Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a flash, my brain told my adrenal gland to dump all of its stuff into the system. It was going to need it.

It was early in the evening. I have just left my friend’s condominium in San Clemente, California. He lives in a cow town (Vacaville). Anyway, he and I were on the way to the pier for a drink or two to watch the sunset over the Pacific Ocean. I came to a four way stop. Hummm, I am starting from scratch. As we were talking, I put it into first and put my foot to the floor. Great action!

Well, within a moment or two it was time to change into second. Not having a paddle, I do it the old twentieth century way using a manual clutch. As you release the gas pedal, you put in the clutch. Opps, the engine is continuing to increase in rpm. Now that is not good. This is the time my brain said hello to my adrenaline gland.

There are two ways to handle this. First, you tap the gas and hope it releases. The other way is more dangerous. You must put the clutch in and turn off the engine with the key. You also need to put it into neutral. Remember, when you turn off the engine via the key, the sheering wheel locks.

Anyway, the first way worked. Until I get my next major, I cannot get into see my mechanic. Now I am driving with less acceleration. Nuts.

So is the fun in driving a 550.

:)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Bart, I wouldn't wait until the major to get the accelerator cable checked. You don't want to go through too many 4-way stops at wide open throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Bart...Not worth waiting and possibly blowing the engine or crash the beast and hurt yourself or worst, hurt others...

Get it checked ASAP !

·
Registered
509 Posts
ha, that sounds like lots of fun

I have similar problems all the time. The other day my gas pedal fell off completely while I was driving. No biggie, just had to press on a post instead of a pedal. Also had my carb stick open a couple times. Again, no biggie, a quick tap and its back to normal.

good luck with the problem and get it fixed!! :)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Damn Chris, you're driving a car where pieces fall off and its "No Biggie"? Oh man.
I remember when I was in high school I had a truck that the doors kept flying open on corners. I'd be taking a corner and I'd tell my passenger, "Mind the door." They'd be like, "What? Why? Oh my God!!"

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bart said:
I
Opps, the engine is continuing to increase in rpm. Now that is not good. This is the time my brain said hello to my adrenaline gland.

Anyway, the first way worked. Until I get my next major, I cannot get into see my mechanic. Now I am driving with less acceleration. Nuts.

:)
It may be just a stupid question, but, before spending money for the mechanic, are you sure that it was not an interference between the carpet and the gas pedal?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Pete04222 said:
Damn Chris, you're driving a car where pieces fall off and its "No Biggie"? Oh man.
I remember when I was in high school I had a truck that the doors kept flying open on corners. I'd be taking a corner and I'd tell my passenger, "Mind the door." They'd be like, "What? Why? Oh my God!!"

haha, the cars 36 years old so its hard to preddict when things will go, and be sure they will go. They always get fixed ASAP. Doors that fly open are another story. I would love to see that.
-"YOU SEE THAT?!?!"
"What?"
-"That door just flew open and someone just fell OUT!!"
"Bummer, he should get that fixed."

ha

·
Registered
144 Posts
I know this sort of problems! 4 yearsago when I've got my Licence, I drove a car with mechanikal gearbox with 4 gears, but there worked just 1st and 3rd gears! It was terrible....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great story, Pete!

It reminded me of my first car, a 79 ford thunderbird that used a quart of oil just about every other day and had so many rust holes in the floorpan and rocker panels that driving in the rain meant that your shoes and pantlegs would be soaked by water coming up off the road and into the car. Not a great way to impress the ladies...

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
FunkyJunc said:
-"YOU SEE THAT?!?!"
"What?"
-"That door just flew open and someone just fell OUT!!"
"Bummer, he should get that fixed."

ha
LOL!! I never lost any passengers. After the truck could no longer be repaired I had an old Oldsmobile Delta 88. Big 'ole heavy American land yacht. I was moving up in the world. This car was way better than the old truck. Only problem with this car, aside from the holes in the floorboard like GoonerAmerica's car, was that it didn't have reverse. Not really a problem as long as you chose where to park VERY carefully.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts