Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Today I won a bit and lost a bit. Hopefully with a bit of elp from you fine folks, I can be certain that overall I won today.

First, I found out that Stabilizer 22 is made from relatively common industrial chemicals ( hint search the CAS #s - tradenames are even given ). So I am able to make my own when I run out.

Also found out that the R22 AC unit has already been converted to 134a. That was the good news.

As my climate control system periodically blanks out, I decided to clean the barried relays and fuses under the bonnet.

Here I discovered that one fuse was missing???

Also in the process I broke a wire to a relay. I soldered it back in but am not certain that it is connected.

Everything seems to work but I have never been able to be certain that the recirculate cabin air switch is doing anything. On other cars, the fan noise gets much loader. Maybe this has never worked.

I scanned a crude diagram and if anyone can tell me
1) what is the amperage of the fuse in F4 spot? I guessed at 3 A.

What does Relay 6 do ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Gary...Are you talking about this one? I believe it's the diagnostics for the ABS. Leave it out or the ABS will be disabled. 7.5 amp installed for testing only...normally empty.

Not yet sure about relay 6. It's not in that location on my car. I'll look in to it but its probably not your issue.

regarding your recirc question, there is a common problem with the recirc flap and associated mechanism. The problem...its cheap plastic and breaks easily. Resolution...Ricambi has a replacement part made of brass. Relatively simple to install.

Lane

Attachments

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
oops..forgot recirc flap scan. Part 23 is the motor, the black thing behind 24 is the flap itself. Its neoprene coated, easy to see, and obvious when inoperable.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Lane

I appreciate the quick repy on the fuse. I had "guessed" and put a 3A in there. Started the car and ran all the heating/ AC functions and nothing had changed. When I pulled the fuse and saw it had not blown, I figured it was okay.

Removed it now as we are leaving on a 300 mile ( wet ) trip for a lunch. I certainly would not like to be "ABS less" today.

I appreciate the info on the brass piece from Ricambi. However, I need to do a bit more looking as I suspect that the whole flap part may be missing. When I look inot the fan section, I do not see anything that looks like it moves into place - but that is without totally taking the covering out from under the hood. For the relays and fuses, I just peeled the corner up by removing the weatherstripping. Full investigation later.

Greg

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had a problem with the AC stopping occasionally.

Turns out it was teh fan motor in the front luggage compartment. Does it work when you switch the AC on? If not, then you need to atke it out and get it re-soldered. Cost me £40 to have it done.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need to check

That is a good question Angelis.

The AC is cool but certainly not ice cold. The climate control system tends to not be consistent. I was thinking that the sensor needed cleaning or was making spotty contact but it may be the front fan.

I will need to check this - just one more item on the list of minor issues.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Won Today....

Took the full front carpeting out to see why the recirculation would not work. I fully expected that the best case scenario, I would be ordering the brass connector that St. Bastage told me about. KNowing how things often work, I expected worse.....

It turned out that the flapper had been pulled out of its pivot and the sealing foam covered up that it was a pivot.
A simple removal of a thin piece of foam tape, proper replacement of the flapper valve and viola works perfect.

Celebrated with a beer.

All in all, a good afternoon.

Greg

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Good work Greg...Isn't it rewarding to do the work yourself. So many owners miss out on the experience. To me, I'm drawn to my car even more. It makes me feel more like part of the team.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One with the car....

I fully agree. Every time I work on a different part, I feel that I know the machine better.
I tend to start slowly and work on easy stuff first and slowly get into the more mechanical items as I get more familiar and comfortable with the vehicle.

It does make changing rides more difficult when you think about the hours invested.

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts