Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for any advice you can give a first time Ferrari buyer. I have not made a purchase yet but would like some general information that you may offer and that someone like me should know. I'm currently looking at the purchase of a new 360 but I am willing to buy used.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I'm not sure if there are a lot of owners on the board to give you the best advice but we can try.

What modena do you want to buy??
or if a used one what model or how old and what price range

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: first time buyer

For a first time buyer the Modena is an excellent choice. If you are willing to buy used then consider a F355. This was my first Ferrari and it is very reliable as well as fun to drive. I'm currently looking at a 550 and waiting for the 575, this is also a great car but much more expensive. You really cannot go wrong with any purchase unless you get a used Ferrari out of the 80s that will require a lot of maintenance. A used F355 will also be less than the 360 Modena. Buying a Ferrari is just like buying any car, find a dealer you are comfortable with because they will most likely be the dealer to work on it when needed. Learn about the car, drive it and make sure its the right fit for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Momo, the most important thing is that you have it inspected by an independent Ferrari mechanic, NOT a dealer mechanic. And if a deal seems to good to be true, it probably is. No matter how good or new a car looks it could have major interanl problems that will be expensive to fix. If you are in the NY area, i can direct u to a good mechanic. Also, saty away from the F1 system in the F355, they are supposed to be unreliable and unrefined compared to the one in the 360. If u have any more questions i will try to answer them, but im not an owner yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help

Thanks for the comments, I'm more than likely going to go with a new 360 Modena for the reasons you stated on the F355s F1 gearbox and because I'm not sure about the mechanics here in Atlanta but the dealer seems to be a fair place to do business and I feel pretty comfortable with them. Thanks to everyone for the help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ferrari of Atlanta has a good reputation for honestly representing their cars for sale, and correcting problems with cars they sell. Some dealerships you should stay very far away from. Most of them arent authorized, such as the Auto Toy Store, and some are such as Ferrari of New England. One more thing, the 360 is supposed to be worlds above the F355 in driveability, comfort and performance. The F1 system in that car is much more refined, but doesnt give the same feeling as a 6spd. The F1 shifts very fast and would be ideal for track use, so if you plan to track your car this is the way to go. The manual, however, provides the real ferrari experience of moving the stick through the gated shifter. The only way to tell which is right for you is to drive them both, preferably more than one of each. Its not very unusual to find cars of the same model to feel differently (moreso in the older cars, but if youre gonna shell out that kind of money you wanna make sure)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
512TR

What can you tell me about the 512TR? This is the car I'm leaning towards. Is the M 512TR significantly different what is the advantage of it over the older 512 TR other than its newer. Or there any?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The F512 M is the latest version of the Testarossa. It has a redesigned front to resemble that of the F355 and the 456GT. It has a waight reduction of about 18 kilos, an extra 12 hp and new rear lights. According to my information, it goes 305 km/h and 0-100 km/h in 5.1 sec (F512M / 440 hp V12)

·
Registered
28 Posts
F512 M

Its my understanding that Ferrari made fewer F512Ms. I would take this into consideration if you plan to keep the car forever, the F512 M should be worth more. Both are excellent and Modena points out the key differences in his post.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you are looking to buy a 512m, be prepared to spend alot more. Only 500 were made as opposed to the 2,200+ 512tr's made.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Re: 512TR

momo said:
What can you tell me about the 512TR? This is the car I'm leaning towards. Is the M 512TR significantly different what is the advantage of it over the older 512 TR other than its newer. Or there any?
Momo, We should have a new Buyer's Guide covering the Testarossa & 512TR/M models posted in the Member's section later today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts