Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not exactly Ferrari racing... so if a moderator wants to move it: Be my guest.

Last night I saw a report on the new A1 Grand Prix by that Dubai Sheik Mahtoub el Mahtoub... (or something like that)

I'm very impressed by the speed with which they set up this series. It started in the spring of 2004 and now it's a real championship. Very nice that all the cars are the same and that they use Brands Hatch for their first race. Brands Hatch is a very nice circuit. Also very cool that it's a nation's cup of sorts.

I'm very much looking forward to the race this weekend.

What's your take on the newest addition to automotive sportiness?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Wow! I like it! I like the fact that it is a level playing field. All the cars are the same (provided by A1 Grand Prix), there are no electronic driving aids and only limited adjustments are allowed. And having 25 teams instead of 10 should provide a little more competition.

I found a good site for it: http://www.a1grandprix.co.uk/

I looked up team USA and the American driver's name is, get this, Scott Speed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I will be going Sunday and have press tckts so will be able to access most areas. will post pics up later. Brands have apparently sold 80k tcts for the Fri, Sat Sun which is fantastic. i hope this encourages genuine racing again and makes F1 sit and take notice.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lola made a very good deal with this. They supply the cars. Zytek (or something) delivered 50 engines and gearboxes. Also a very good deal. And the tyres are from an american company which name I forgot.

Looks like a very international car. English cars, swiss or austrian (can't remember) engine and gearbox, american tyres, Dubai dude who heads all this...

I'm a fan allready and the races haven't even started yet.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I missed the sprint but Bob said it was kinda boring... but the race was very cool. Enjoyed myself thoroughly

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I just saw the resume of the race

Nelsinho did a great job, his father (Nelson Piquet) is from my city, and Nelsinho also lived here until a few years ago

it is great to see that he is doing such a great job driving race cars, like his father did in the past

I think that Nelsinho and Felipe Massa will bring happiness back to Brazil, with many Formula 1 victories, in the next years

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
You can follow the races live on their website, you just need to register with a working e-mail, and yes its free

normally i was planning on attending next weeks race on the Lausitz, but it turns out that i'll be "stuck" on Oschersleben

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard that they can only use one engine during the whole season... so besides it being very competative... it's a very economic (cheap? :p) racing class. Reliability is a very big issue in A1 and that's good.

Yeah... this one is a keeper :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
A very good series! Here we can see the real power of a racer! The best of them of course will arive in F1..... =)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts