looks for a pffft noise at idle, or for deep throat garbling at 3500rpm. The car should make a perfect howling noise.
- cracks at the basis of C-pillars on cars driven hard on bumpy roads with the sport setting 'on'
- if you're buying a manual, gearbox behaviour when cold (downshifting from 3rd to 2nd for instance) should be scrutinized
- leather quality

Best advice I can give is to see and try a lot of cars and be pa-tient. Don't buy without dealer warranty ;-)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Follow ze-shark. He is right on.
Wait for the correct car. In this game, haste not only makes waste, it can be very costly.

Also welcome to this forum.

:wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx guys, I'll make sure I be patient although I am the most impuslive buyer. If you think of anything else let me know. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts