Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does having the A/C running affect the performance of the engine in a 360 ???, I have'nt noticed any drop, just curious.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Don't truly know

just guessing, but I would think as any vehicle with an electro-mechanical load to the engine that there would be some additional power degredation.

perhaps not much, but when I warm up and cool down, I do not engage the AC as means to calm the engine.

here's your 360 compressor

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just guessing, but I would think as any vehicle with an electro-mechanical load to the engine that there would be some additional power degredation.

perhaps not much, but when I warm up and cool down, I do not engage the AC as means to calm the engine.

here's your 360 compressor
Thanks Granucci

I turned off the AC yesterday, wound down the window and stepped on it to hear the engine scream, I thought I felt a little sharper pull but was not sure if it was due to the AC being off or my head hanging half out the window.:drive: I warm the car up before driving, you mentioned cool down ? how do you go about that ? If I've been on a good drive I usually slow down of course, switch the engine off and open the engine hood and let it cool.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Thanks Granucci

I turned off the AC yesterday, wound down the window and stepped on it to hear the engine scream, I thought I felt a little sharper pull but was not sure if it was due to the AC being off or my head hanging half out the window.:drive: I warm the car up before driving, you mentioned cool down ? how do you go about that ? If I've been on a good drive I usually slow down of course, switch the engine off and open the engine hood and let it cool.
well, that's a lot more than I do: open the engine cover. Believe that might just be a bit too much for the engine cool down, that is, would like it to be a bit more gradual and not a jolt of cool down.

I usually, after about an hour or more run, just bring it to 2,200-2,400 rpms and cruise about town--which in my case means going around the town square in Sonoma a couple of times...always seems to be at least one exotic on the square--and give the turistas a bit more for their money....then, since I'm so close to the market, go there, shop for the nights food, and make the square one last time......Sebastiani theater, my family's rest. etc. and give the crowd a lookie-see [lots of cameras going off http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoma,_California ], I live 1 block from there so park it: all time taken is about 15-30 min. not including the shopping time.

When I'm away from home, just keep revs down to give it a breather....

I think horse, kind of a feel....don't want to put it away hot, but warm isn't too bad, just not 'sweaty warm' ... perhaps difficult to explain, but when it's cooled, it is calm.

In garage, I don't mind keeping the garage warmish, just not hot...say about 70'ish...or more...course, I live in NorCal, so might be different...keep a thermostatic heater alway in the on position, but only goes on truly in Winter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Granucci

Sure I understand, you lost me there in the middle bit, but I'm with you :D , only here the outside temp is around 35 to 42 degrees celsius at the mo, I think thats about 107 in your language, if I sit in traffic the guage tips just over 100, once out on the highway everything cools down with a reading around the first mark after 60 and the oil temp around the same. I'm not driving hard and only have the odd blast to get the heart rate up rest of the time its just like every else on the road, well kinda.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Hi Granucci

Sure I understand, you lost me there in the middle bit, but I'm with you :D , only here the outside temp is around 35 to 42 degrees celsius at the mo, I think thats about 107 in your language, if I sit in traffic the guage tips just over 100, once out on the highway everything cools down with a reading around the first mark after 60 and the oil temp around the same. I'm not driving hard and only have the odd blast to get the heart rate up rest of the time its just like every else on the road, well kinda.
do you have much problem with overheating in stop-go/traffic situations?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem as yet, with a reading of just over 100 on the water temp after sitting in trafic for around 4 or 5 mins how much hotter will she be ok with ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gear Change

I'm also noticing gear shifts are smother (manual) with the A/C off, which makes sense.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I'm also noticing gear shifts are smother (manual) with the A/C off, which makes sense.

hmm, not thought of this one. Don't know why A/C would make trans shift better, they are not connected.

as for the temp sitting in traffic: a LOT especially on a HOT day like yesterday [101F from Sonoma to Sacramento], and running the car at about 90mph for about 50-70 miles straight with ac on.....when I came to traffic it was approaching the red mark, and
I cut ac off and temp started to decrease.
once, two weeks ago, I had to put the heaters on to bring temp way down...We have stop and go traffic on I-80 at two spots, and it can overheat after a sprited drive

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Granucci

That makes me feel a bit better in that I'm nowhere near the red mark in the trafic, The car is GCC specification ? and I suspect that means uprated cooling among other things or though not sure of that at all, but it would make sense in this region and Ferrari sell alot of cars here so perhapes they beef up the cooling to cope with the higher average temps ?
As for the shifting, if the A/C is in some way uprated it may put an etra load on the engine and reduce revs quicker between gears ??????? :confused:
On a different topic I spent the day at the F1 track today driving a Caterham flat out around the full GP circuit with a race instructor :drive: I have a lot to learn ! I was'nt bad, bit I knew when I was getting it wrong, it really makes you appreciate F1

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Hey Granucci

That makes me feel a bit better in that I'm nowhere near the red mark in the trafic, The car is GCC specification ? and I suspect that means uprated cooling among other things or though not sure of that at all, but it would make sense in this region and Ferrari sell alot of cars here so perhapes they beef up the cooling to cope with the higher average temps ?
As for the shifting, if the A/C is in some way uprated it may put an etra load on the engine and reduce revs quicker between gears ??????? :confused:
On a different topic I spent the day at the F1 track today driving a Caterham flat out around the full GP circuit with a race instructor :drive: I have a lot to learn ! I was'nt bad, bit I knew when I was getting it wrong, it really makes you appreciate F1
tracking...GREAT, and lucky....I live about 3miles from Infineon, and my next door neighbor [has a 360 and 430 on order] tracks there every other month.

you sound correct about the rev think, and I guess that can affect the tran especially in an automatic.....but with the HP I have, it can overcome it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
THE COMPUTER OF THE CAR WILL DISENGAGE THE COMPRESSOR CLUTCH ON HIGH TORQUE DEMANDS FROM THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL BASED ON TPS SIGNALS. BASICALLY, HAVING THE AC ON WONT AFFECT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE DRIVING.

sorry for caps just noticed them dont feel like rewriting hahaha.

Eddie Rosado

1 - 13 of 13 Posts